• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a new BCM upper, and I intend to remove the BCM Comp Mod 0. I had my fingers crossed and was hoping that I could use my old plastic receiver clamp to hold it steady and remove that. Unfortunately, my old tool does not fit with the new BCM receiver because of where the left material in there to strengthen it up. I'm debating on modifying my clamp tool, or possibly getting another tool all together. I always find myself debating on buying another tool for something I think I'll just be using one time.

Any suggestions?

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    If you are working on the barrel I recommend holding the barrel so there is no chance of messing up your upper receiver. When I work on muzzle devices I make vice jaws out of 2x4 lumber. If your a handy dude you probably have a set of spade drill bits and some 2x4 cut offs laying around. Find the bit that is the same size as your barrel OD. Drill through a 2x4 from the side. Cut that chunk off larger than your vice jaws. Then cut lengthwise through the center of the hole you drilled. Now you have 2 halves to use as wood vice jaws. Done this at least 3 times and it works great. I have a couple sets that I keep around for use.(0.75 and 0.625 I believe) You might check with BCM to make sure they don't use rockset or other thread locker that you might have to overcome with water or heat first. On the upper I had from them with just a A2 flash hider they did not but that was many moons ago.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I use the Brownells version of Geissele's reaction rod. I rarely use the 2 piece clamshell anymore.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod27452.aspx

You're welcome to swing by sometime and use it at my bench.

I'd been looking at one of those. If nothing else I keep thinking a tool like that would come in handy with any muzzle device job I've got to do. If the 51T 1/2x28 SDN-6 muzzle devices are ever in stock again, I will likely have a need for this type of tool again.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you are working on the barrel I recommend holding the barrel so there is no chance of messing up your upper receiver. When I work on muzzle devices I make vice jaws out of 2x4 lumber. If your a handy dude you probably have a set of spade drill bits and some 2x4 cut offs laying around. Find the bit that is the same size as your barrel OD. Drill through a 2x4 from the side. Cut that chunk off larger than your vice jaws. Then cut lengthwise through the center of the hole you drilled. Now you have 2 halves to use as wood vice jaws. Done this at least 3 times and it works great. I have a couple sets that I keep around for use.(0.75 and 0.625 I believe) You might check with BCM to make sure they don't use rockset or other thread locker that you might have to overcome with water or heat first. On the upper I had from them with just a A2 flash hider they did not but that was many moons ago.

I like that idea. I've got all those tools you just mentioned and I would do that if I could get on the barrel. The particular upper I order has the 15" handguards on it that doesn't leave a whole lot of barrel left hanging out of the end.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I went with the Magpul Bevblock on an INGOer's suggestion. Used it a few times...

mag536_blk_1.png

Top Bottom