Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My MKIV is getting light strikes way too much

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

My MKIV is getting light strikes way too much

Last night I had some new shooters over to the house. Naturally I wanted to let them get all the reps in they wanted using my ruger MKIV tactical 22lr. I would keep the mags fed as they were working on the fundamentals and safe handling and just practicing away. It seemed like we were getting a light primer strike with every mag and maybe two. The ammo being used was Federal Automatch and I can confirm it was a light primer strike in each case.

I've done some tinkering and light duty gunsmith work but I'm not sure where to start here. I'm thinking I need a stronger spring, but I don't know exactly. What suggestions have you all got?

User Info Menu

50 bucks and I'll take it off your hands, so as not to scare off any new shooters.
    “Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.” -Chesty Puller

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1775usmarine View Post
    50 bucks and I'll take it off your hands, so as not to scare off any new shooters.

$50 bucks for the gun and I'll include one brick of 325rds of ammo for a total package price of $1,000 and it's yours.

User Info Menu

Is everything relatively clean?

Check and make sure the firing pin is in good shape, then consider changing the mainspring, or a complete new mainspring assembly.

I found this, but it's out of stock.
    https://store.wirthweinguns.com/Fact...mk-msp-spg.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?
    Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    You would do well to avoid his "caramelized banana" trap offer.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Everything is fairly clean. Not too much crud built up inside, but far from a mirror.

At one time I bought the VQ tune up kit and had a smith put it all in there. I think i just went too light and not really sure what to do now. I'm not sure where the original factory parts ever ended up.

User Info Menu

Clean the breech face first. Sometimes a small screwdriver used as a scraper is just the tool. This build up effectively shortens the firing pin and cushions the firing pin strike. Found this out when a buddy and I had a "contest" to see how many rounds before we had to clean our Mark 2s. I'm a clean gun freak and this bugged the heck out of me.
    Laser eyed dog has mellowed (Daughters "hair missile")and cat is alive and well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
    Everything is fairly clean. Not too much crud built up inside, but far from a mirror.

At one time I bought the VQ tune up kit and had a smith put it all in there. I think i just went too light and not really sure what to do now. I'm not sure where the original factory parts ever ended up.
    Tune up kits don't typically mess with the mainspring, just the trigger, sear, and the hammer.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    Tune up kits don't typically mess with the mainspring, just the trigger, sear, and the hammer.
    My fear was that the trigger spring was lightened for a lighter trigger pull and wasn't hitting the primer with enough force. This is the kind of stuff that's out of my league. I can swap some parts, but really diving in and knowing what does what is a problem.

User Info Menu

My fear was that the trigger spring was lightened for a lighter trigger pull and wasn't hitting the primer with enough force. This is the kind of stuff that's out of my league. I can swap some parts, but really diving in and knowing what does what is a problem.
    I'm not sure, but I've never opened a mainspring housing on those pistols. I know Wolf makes a lighter spring, but it's certain not common to monkey with it.

Master

User Info Menu

My fear was that the trigger spring was lightened for a lighter trigger pull and wasn't hitting the primer with enough force...
    The trigger spring has nothing to do with the force of the hammer hitting the firing pin.

Buildup of crud on the barrel or bolt breech faces (as previously mentioned), damaged of out of spec firing pin, too light of a hammer spring (unlikely), dirty or un-lubed hammer pivot or some other cause of the hammer binding up slightly (clean, check for rub marks and lube), possibly a carbon ring in the chamber holding the cartridge back slightly (pure guess here), etc.

Start with a thorough cleaning and lubing, inspecting parts as you go. Pay particular attention to the breech faces and chamber.

Has this always been a problem since the VQ parts were installed or did you go though many rounds successfully before the light strikes started?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast