• ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Hi everybody!

I need some thoughts in an area that I'm not up on at all. I was talking to a colleague a couple days ago and he commented on the fact that I don't own a .40 handgun. I'm more of a 9mm fan than anything else, but I also dabble in .45 on the semi side and everything from .38 to .44 on the revolver side. Never owned/fired/etc a .40, but being that it's "the" choice round for law enforcement in a lot of places, I thought I should investigate.

In fact, in talking to a local law enforcement officer, I was told that their duty guns were personal choice, as long as they were .40 caliber. He said a lot of the guys use Glocks, but he's seen everything from S&W to Kimber.

So I've been thinking that I should get myself a .40 caliber semi. I initially defaulted my brain to a Model 22 Glock, as it would be practically identical to my Model 17, but I stopped in my tracks. I'm not saying that I'm not considering the Model 22, but I think I should be a good shopper and consider other options, right??

If I go through with this, I'll probably be buying in late October, as part of my annual "Halloweenie Gun Shop Hop". So between now and then, I'm looking for all the information and opinions I can get.

The only real qualifier is that I'm looking for a full-size .40, not a compact or subcompact. Unfortunately there isn't a range nearby that rents, so for right now that option is out - I can hit Sportsman's Warehouse to check out guns for holding, so that's a start..

So what .40 do you have? What do you like and dislike about it?

And if anybody is in the Lafayette area and would be willing to have a sit-down-bull-session about your .40, that would be even better - I've love to see some stuff in person and get the owner's impressions.. otherwise, I guess online discourse will have to do :)

Thanks in advance!! :patriot:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So I've been thinking that I should get myself a .40 caliber semi. I initially defaulted my brain to a Model 22 Glock, as it would be practically identical to my Model 17, but I stopped in my tracks.

Do you like your GLOCK 17? If so, the 22 is a no-brainer. Same size, weight, manual of arms, and over 85% parts commonality with your current pistol. Uses the same holsters & mag pouches. Just holds a couple less rounds of slightly larger size, and has a little more power & recoil.

So what .40 do you have?

Currently own a Glock 35, a couple 23s and a 27. I'm sold on the design and function of the Glock family; never been a fan of getting something different "just to be different."

You might consider the Glock 35 as well... it would have all the same attributes listed above, but wouldn't be a carbon-copy of your G17. The longer barrel would give you better accuracy and velocity. I think the G34 and 35 are the best pistols Glock makes.

If you absolutely have to try something different, I suggest looking at the Smith & Wesson M&P40. It's got a different feel and some additional features compared to Glock, but its manual of arms is similar enough (i.e. point-and-shoot) that you won't have to spend time re-training yourself every time you switch pistols.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you absolutely have to try something different, I suggest looking at the Smith & Wesson M&P40. It's got a different feel and some additional features compared to Glock, but its manual of arms is similar enough (i.e. point-and-shoot) that you won't have to spend time re-training yourself every time you switch pistols.

I literally had something almost exactly like this typed up about to hit reply.

So I second Shooter521's advice. If you like Glock's, get the 22, if you have to have something different try the M&P. I actually prefer M&Ps to Glocks, but Glocks aren't a bad choice.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    XDm .40 polymer frame, match grade 4.5" barrel, 16+1 capacity

I have an XD in .45 which I like a lot. Friend has the XDm .40 and I have handled and field stripped noting the improvements. He loves it. Might be worth checking out.:yesway:

I am awaiting the XDm in 9mm (19+1!) which will be my next purchase.;)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    So what .40 do you have? What do you like and dislike about it?

XD-40. Love it.

Likes: fit, grip angle, accurate, good trigger, no thumb safety, 100% reliable
    Dislikes: none

I chose it over the S&W M&P .40 I was also looking at because the trigger felt better to me, based on dry-firing. I have since shot a M&P .40, and I still like the XD trigger better. I shot a Glock .40 many years ago, and didn't like the grip angle, so back then I went with a S&W 411 as my first handgun. I have since traded that one off too. Also I reload and the unsupported chamber of the Glock .40 makes that difficult.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    We were issued Glock 23's. Not bad but prior to that we had the Sig 229. I like the Sig better and did buy my issued Sig back when we traded. I think you might like the 23 from what you've described.

Still a 1911 guy.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    This thread seems to be going in the direction of polymer double action pistols. If you would like something in steel, consider a Browning High Power in .40. Of course CZ makes several models, single action and double action in all steel and alloy frames.Just my 2 cents

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've had a CZ 40-P, a Walther P99, and a Kahr CW-40 in .40S&W...

I'd put the CZ (alloy frame) and the P99 about equal on the felt recoil and muzzle flip.

The Kahr, being the lightest by far, is definitely not for the recoil sensitive.

If I had to recomend something, I'd recomend the full-sized Walther P-99... But 9mm over .40.

-J-

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I suggested the High Power .40 as I have one and also one in 9mm. Nice to have the same gun in 2 calibers. Use the 9 for steel and paper, the .40 with stout handloads for bowling pins. Sthe steel frame guns do much to tame the sharp recoil for the .40 S&W. Especially since my 'pin loads are closing in on 10mm performance.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I have a 22 and a 19. I wish I had a 23 instead of a 22 at times. You lose only two rounds in the pistol and can reload with 22 mags. There are times that the slightly smaller 23 is easier to conceal. I've shot quite a bit with the Sig 229 in .40 (1000+ rounds). That is a fine handgun as well.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    CZ 75B I can shoot more accurately with this gun than anything else. Single Action is very nice, but mines Double Action pull is long and heavy. Controls are just like a 1911.

IMI Baby Eagle I can shoot this one almost as accurately as the CZ. SA and DA both feel good to me. I feel that it is one of the best looking handguns - after the 1911.

Beretta 96 Shoots okay. Stupid easy take-down. Only thing that's not practical about it is the exposed barrel. If you graze your finger over it after shooting a bit, it will get burnt.

Sig 226 (a friends of mine) Controls are nice and it shot great.
    If I ever lose my other 40s, I might get one, but see no need now as they're no more special than what I have.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    XD-40. Love it.

Likes: fit, grip angle, accurate, good trigger, no thumb safety, 100% reliable
    Dislikes: none

I chose it over the S&W M&P .40 I was also looking at because the trigger felt better to me, based on dry-firing. I have since shot a M&P .40, and I still like the XD trigger better. I shot a Glock .40 many years ago, and didn't like the grip angle, so back then I went with a S&W 411 as my first handgun. I have since traded that one off too. Also I reload and the unsupported chamber of the Glock .40 makes that difficult.

:+1: :rockwoot: :yesway: :D :patriot: :bowdown: :thumbsup:
    :cheers:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Cool, everybody - thanks for the thoughts! I think I need to see how some of these other handguns fit my hand and kinda go from there..

Something else that will help you narrow things down would be your budget!!

If you're in the $400-500 range, you're looking at Glock and CZ for new firearms... Everything else mentioned would be in that range used.

-J-

Top Bottom