• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    At many owners of Marlin levers can attest, the loading gates can be quite stiff. My 1895 was very very stiff and made loading a real chore. Ranger Precision came to the rescue with their aluminum loading gate. Took about 15 minutes to dissassemble and install. Wow, what a difference. Loading is a breeze now. Highly recommended

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I've purchased a few things from Ranger Point Precision, and they seem to have nice quality parts. Are you planning on picking up anything else?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Thanks for posting. i picked up an 1895sbl about a year ago but have yet to shoot it. My sausage fingers always have trouble with loading gates in general and I will definitely keep this in mind.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    It helps while you're still breaking the action in to only load the round 3/4 of the way so that it still hold the gate open. Use the next round to push the shell the rest of the way. Makes loading tremendously easier.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    It helps while you're still breaking the action in to only load the round 3/4 of the way so that it still hold the gate open. Use the next round to push the shell the rest of the way. Makes loading tremendously easier.

True enough. But it still is very difficult to push that last one in all the way without getting finger bitten. New loading gate is the bomb!!!!!

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    My SBL loading gate was not too bad from the factory. I am curious about a trigger replacement. My trigger is crisp, but heavy. Love the gun though!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    True enough. But it still is very difficult to push that last one in all the way without getting finger bitten. New loading gate is the bomb!!!!!

Yeah you're right about the finger bite. Happened to me a lot, especially with 357. I've never fit as many 357 as they say it can hold.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I use a pusher to load with. I took a .45-70 case filled it with lead then put a bullet in the end. Use to load .25-20, .32 H&R mag, .357 mag, .44 WCF, .44 mag, .45 Colt, .38-55, and .45-70 through the loading gate. Start the round and push with the push round, easier on the fingers and no chance of bullet set back. Can also use part of a deer antler.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I use a pusher to load with. I took a .45-70 case filled it with lead then put a bullet in the end. Use to load .25-20, .32 H&R mag, .357 mag, .44 WCF, .44 mag, .45 Colt, .38-55, and .45-70 through the loading gate. Start the round and push with the push round, easier on the fingers and no chance of bullet set back. Can also use part of a deer antler.

All good suggestions but with the new gate, all that is unnecessary. Push in with finger like you should be able to too. I'm stoked.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    This ranks right up there with the twilight zone for me. I will gladly meet any Marlin or Winchester (American Made) Levergun in any caliber for a shooting session. Any INGOer can join me as my guest. Just PM me for a slot. Perhaps we can expose the bite marks that’s happening. None of my guns have been altered and it will be worth my time to see how it’s happening.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    This ranks right up there with the twilight zone for me. I will gladly meet any Marlin or Winchester (American Made) Levergun in any caliber for a shooting session. Any INGOer can join me as my guest. Just PM me for a slot. Perhaps we can expose the bite marks that’s happening. None of my guns have been altered and it will be worth my time to see how it’s happening.

Not sure I understand your post. Are you saying the stiff loading gate issue does not exist?? Maybe you are lucky with the ones you have but there are many out there with loading gates so stiff that it is almost impossible to push the cartridge into the magazine with getting pinched a bit. You can use another cartridge or some "tool" to push it it but I chose to buy the aftermarket gate and remove all doubt. They are selling a lot of them for some reason. Maybe it is the twilight zone.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Not sure I understand your post. Are you saying the stiff loading gate issue does not exist?? Maybe you are lucky with the ones you have but there are many out there with loading gates so stiff that it is almost impossible to push the cartridge into the magazine with getting pinched a bit. You can use another cartridge or some "tool" to push it it but I chose to buy the aftermarket gate and remove all doubt. They are selling a lot of them for some reason. Maybe it is the twilight zone.

just like racking a slide is difficult for some people so is loading levers. It is experience that is the remedy... not gadgets. Bring your hardest rifle and I will load it easily with my bare hands.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    just like racking a slide is difficult for some people so is loading levers. It is experience that is the remedy... not gadgets. Bring your hardest rifle and I will load it easily with my bare hands.

Redesigning a tool to work better is hardly a gadget. I imagine you still use a hand saw and old ice box, because electric saws and refrigerators are just gadgets. Good grief.

Phatgemi, Thanks for sharing that it actually makes a difference, I also encounter this on my Marlin

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Redesigning a tool to work better is hardly a gadget. I imagine you still use a hand saw and old ice box, because electric saws and refrigerators are just gadgets. Good grief.

Phatgemi, Thanks for sharing that it actually makes a difference, I also encounter this on my Marlin

To think that I have not done my share of tweaking, tuning and employing aftermarket products, one would be very wrong. However, this is a product that I have experience with (I run thousands of rounds in many calibers through Leverguns frequently). $45 for a piece of aftermarket aluminum fixes a problem that I have never had. For me to outfit with aftermarket parts, something really has to be wrong. There is a trade off with every many so called changes in factory equipment. I will admit that sometimes it is easier to for the shooter to buy convenience rather than learn to use the product as intended. Since you may not be interested in learning the practice of loading factory guns, then by all means enjoy your add ons. Keep in mind this thread leads shooters to believe there is a design flaw in the gun and that is not the case for many experienced shooters.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Well I have 4 Marlin leverguns and 1 is substantially stiffer than the others, so if a lighter spring helps it out I'm all for it. Carry on TJ, I know you can't help yourself

Top Bottom