• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Since I don't play a chemist on tv and Dr. Fauci won't return my calls, can any one tell me the benefits of using state of the art gun cleaning solvents like Shooters Lube, Hoppes Elite etc for maintenance cleaning of guns? I have used them all and most of them work good, however take the word gun or shooter out of the marketing label and solvents are a lot cheaper. In running tests, pure strength Simple Green has cut the carbon very good, doesn't hurt finishes and is cheaper by the ounce. Yes it is water based but I bow off my pieces with my compressor and reapply new Break Free when assembling. Any thoughts on this INGO.?

IMG_0498 (002).jpg

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I have used Simple Green for gun cleaning in the kitchen sink. Now don't rat me out on this. :cool: I used compressed air then a good spraying of W-40 to chase all the water out. Break Free on the reassembly as well. :ingo:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have heard of people using the citrus orange cleaners as well.

I'm leery of using non-firearm related cleaning and lubricating products but I suppose they are fine.

I hear of quite a few on here using Mobil 1 to lubricate their firearms.

I have been using the same bottle of Weapon Shield clp type product and a small bottle of Weapon Shield lubricant for many years.

Though the cost/oz is higher than other non-firearm products, I use so little of it, that I don't worry about it.

sgthud

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 28, 2019
    Fishers
    Haven't used Simple Green on the guns, but does a hell of a job of getting the crud off my hands after cleaning the guns...think I will give it a try and save some $$$

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Just a word of caution when using regular Simple Green on aluminum. I use the Simple green for aircraft that was linked above by Marvin02 just to be on the safe side. From their FAQ. https://simplegreen.com/faqs/15/

When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner & Degreaser, and Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process.

Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner, Pro Series Simple Green Automotive Cleaner, and Simple Green Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.

Simple Green Stainless Steel One Step Cleaner & Polish is another option for cleaning polished aluminum. This product is designed for light duty metal cleaning and polishing.

Top Bottom