• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Don't know if I would reduce d.a. pull much if any by taking weight off of the hammer. I know it works with Smiths but the actions seem to be apples and oranges. Any experience would be very interesting to hear.

Other question, want to play with minimum hammer spring force, assuming you do not cut the spring too short to have tension when the hammer is fully forward, is there any disadvantage to cutting down say a 12# spring versus cutting down a 9# spring? Running a 9# which appears to be more than I need, could save a few bucks by cutting on the 10# and 12# springs I have rather than buying more 9's or finding a lower weight somewhere.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Lighting the hammer won't reduce the trigger pull weight at all. It allows you to reduce the spring pressure while maintaining reliability.
    Same physics apply to Rugers as S&W or Colts.

Yes you can shorten heavier springs and get a similar pull weight. My experience is the difference between 100% reliability and misfires can be half a coil so it can be touchy.
    if you get one two short you can put shims on the strut to add some tension back.

Careful with Ruger's they won't sell you parts if you mess them up. That is why I don't usually work on them.

FWIW several years ago I played around with one of my competition S&W guns that with my lightened hammer and a trigger pull just under 6 pounds and NO light strikes in 30K rounds. I put a full hammer in the gun and didn't change anything else. Fired 300 rounds and had a light strike ratio of about 5% if I recall correctly.

Miss you at the matches. Hope you hurry back as all the crap my wife used to give you she gives to me now.:):

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    If you are just trying to get a better trigger pull and maybe lighter check out MCarbo. They have a video on Youtube of exactly what to polish with Flitz. I followed the video, and bought their springs and shims and it made my GP100 a joy to shoot. If you are ever around Indy send me a message and you are welcome to check it out.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Lighting the hammer won't reduce the trigger pull weight at all. It allows you to reduce the spring pressure while maintaining reliability.
    Same physics apply to Rugers as S&W or Colts.

Yes you can shorten heavier springs and get a similar pull weight. My experience is the difference between 100% reliability and misfires can be half a coil so it can be touchy.
    if you get one two short you can put shims on the strut to add some tension back.

FWIW several years ago I played around with one of my competition S&W guns that with my lightened hammer and a trigger pull just under 6 pounds and NO light strikes in 30K rounds. I put a full hammer in the gun and didn't change anything else. Fired 300 rounds and had a light strike ratio of about 5% if I recall correctly.

Miss you at the matches. Hope you hurry back as all the crap my wife used to give you she gives to me now.:):

Great info, and I thank you. Particularly like the hammer weight versus ignition testing info.
    The physics of a heavy hammer that absorbs energy from the spring more efficiently versus a light hammer that absorbs less energy from the spring but reaches a higher speed, have always confused me. On my Tanfoglio the big kids seem to go with heavier than stock hammers but on my 929 that was set up by the best (thanks!) the light hammer works well.

Playing around with the heavier springs at first will save me a buck or two.

Plan to start getting braver about large groups in July, until then please extend my highest regards to the mouthy one :) .

If you are just trying to get a better trigger pull and maybe lighter check out MCarbo. They have a video on Youtube of exactly what to polish with Flitz. I followed the video, and bought their springs and shims and it made my GP100 a joy to shoot. If you are ever around Indy send me a message and you are welcome to check it out.

Thanks! I have done the Mcarbo treatment on my 2 GP100's and I agree with you that it makes a huge improvement, for a $20.00 investment it is a steal. I'm trying to go lighter than their lightest (9#) hammer spring right now to see where I can get to using soft deep seated federal primers, the kit left me at about 7 3/4# double action with stock hammers. It appears from looking at primer indentation that I have room for improvement.

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Getting a nice trigger pull in double action on a Ruger GP or Redhawk is more about removing all of the huge burrs Ruger leaves in their guns than lightening springs. You will never get a Ruger DA pull as nice as you can a S&W because the parts geometry is completely different but you can gain some improvement. On a new Ruger revolver trigger job I have to spend most of one evening just finding and stoning off the burrs. They're everywhere.

Top Bottom