• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I thought these carbine trigger housing were steel. Apparently not this one (Plainfield Machine). A few light taps using a small wooden block was enough to knock a chunk out of the trigger guard.

These were built using GI surplus parts so I guess I hunt down a striped replacement. I doubt that this can be welded and refinished.

Does anyone know of a local gun store with old WWII gun parts like this? The Indy1500 isn't going to happen anytime soon. Not sure who the vendor was at those shows that specialized in the M1 Carbine but I bet he has one.

a4d0b00f9274e985698bd7404710d07f.jpg
    bc2af782f674c8aadaadc37df7658d0a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I bought a Winchester version from ebay a few years ago. I'm not sure if you can still do that.

However, let me look through my stuff. My original guard was good, but since my Carbine was all Winchester except for the trigger guard, I bought one so I would have a 100% Winchester version.

I'll report back if I find it. Sorry if I got your hopes up. I don't have it anymore. Now that I think about it, mine may have had some issue and I replaced it with a Winchester since I had to anyway. I don't discard serviceable gun stuff.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for looking!

Ebay has some, a few other online retailers have them. I need to borrow my sister's M1 Carbine
    & see if a real mil-spec housing will actually work. That one is a National Postal.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I thought these carbine trigger housing were steel. Apparently not this one (Plainfield Machine). A few light taps using a small wooden block was enough to knock a chunk out of the trigger guard.

These were built using GI surplus parts so I guess I hunt down a striped replacement. I doubt that this can be welded and refinished.

Does anyone know of a local gun store with old WWII gun parts like this? The Indy1500 isn't going to happen anytime soon. Not sure who the vendor was at those shows that specialized in the M1 Carbine but I bet he has one.

From my understanding Plainfield Machine made copies
    If it was a original manufacturer made by these Companies:
    Inland
    Winchester
    Irwin-Pendersen
    Saginaw
    Underwood
    National Postal Meter
    Quality Harware
    Winchester
    International Business Machines
    Rock-Ola Standard Products

Then it should have been a steel trigger guard unless it was replaced with a after market piece.

I have a Underwood M-1 Carbine that was my late Grandfathers, handed down to my Dad, when when my Grandpa passed, and in 2001 when my father passed I got it.
    Got several 10,15 and 30 round magazines and a .50 cal ammo box filled with .30 cal ammo. One of these days I may get in contact with the CMP about a refurb on it.
    You might also be able to contact them about a trigger gaurd.

Heard people say that the M-1 Carbine wasn't a great rifle, but seen a YouTube video years ago of a guy punching holes in a 8 inch thick tree I think at 100 yards.

Can it be repaired, yes, you'll have to find a quality welding/machine shop, the finish will be a issue, but at least it will be functional and safe.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Did you ask Allen?

Or, call Carmel Welding. Those guys are really good. 317-846-3493

I also have a Plainfield. I also thought they were made from surplus parts. I'll have to go back and research that.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    A BIG THANKS to Maxipum for the trigger housing! All parts transferred over into his aluminum housing. Everything function checks out OK; safe, fire, reset, etc. It's a bit different shaped near the rear and I'm sanding the stock (don't worry, it's not a mil-spec) to get it to fit. It's VERY close to all back together.

There must have been a casting flaw in the original housing as the rest of the trigger guard broke completely off. NOT worth welding as the grain structure looks poor.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Pew pew back together and ready to go.
    84679a37396bedf5f5a93ff6750af5e0.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Did you ask Allen?

Or, call Carmel Welding. Those guys are really good. 317-846-3493

I also have a Plainfield. I also thought they were made from surplus parts. I'll have to go back and research that.

IIRC, the early ones were almost completely USGI except for the receiver. Then, over the years, more and more parts were made new as new old stock supplies dried up. I have a Plainfield that dates to around 1978 and the receiver and stock are the only non-USGI parts in it.

Top Bottom