• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Is there anyone in Indiana known for action work on Marlin lever actions? I put mine on paper for the first time this week and I noticed the trigger to have some grittiness to it. I'm also considering a peep sight or a 1-4X scope. My groups were 4-5 inches but my sights obscured the bull at 100 yds. I had somewhat of a group about 1.5-2 inches low so I moved the elevator 1 notch up and then groups were about 3-4 inches high. Suggestions?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    How many rounds have you put down range? Your action will smooth out after a bit of use. But for a local gunsmith experienced in this particular rifle, I got nothing.

For peep sights there are many options. Lyman makes the quintessential tang sight and a very nice receiver mounted peep sight. Skinner also makes several peep sights that looks right at home on the 336 ... and they work!

If you do go with a new rear sight, you might also have to change out the front sight.

If you want a scope, give Alan Alcorn at A&A Optics a call ... he'll get you all set up.

Final thought ... use the spring steel "rear sight" from the factory to fashion a dovetail blank ... that's about all they're truly good for.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    How many rounds have you put down range? Your action will smooth out after a bit of use. But for a local gunsmith experienced in this particular rifle, I got nothing.

For peep sights there are many options. Lyman makes the quintessential tang sight and a very nice receiver mounted peep sight. Skinner also makes several peep sights that looks right at home on the 336 ... and they work!

If you do go with a new rear sight, you might also have to change out the front sight.

If you want a scope, give Alan Alcorn at A&A Optics a call ... he'll get you all set up.

Final thought ... use the spring steel "rear sight" from the factory to fashion a dovetail blank ... that's about all they're truly good for.
    This^. How many rounds have been through the rifle.

Love my Skinner peep on my 30aw. You WILL need a taller front post if you do this or any peep.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Look up Wild West trigger on the internet, it's an easy aftermarket install that works on all 336 based actions. I have it on all of my hunting Marlins.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I was thinking about a 1x-4x from either Leupold or Burris. I'm pretty much sold on Leupold.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have some Skinner winged sights on a 336. Accurate with 4"-5" groups out to 100 yds. Also has a burris fastfire to enrage the traditionalists. I have thought about going with a scout scope like I have on my 1894 but since it is a very old model, the spacing on the rear sight dovetail and receiver holes does not match up with the preferred XS scout rail.

attachment.php

Top Bottom