• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ronn1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Dearborn County, IN
    I know that the .357 mag and .45 acp are pretty much at the top when it comes to defense against two-legged vermin, at least as far as the experts say, but I have noticed that some ammo companies are putting out personal defense loads in that caliber.
    I was wonering if anyone here carries a .44 with magnum loads and if so, why?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    44 mag is not a practical carry round in my opinion for a couple of reasons.

Follow up shots will be very hard and you'll go deaf for sure from the blast. Also I would hate to explain to a prosecutor why I'm carrying a 44 magnum for protection. Just my opinion. Save it for the deers and targets.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I conceal carry a Ruger SuperBlackhawk, 10.5" barrel, ported, stainless, in a shoulder holster cc so it doesn't get banged around climbing the deer stand. Really, 44 mag in a defense situation, how many people behind the perp would you kill?

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I have conceal carried a S&W 629 4" barrel 6 shot .44 mag in a shoulder holster before. I'm 6'3", 300 lbs though and could pull something like that off. It was still completely ridiculous though. I will admit though that I probably would CC that Taurus Tracker .44 mag 5 shot.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a Ruger Alaskan I carry, shoulder rig, rides nice, and invisible with a jacket or sport coat. 44 mag with 300gr hard cast loads, or I can load down some soft shooting 200 grain soft cast loads.

As for killing the rest of the town behind the target.... some of you watch too much TV.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I regularly carry an N-Frame in 45, my Dad often carries a 629 Mountain Gun which is a 4 inch 44 Mag. Most of the Dirty Harry hype is the same hype we have heard about the 45 for years like the "hit a man in the finger with a 45 and he will go down" myths.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    44 mag is not a practical carry round in my opinion for a couple of reasons.
    Follow up shots will be very hard and you'll go deaf for sure from the blast. Also I would hate to explain to a prosecutor why I'm carrying a 44 magnum for protection. Just my opinion. Save it for the deers and targets.

I don't let what a prosecutor MIGHT think dictate what I carry and I sometimes carry a Ruger SA 4 5/8" SS Blackhawk 44MAG. :rockwoot:

P. S. Bad Guys that accost me ARE targets.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I carried a DE .44 and Ruger Blackhawk .44 with a 7.5" barrel for personal defence(not at the same time). Of course, this is when I lived in Alaska. The Blackhawk was my favorite pistol, rode nicely in a shoulder holster under my jacket. The Desert Eagle was just cool. I always had one in the truck, along with my mossberg 500.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Back in the day when there weren't the "small, lightweight, carry all day" guns, there wasn't any choice but to carry the big guns. Today, no walks around in a suit or long coat, looking like Wyatt Earp or Melvis Purvis to conceal a large gun...shorts and T-shirts. I don't know very many men who wear a 17 year old kid's fashions. Today's loads in smaller cartridges are very effective and powerful compared to 30 years ago, especially when you can carry 13, 15, 17 rounds of 9mm loads. I shoot the same gun at the range I carry on me. My wife shoots her LCP at the range....the same one she carries with her.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've CC a Super Redhawk, Super Blackhawk, and more recently, an Alaskan. I think my favorite of the three is the Alaskan, not only because it is such a well built weapon, but because I can shoot more accurately with it, than I can with any of my smaller caliber CC guns. I do not carry that gun on a daily basis, or not even very often for that matter, but yeah, I have no problem carrying a .44 mag, and in fact, if I were to get into a deadly situation, would probably wish I had it with me, if I didn't. My main carry weapon is a 7 shot .45 acp, I would give up one round to upgrade to .44 mag if SHTF.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    The great thing about a large revolver is, once you shoot all the bullets, you still have a chance at killing the guy when you throw your empty gun at him.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    ...Today's loads in smaller cartridges are very effective and powerful compared to 30 years ago, especially when you can carry 13, 15, 17 rounds of 9mm loads...

I have no desire (and won't) carry any number of 9MM rds. If I am not carrying a 44MAG, I carry a 45ACP. Call me crazy but I like the big guns with the big boom. :rockwoot:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom