• ...and so much more!
  • 7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Hello,

i have the cad files for a g19 threaded barrel and slide. Is there a way for me to find someone that would be willing to make these for me if i provide the metal?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Hello,

i have the cad files for a g19 threaded barrel and slide. Is there a way for me to find someone that would be willing to make these for me if i provide the metal?

I doubt anyone is going to want to use metal you provide to make critical parts of a firearm. And most machinists aren't going to make firearm parts unless they have an FFL, anyway. And they shouldn't; you don’t risk your whole business for one small job.

And since these things are readily available in production, you're going to spend a lot more getting them custom manufactured than you would by simply buying them.

So why are you wanting to have these made?

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    That doesnt make sense to me. The only parts that are regulated are lower receivers. So why would they be risking anything making a slide and a barrel. Unless i am wrong here. Metal would be proper metal for the parts being madr and documentation would be provided as to where and when they where purchased.

the answer to your question is why not.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    That doesnt make sense to me. The only parts that are regulated are lower receivers. So why would they be risking anything making a slide and a barrel. Unless i am wrong here. Metal would be proper metal for the parts being madr and documentation would be provided as to where and when they where purchased.

The machinist I know well doesn’t keep an FFL, and he keeps far away from guns. He doesn't want to have to be an expert on them, and he doesn't want a visit from ATF because someone lied to him, tricked him, or even just used his parts to build something illegal.

If you were a regular customer, someone might do something for you. But if you just come in off the street looking for custom made parts that are already widely available, it's going to raise red flags.

Here's an FFL machinist who advertises that he makes custom parts: https://m.facebook.com/ECCOmachine/
    I'm sure he can do it for you. He's just not local.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

The answer is a barrel is a liability or can you not understand that. They are not just a piece of steel there is more to the process. My FFL machinist will modify one as to threads or possible re-chamber but just not sure he would want to make one. The lands and groves are a serious process.

Just buy one. It will be far less expensive.

I often challenge myself to do things just because. I like a good challenge. But making a barrel would not be one of them. The tooling required is specific and stupid expensive. I wish you luck in your quest.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The answer is a barrel is a liability or can you not understand that. They are not just a piece of steel there is more to the process. My FFL machinist will modify one as to threads or possible re-chamber but just not sure he would want to make one. The lands and groves are a serious process.

Just buy one. It will be far less expensive.

I often challenge myself to do things just because. I like a good challenge. But making a barrel would not be one of them. The tooling required is specific and stupid expensive. I wish you luck in your quest.

Listen to that.

He is nicer than me, so I will boil that a little:

Having a barrel MADE would be retarded (yes, the outdated slang).

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Looks like its something i will have to learn myself. I can understand someone not wanting to be liable thats common sense. The rifling in a barrel can be accurately made with ecm machining. Regardless as long as you pay attention to specs and use the correct material..... Appreciate the concern though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looks like its something i will have to learn myself. I can understand someone not wanting to be liable thats common sense. The rifling in a barrel can be accurately made with ecm machining. Regardless as long as you pay attention to specs and use the correct material..... Appreciate the concern though.

If you have access to that level of equipment let us know how it turns out.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If you really want to do what I'm pretty sure you're trying to do, which is craft build firearms 100% from scratch (likely based around the CAD data distributed for 3D printing Glock frames), I think you'd have an easier time with a smooth bore shotgun by leaps and bounds. Guys spend entire careers just honing the heat treatment process for steels. Barrel rifling is an art you can master later.

As far as the slide, I'd imagine plenty of machine shops would quote it for you. I'd also imagine getting quotes back over $1500. Send it to Protolabs and see what they quote you... and that will be without any heat treat or any special materials.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Your better off making the reverse rifled shaft and forging onto that dowel. Then removing and machining the exterior, like the older Glock barrels.

The hardness and specifications on the Barrel metal is going to be super hard to get right.

Good luck, but I would buy one.

Top Bottom