• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeronimo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    I’m about to take on a refinish project with my newly acquired ‘75 Winchester M70. I’m a fairly competent woodworker, so I’m not too intimidated by the project. Plus I’ve watched a handful of YouTube videos. The plan is to use a chemical stripper and then sand to ~600gr and finish with Birchwood Casey Tru-oil.

My only hesitation is with the plastic bits at the front of the stock and on the bottom of the rear grip. I worry about the stripper eating away at it, and having to repaint it once I sand everything flush (what kind of paint would be ideal?). I’m also planning on fitting a new recoil pad. Please comment with any tips and recommendations.

e07839547030707f907f99b6689239bc.jpg

854a18c6c800faa9332290fb9533393e.jpg

84b3026dd6d98a4dd10e6c31f6a8b1fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've never done it but Midway USA has some really good videos on this (and many more) subject.

[video=youtube_share;FrQbZNduZL8]http://youtu.be/FrQbZNduZL8[/video]

In YouTube, search Midway USA stock refinishing. It will bring up a plethora of videos like the one above.

traderjoe

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2020
    South Bend area
    The factory Remington finish is rather thick and sanding down to the wood for tru-oil to penetrate will be quite time consuming. I don't like chemical strippers but they are the best way to get the finish off.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Yes, it takes time to sand. But at least you know you are not hurting the plastic. Judicious use on the checkering but nowhere else. This is my personal preference, but I don't care for the shiny tru-oil finish on rifles. I mix bees wax and turpentine and rub it in. It gets pretty hot as you work it into the wood with the heal of your hand. I am not in a rush.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom