Saving a Colt 1903 Hammerless, whats left anyways.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    I picked this up from a friend over the weekend. I remembered him getting it years ago and told him to let me know if he ever got rid of it, he said he would. He kept his word.. At $75 it was worth it to me.

I don't know a whole lot about them, to be frank I don't think I've ever handled one. It is an early version, 1906 from the way the serial number is looking. Shes had a very rough 100 years... Looks like it was carried a lot and dropped a lot from the damage on the muzzle and rear of the slide.

A handful of parts are missing but you can still find a lot of the parts, some are even newly manufactured. I believe I'm stuck machining a new barrel bushing and recoil spring plug though. I going to try and work the steel or make new to hide or remove the dings, well see.

I've chose to parkerize it. A part of me died inside removing the old finish, something I rarely do with old ones. Some though, reach the point of no return. I'm not worried about the value doing this for the main reason is I don't plan on selling it. Figured in the state its in it would make an excellent candidate for a shooter grade 1903.

KvawEBm.jpg

5MpChNs.jpg

YIPvwGT.jpg

8zNwD2v.jpg

37CLvTr.jpg

sCKKu1e.jpg

MTNd1B2.jpg

i8uNyDT.jpg

SalAf5G.jpg

ErsC0U1.jpg

hheTJBV.jpg

k4wnM5X.jpg

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Putting it back together is the trick. Someone on INGO did a assembly guide on these. Think it was Geronimo Joe or like that.

Some one else sent one out to be engraved and reblued. Can't recall who that was. Had roses on the grip.

They are neat little pistols.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This will be very cool to see you bring this one up. Keep posting your progress.

It's fun to take something from that kind of condition to much better condition.

My idea of recycling!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    What in the world happened along that guns life. That is well beyond just dropped.

Good on you sir for saving this one.

Looks like a previous owner used channel locks or vise grips on the barrel bushing and slipped off and into the barrel several times.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Looks like a previous owner used channel locks or vise grips on the barrel bushing and slipped off and into the barrel several times.

I don't think you're too far off..

What I'm guessing is who ever had it, dropped it enough on its nose that it bound the bushing up not allowing it to turn for disassembly. Thus leading to channel locks or a flat head and a hammer lol.

It was deformed enough that the recoil spring plunger was stuck in position, had to tap it out with a brass punch.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    A company (we deal in lead )might be able to supply some parts google the name I have restored a couple that were completely locked up from rust . Also some companies sell complete parts kits minus the frame have some parts from later models (NO bushings though)
    h4QxXEA.jpg

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    A company (we deal in lead )might be able to supply some parts google the name I have restored a couple that were completely locked up from rust . Also some companies sell complete parts kits minus the frame have some parts from later models (NO bushings though)

Appreciate the info! quite a collection you have there, would like to get a nicer one, one day

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Did a little work last night. Got the barrel recrowned and some models drawn up for the barrel bushing and recoil spring plug

pcezprg.jpg

ocGr1Gp.png

iL69e4e.png

You shouldn't need to re-do the bushing it doesn't seem that bad, dress the front back up and just re-radius the outside edge to eliminate the gouges and it'll probably correlate better with your slide beveling anyway.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    You shouldn't need to re-do the bushing it doesn't seem that bad, dress the front back up and just re-radius the outside edge to eliminate the gouges and it'll probably correlate better with your slide beveling anyway.

Considered that but there is no material left to engage the spring plug, to keep it from rotating.

JY9Vywq.jpg

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Did a little work this evening. Gotten most of the barrel bushing done. Still have some grinding to do on it. I think it turned out ok, definitely look better than before.

xhzso5V.jpg

7mZjFcu.jpg

fe0P29j.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    h4QxXEA.jpg

Good looking group Walt!

Top Bottom