Join INGunOwners For Free
    Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Marlin 336 action work

Is there anyone in Indiana known for action work on Marlin lever actions? I put mine on paper for the first time this week and I noticed the trigger to have some grittiness to it. I'm also considering a peep sight or a 1-4X scope. My groups were 4-5 inches but my sights obscured the bull at 100 yds. I had somewhat of a group about 1.5-2 inches low so I moved the elevator 1 notch up and then groups were about 3-4 inches high. Suggestions?

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

How many rounds have you put down range? Your action will smooth out after a bit of use. But for a local gunsmith experienced in this particular rifle, I got nothing.

For peep sights there are many options. Lyman makes the quintessential tang sight and a very nice receiver mounted peep sight. Skinner also makes several peep sights that looks right at home on the 336 ... and they work!

If you do go with a new rear sight, you might also have to change out the front sight.

If you want a scope, give Alan Alcorn at A&A Optics a call ... he'll get you all set up.

Final thought ... use the spring steel "rear sight" from the factory to fashion a dovetail blank ... that's about all they're truly good for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Kackowski View Post
    How many rounds have you put down range? Your action will smooth out after a bit of use. But for a local gunsmith experienced in this particular rifle, I got nothing.

For peep sights there are many options. Lyman makes the quintessential tang sight and a very nice receiver mounted peep sight. Skinner also makes several peep sights that looks right at home on the 336 ... and they work!

If you do go with a new rear sight, you might also have to change out the front sight.

If you want a scope, give Alan Alcorn at A&A Optics a call ... he'll get you all set up.

Final thought ... use the spring steel "rear sight" from the factory to fashion a dovetail blank ... that's about all they're truly good for.
    This^. How many rounds have been through the rifle.

Love my Skinner peep on my 30aw. You WILL need a taller front post if you do this or any peep.
    "You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent"-Fundamentals of chess 1883

User Info Menu

Look up Wild West trigger on the internet, it's an easy aftermarket install that works on all 336 based actions. I have it on all of my hunting Marlins.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

The trigger will likely get smoother with use. As far as sights, Ranger Point Precision makes some nice ones as does Skinner.
    Medium speed. Moderate drag.

User Info Menu

And being a classic rifle, if scoped it ought to have a classic looking optic.

Read: not some large eyepiece import

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

I was thinking about a 1x-4x from either Leupold or Burris. I'm pretty much sold on Leupold.

User Info Menu

I have some Skinner winged sights on a 336. Accurate with 4"-5" groups out to 100 yds. Also has a burris fastfire to enrage the traditionalists. I have thought about going with a scout scope like I have on my 1894 but since it is a very old model, the spacing on the rear sight dovetail and receiver holes does not match up with the preferred XS scout rail.

"If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

Marksman

User Info Menu

Here is one used by a lot of SASS shooters: Lassiter (Tom) 937-687-1039 He's in Ohio.

Battle of Belleau Wood, The Battle of Iwo Jima, Battle of Chosin Reservor,Tet Offensive!