• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Thought I'd share an old project of mine I did a few years ago. I've had a couple individuals ask about it in other threads I've posted it, so here it is.

First off I just want to say this is NOT my design, nor will I take credit for it. Whom ever the original creator was, they're definitely a creative one and kudos to them.

I just happened to stumble across it on GrabCAD one day. I thought it was a very interesting concept and worth experimentation. For the most part if you're half way familiar with a Bridgeport you could machine one of these up in about a day.

By no means is it ascetically pleasing but its a very good example of what it takes minimally for a firearm to work. Whats important, whats not. I have about $40 in the entire pistol. The lower literally came from the scrap barrel. Some pieces still have scaring from the scrap barrel the never fully cleaned up when I machined it. Other parts like the barrel were given to me, because they were "broken." I tend to twist the term broken around from time to time... One man's trash is another man's treasure.

One of these days I'll have to get some prints made up from the models if anyone wants to build one of their own later. It does have some design limitations. Such as not having a bolt catch, no detents for the take down pins and its limited to just the traditional steel mags. I don't know how the durability would be over time, but it isn't something that I'm going to blast 1000s of rounds out of it anytime soon. Just purely experimental. With a little thought and creativity it could be redesigned, which might be something I do later. But for now I've got bigger projects to fool with for the time being lolol.

oiJrmmj.jpg

8IfR6gI.jpg

4DxkMA2.jpg

rsXnvy3.jpg

Ffy2xnp.jpg

Y7WqEM3.jpg

0w5HkiD.jpg

Q02ITfo.png

ARRAY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Griffith
    That is very awsome, definitely something I would not mind trying someday. I just have to get a few more spare parts together.

Last edited:

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    You can manufacture a firearm for personal use, but you cannot sell it. As long as the firearm you are making is legal, you can make pretty much whatever you want.

You can technically sell it later if you want to. This was a discussion that was brought to my attention about a month ago.

Reading through ATFs laws, you can indeed sell one you made as long as the original intent was for personal use and it was not made to sell.

It is a very grey area between the lines. To be Frank something that I wouldn't want to argue with an agent about. It would be a lot of your word against theirs type situation. One I'm not willing to attempt.

I will try to find the actual ATF document and post it. But googling it you can find some info. It was something new I learned.

You can make anything you want including DDs, SBRs, SBSs and suppressors (with form 1 of course). Just cant manufacture new machine guns, you have to be a SOT holder.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Is that steel? Could it be machined from 6061? I have the capability to machine the 6061. What's the legalities?

It is Aluminum. I would say 6061, since that's generally the grade we work with. But seeing it all came out of the scrap barrel, theres a chance it might be a different grade on some pieces.

sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    I have been thinking about something just like this. I was thinking about making part of it from Delrin, and the mag well part form 6061. The only thing keeping me from trying it is the threaded portion for the buffer tube. I don't have the skills to make one like that.

I might be able to get one together for a .22 upper that doesn't need a buffer tube. If it slows down at work I may have to start collection scrap pieces...

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    You can technically sell it later if you want to. This was a discussion that was brought to my attention about a month ago.

Reading through ATFs laws, you can indeed sell one you made as long as the original intent was for personal use and it was not made to sell.

It is a very grey area between the lines. To be Frank something that I wouldn't want to argue with an agent about. It would be a lot of your word against theirs type situation. One I'm not willing to attempt.

I will try to find the actual ATF document and post it. But googling it you can find some info. It was something new I learned.

You can make anything you want including DDs, SBRs, SBSs and suppressors (with form 1 of course). Just cant manufacture new machine guns, you have to be a SOT holder.

You are correct. Thank you for correcting me. I should have said you cannot manufacture a firearm with the intent to sell it. But as you said, it is a tricky subject.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I have been thinking about something just like this. I was thinking about making part of it from Delrin, and the mag well part form 6061. The only thing keeping me from trying it is the threaded portion for the buffer tube. I don't have the skills to make one like that.

I might be able to get one together for a .22 upper that doesn't need a buffer tube. If it slows down at work I may have to start collection scrap pieces...
    I would say the receiver extension tube attachment area would be the only thing that would benefit from being made of aluminum vs delrin in this application. The rest of an AR receiver is relatively low stress.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    You are correct. Thank you for correcting me. I should have said you cannot manufacture a firearm with the intent to sell it. But as you said, it is a tricky subject.

Yep, it was something new to me too not too long ago. As far as grey areas go with ATF laws, I would say that's probably the worst lolol

Top Bottom