M&P 2.0 Compact Slide Stop vs Slide Release-Let's start a firestorm!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a 2.0 Compact (and a Shield that has the same issue)

It is almost impossible to drop the slide using the "Slide Stop". There are so many people on the interwebs that get riled up telling the uneducated that it is not a "slide release", but a slide stop. Get over it and slingshot it they like to say. They talk about how S&W calls it a Slide Stop and not a Slide Release for a reason and supposedly they specifically say one should not use the lever to drop the slide and chamber a round.

I think that lever should be able to be used for both functions.

I'm really not buying into this theory so convince me that I'll ruin my pistol if I massage the moving parts to loosen up the lever so I can release it by the lever.

I think S&W made it so tight because in the 1.0 models, you could get the slide to drop with a little bit of vigor when seating a mag.

I have been practicing reloads (dryfire) and I'd like to train to insert the mag and get my left hand in a proper grip in one move while using my right thumb to drop the mag. If I have to slingshot the slide, I won't be able to do so. I'll have to add an additional movement.

Go ahead, tell me I'm crazy, I can handle it.:)

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My glocks drop the slide when I seat the mag firm enough, I like that. If it doesn't drop I use the slingshot method.
    People using the slide release doesn't bother me at all, your gun, your training, your decision on what you like.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Once I learned the "slingshot" I never gave a s#!+ about the slide stop

Gross motor skills over fine motor skills "under stress" are much more reliable

I would consider pulling the trigger and operating a mag release fine motor skills with special emphasis on the trigger pull. If I can learn to execute a proper trigger pull under stress, I'm confident I can drop the slide. But good points nonetheless!

My glocks drop the slide when I seat the mag firm enough, I like that. If it doesn't drop I use the slingshot method.
    People using the slide release doesn't bother me at all, your gun, your training, your decision on what you like.

My 1.0 did that. I liked it too.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Could you install a 1.0 slide stop into yours?

They changed the design of the stop and the slide so it wouldn't work. I read about some people using a 1.0 slide and stop but I don't want to get into all that.

I have had good success over the years lightly stoning and polishing surfaces that rub together. I think it may be worth a try. Smooth it out a little, check. Still tight, smooth a little more. Getting looser? Okay, maybe do a little more.

Once took a Taurus revolver from over 13lb trigger pull down to just under 10 lbs, purely by stoning and polishing, no spring changes.:)

The rest of that story though, is I did the same on a Smith revolver and virtually no change in pull weight. But man is the trigger smooth!:):

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    FWIW... As I sought to find a shop to improve the serrations on a couple Walther P99's, I eventually found some 3M Safety Step granular tape at Home Depot.

I cut/placed pieces over the slide serrations... I found that gripping the slide was easier with the grip tape but letting go (sling shot) was rough. Since this had a pretty aggressive texture, it would almost take your hide off. For me, the new method was to grip, pull slide back, push slide closed, release grip. It provided a positive feedback of the slide closing.

YMMV and all that. Just my :twocents: re; slide release, sling shot, etc.

:ingo:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I don't see an issue with your thoughts on this, OP. As long as the lever is still able to hold the slide back manually and when the mag is empty, no worries. In regards to chambering a round, like others have already said, I don't believe there is a wrong or right way as it's personal preference. While I've never tested with a timer, I assume it might be faster to use the lever instead of the slingshot. Personally, I've always used the slingshot method, because I've found with sweaty hands I can still maintain a good purchase on the slide.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just for clarification I have been over the top dropping my slides forever, pretty much. I have recently realized that I could be smoother and faster if I could actuate the slide stop in one movement with the insertion of a mag and getting my left hand in position.

I have recently added a red dot to my pistol and that is also what got me thinking of another way.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I run my M&P with the understanding that it is a slide stop, and that under stress fine motor skills diminish. Also, the slide stop parts are metal inject molded, and I don't want to test their limits.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    @gregkl

You are not the first to think like this, here's a google search with a couple of vids you may want to watch:

https://www.google.com/search?q=m&p...motorola-rev2&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Here's a thread at Brian Eno's forum that's on topic:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/274944-mp-20-slide-lock-lever-fracture/

Thanks. I had seen a couple of those, but watched a couple more. I was diving a little deeper into the stop "system" last night. The area where the thumb pad interacts with the detent is fairly stiff with the slide removed. I think I will see if I can smooth that out first and see how it works.

I may ever so slightly smooth the tab that interfaces with the notch in the slide but I may end up accepting that using it as a slide release may not be in the cards. We will see.

I'm not too worried about breaking the actual stop. If it does break, I'll put a new one in. I imagine it receives a fair amount of pressure when the slide locks open on an empty mag anyway. I'm more concerned about the slide failing to lock open on an empty mag because I screwed around with it.

I won't be combining a 1.0 slide with my 2.0 frame, lol.

This is good information you guys are posting. I appreciate all the comments.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    On my gen 1 shield the slide stop is a stamping not mim. They may have changed it on the gen 2. I would even go as far as saying that part was made on a 4 slide press the same type of machine they use to make paper clips.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    On my gen 1 shield the slide stop is a stamping not mim. They may have changed it on the gen 2. I would even go as far as saying that part was made on a 4 slide press the same type of machine they use to make paper clips.

I'm a plastics guy so I don't know a lot about metal but I thought it looked like a stamping to me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Update: I worked the various components very lightly. I stoned then polished the mating surfaces. I can now release the slide using the slide release lever. It is still difficult, but it is doable.

However, or should I say butt, based on input here, some additional resources and deep interpersonal reflection, I have decided to stick with the over the top slingshot method.

Why you ask? The reason I started looking at a different method was because I added a red dot to my pistol. I have found out that I can still go over the top. I was impressed with the speed and smoothness that one can get back in the action using the slide release lever. From inserting the mag to back on target becomes one fluid move. But I'm okay being a little slower. Lord knows I am not fast at any other process in shooting.

Another thing I found out is that I have to move my strong hand slightly to hit the slide release. Not good IMO.

And I want one consistent method no matter which pistol I pick up and the slide release lever may be different or so tight that it won't work. Slingshot method can be employed with any pistol.

And finally, there is the potential for my timing to be off and I drop the slide before I get the mag fully inserted resulting in a dead trigger and possibly a dead shooter.:)

I will continue to get reps in using the slingshot method and move on.

Thanks for all the input.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Another thing I found out is that I have to move my strong hand slightly to hit the slide release.
    And I want one consistent method no matter which pistol I pick up and the slide release lever may be different or so tight that it won't work. Slingshot method can be employed with any pistol.

These two items were the pieces that changed my mind.

I'd used the slide release lever for years, but as soon as the armory started to expand it was no longer exactly the same on any handgun.
    No choice but to deal with mag release buttons, but everything else is associated with Tap - Rack - Bang.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I have a couple of 1911 that I used for pins and USPSA. The slide stops and slides are so worn that they are not reliable for holding the slide open. The slide stop in he M&P is no were near as beefy as a 1911 slide stop. I doubt they will last using it as a slide release. The availability of parts would tell me what to do is it has to go back to S&W for a slide stop I would over hand it.

Top Bottom