• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've been seeing these around more and more now days. Are they the way to go next time you need to change gas rings out? Do they really last longer? What are the pros and cons if you go to one piece gas ring?

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    How do you get a one-piece gas ring around the bolt?

I think they're coiled and you have to snake it in. I've not installed one, but had a bolt that had one in it already.

That is correct. You sort of wind it on. We had a very sticky bolt/BCG on a PSA 6.5CM last year that was causing cycling issues. Replaced the stock gas rings with a 1 piece and the bolt closes very smooth now. We moved to 1 piece gas rings a few years ago after seeing a couple 556 bolts-rings get really fouled. YMMV

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That is correct. You sort of wind it on. We had a very sticky bolt/BCG on a PSA 6.5CM last year that was causing cycling issues. Replaced the stock gas rings with a 1 piece and the bolt closes very smooth now. We moved to 1 piece gas rings a few years ago after seeing a couple 556 bolts-rings get really fouled. YMMV

Thanks for the reply B&G. What brand did you use? I'm going to order in several for future replacement parts.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Thanks for the reply B&G. What brand did you use? I'm going to order in several for future replacement parts.

We used a-
    JP EGR 308- https://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPEGR-308 but found it on sale.
    JSE Surplus also has a McFarland style (one piece)- McFarland Style 1 Piece Gas Ring FOR 308 - Helical

Its a little pricey but I figured I'm not going to replace it very often. Buy once-cry once.

Be sure it fits with your AR10 style- DPMS, etc.

Night and day different on cycling on our PSA-6.5CM. YMMV and all that stuff.

Take care,
    B&G

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    We used a-
    JSE Surplus also has a McFarland style (one piece)- McFarland Style 1 Piece Gas Ring FOR 308 - Helical

Its a little pricey but I figured I'm not going to replace it very often. Buy once-cry once.

Take care,
    B&G

Do they make them for the AR15 platform?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    We used a-

Take care,
    B&G

Thanks for the links. I'm stocking up on those little parts that the AR rifle needs just in case. The ones that seem to break and wear out.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    These have been popular among NRA Highpower shooters for at least the last 20 years. As stated not difficult to install, function better, and last longer. Run them in all my gas guns. +1.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom