Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heavier weight or heavier spring?

User Info Menu

Heavier weight or heavier spring?

I have a BCG not going into battery issue.. Back story: I assembled a new rifle with a PSA lower with lower parts kit and purchased a Bear Creek Arsenal complete upper assembly. I have a ARFX skeleton stock with a standard spring and weight. My first time at the range, the BCG would not go into battery. The forward assist would not do the job either. I could hand load a round into the chamber and get a 60 percent success ratio with full battery. I was using PMags and aluminum mags. I had to use a tool to extract the round by prying back while pulling on the charging handle, when the BCG failed. I tried a different lower with the same results. I tried a different BCG and charging handle and still had issues.
    Fast forward: I sent the upper back to Bear Creek Arsenal. It came back today. Same issue after they inspected, cleaned, hand loaded 12 rounds, mag loaded 12 rounds and fired 12 rounds. All extracted fine. There was no mention of gas issues from the MFG... heck it never got to that point as I could not chamber a round.
    I am looking for suggestions and was thinking a beefier spring or weight. It will not go into full battery when I try to chamber when the rifle is pointed up. It will go into battery if the rifle is pointing down. So, maybe gravity has something to do with it?
    What say you INGO..
    Oh and thanks in advance for both information and jokes alike.

User Info Menu

When you say it won't go into battery, how far out are we talking there?
    (Pictures can often be priceless in internet troubleshooting)
    Round not chambered?
    Bolt not rotated fully?

Your description of extraction issues, sounds like there is some issue with alignment.
    Combine that with the FA not helping things, and you've got some interference there.

Adding more spring/buffer isn't likely to overcome something that the FA isn't...

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

With that mixmaster of parts I see an issue with the chamber either not sized properly and needing reamed or (as I have done with that level parts rifle) needing a serious cleaning with a brass brush on a cordless drill. Happened 2 times to me. 1 was my last run with in that price point and the problem was solved and again assembling the "Box-0-Parts rifle for a friend. Both had the exact problem you laid out.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldnít

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

I'll work on a video to post showing the issues. Thanks for the input

Marksman

User Info Menu

I donít know from your info so I will ask. Did you check headspace with this bolt and barrel combination?

User Info Menu

By any chance are you using reloaded ammo?
    Laser eyed dog has mellowed (Daughters "hair missile")and cat is alive and well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I donít know from your info so I will ask. Did you check headspace with this bolt and barrel combination?
    Still working on my own video; but, I did find one that shows the issue I am having. In the video, when the no go gauge is being used and the BCG does not engage fully, that is what mine looks like.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWTpPMYW-CA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BGDave View Post
    By any chance are you using reloaded ammo?
    No. I am using Remington .223

Marksman

User Info Menu

I would find someone with the tools to check the headspace. Be very careful trying to diagnose the problem with live ammo. AR has no firing pin spring and can ďslam fireĒ if firing pin slams the primer when bolt closes. I have had one assembly not pass headspace check and required a different bolt to resolve the issue.

User Info Menu

Will the bolt go into battery with no cartridge? If so, you know itís probably not a major misalignment issue like gas key not going over gas tube. If it only fails with an actual round in the bolt, then it can likely only be an ammo or chamber issue.

Sometimes the sideways loading of the ejector pushing the cartridge sideways can deflect the bcg enough to cause a hang up in a sloppy upper.

Neither a heavier weight nor heavier spring will fix this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast