• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hickox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2020
    West Terre Haute
    Happy freedom weekend to all out there. I have a savage model 10 ashbury precision chambered in a 6.5 CM. I am having a feeding issue with both magpul plastic 5 round and new AI - AICS 10 rounder also. The round feeds into the throat but the rear or primer end is high on the bolt lugs. If u release pressure then feed it drops the base and goes right in. Needed help please.

Matt from Terre Haute

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Unfortunately that sounds pretty typical of Savage bolt actions in my experience over a half-dozen rifles...good shooters but feed issues galore.

Savages have sloppy bolt tolerance with the receiver and that play can induce a tolerance stacking issue that causes what you are experiencing.

Try running the bolt as straight as possible, without any up or down vertical movement on the bolt. Some rifles run better fast, some run better slow, some run better if you're behind them vs. holding the rifle low in your hands and feeding a round. You might also check to ensure the magazine is hanging freely and you are putting no upward pressure on the magazine while chambering a round.

hickox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2020
    West Terre Haute
    Well crap.... my plastic magpul and by metal AI mags do fit really tight. I thought maybe they would wear in. I have tried going easy and fast and stern. I just really want to start shooting competition to learn. But I need this thing to function also

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Make sure you aren’t inadvertently imparting an upward vertical pressure on the bold handle as you push the bolt forward; that can cause what you are describing.

I could run newer Savages fairly well by consciously putting slight downward pressure on the bolt handle when chambering a round, and experienced fewest issues at “medium” manipulation speed.

Top Bottom