Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: M&P 2.0 Compact Slide Stop vs Slide Release-Let's start a firestorm!

User Info Menu

M&P 2.0 Compact Slide Stop vs Slide Release-Let's start a firestorm!

I have a 2.0 Compact (and a Shield that has the same issue)

It is almost impossible to drop the slide using the "Slide Stop". There are so many people on the interwebs that get riled up telling the uneducated that it is not a "slide release", but a slide stop. Get over it and slingshot it they like to say. They talk about how S&W calls it a Slide Stop and not a Slide Release for a reason and supposedly they specifically say one should not use the lever to drop the slide and chamber a round.

I think that lever should be able to be used for both functions.

I'm really not buying into this theory so convince me that I'll ruin my pistol if I massage the moving parts to loosen up the lever so I can release it by the lever.

I think S&W made it so tight because in the 1.0 models, you could get the slide to drop with a little bit of vigor when seating a mag.

I have been practicing reloads (dryfire) and I'd like to train to insert the mag and get my left hand in a proper grip in one move while using my right thumb to drop the mag. If I have to slingshot the slide, I won't be able to do so. I'll have to add an additional movement.

Go ahead, tell me I'm crazy, I can handle it.
    Anything is possible

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Once I learned the "slingshot" I never gave a s#!+ about the slide stop

Gross motor skills over fine motor skills "under stress" are much more reliable
    Luddite Curmudgeon #2

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

My glocks drop the slide when I seat the mag firm enough, I like that. If it doesn't drop I use the slingshot method.
    People using the slide release doesn't bother me at all, your gun, your training, your decision on what you like.
    Never argue with stupid people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by downrange72 View Post
    Once I learned the "slingshot" I never gave a s#!+ about the slide stop

Gross motor skills over fine motor skills "under stress" are much more reliable
    I would consider pulling the trigger and operating a mag release fine motor skills with special emphasis on the trigger pull. If I can learn to execute a proper trigger pull under stress, I'm confident I can drop the slide. But good points nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird1980 View Post
    My glocks drop the slide when I seat the mag firm enough, I like that. If it doesn't drop I use the slingshot method.
    People using the slide release doesn't bother me at all, your gun, your training, your decision on what you like.
    My 1.0 did that. I liked it too.
    Anything is possible

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Could you install a 1.0 slide stop into yours?
    Never argue with stupid people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird1980 View Post
    Could you install a 1.0 slide stop into yours?
    They changed the design of the stop and the slide so it wouldn't work. I read about some people using a 1.0 slide and stop but I don't want to get into all that.

I have had good success over the years lightly stoning and polishing surfaces that rub together. I think it may be worth a try. Smooth it out a little, check. Still tight, smooth a little more. Getting looser? Okay, maybe do a little more.

Once took a Taurus revolver from over 13lb trigger pull down to just under 10 lbs, purely by stoning and polishing, no spring changes.

The rest of that story though, is I did the same on a Smith revolver and virtually no change in pull weight. But man is the trigger smooth!
    Anything is possible

Expert

User Info Menu

FWIW... As I sought to find a shop to improve the serrations on a couple Walther P99's, I eventually found some 3M Safety Step granular tape at Home Depot.

I cut/placed pieces over the slide serrations... I found that gripping the slide was easier with the grip tape but letting go (sling shot) was rough. Since this had a pretty aggressive texture, it would almost take your hide off. For me, the new method was to grip, pull slide back, push slide closed, release grip. It provided a positive feedback of the slide closing.

YMMV and all that. Just my re; slide release, sling shot, etc.

User Info Menu

I don't see an issue with your thoughts on this, OP. As long as the lever is still able to hold the slide back manually and when the mag is empty, no worries. In regards to chambering a round, like others have already said, I don't believe there is a wrong or right way as it's personal preference. While I've never tested with a timer, I assume it might be faster to use the lever instead of the slingshot. Personally, I've always used the slingshot method, because I've found with sweaty hands I can still maintain a good purchase on the slide.

User Info Menu

Just for clarification I have been over the top dropping my slides forever, pretty much. I have recently realized that I could be smoother and faster if I could actuate the slide stop in one movement with the insertion of a mag and getting my left hand in position.

I have recently added a red dot to my pistol and that is also what got me thinking of another way.
    Anything is possible

User Info Menu

@gregkl

You are not the first to think like this, here's a google search with a couple of vids you may want to watch:

https://www.google.com/search?q=m%26...obile&ie=UTF-8

Here's a thread at Brian Eno's forum that's on topic:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...ever-fracture/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast