• ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I like what research has uncoverd about the more recent variants... Just thinking about something fun for the range, bowling pins, steel target--basically informal competition and target. Anybody out there shooting one? 9mm or .40 S&W? How about the Phantom (polymer) model? Manual safety vs. decocker?

Any and all input much appreciated :)

Last edited:

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    CZ's are great firearms, had a 75 SS and SP01 both 9mm and lots of fun and very soft shooters. The only issue I had was the trigger shape hurt my finger during long range sessions so I suggest that try them first before buying.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    CZ's have been flying under the proverbial radar for about 30 years now... It's probably only been in the last ~10 years that their popularity has begun to take off here in the US.

Part of that was due to import restrictions in place, CZ's haven't been able to be imported all that long. (~30-ish years).

Despite all the good stuff that American manufacturers make and (presumably) export, the CZ-75 is still the choice for many country's armed forces and many many LE agencies around the world. That in and of itself should tell you something.

The CZ-75 platform has been a world-wide benchmark for a combat pistol for a LONG time.

They are very well made and built like tanks. They are a little rough on the finish side of things, especially internally. Tool marks abound... But big deal?

Their unique internal frame-rail design means that their slides sit low in the frames. This assists in making sure more of the recoil impulse is "straight back" into your hand, which results in not much muzzle rise = more accurate shooting. (Generally).

To me, they have great ergonomics and a decent single action trigger.

In my limited experience, the double action triggers are kind of hit and miss. Both of my former CZ pistols had smooth DA trigger pulls, but shooting a friend's P01, I couldn't believe how gritty it was.

I don't have any experience at all with any of their polymer firearms. If you do think about a CZ polymer, whatever you do, stay far far away from a CZ100. Your trigger finger will thank you.

-J-

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I had and sold a P07, just couldn't get used to the plastic and there were no holsters to be had for it (got it when they just got on the market).

I currently own several CZ75B pistols, a CZ75 P01, and some CZ75C pistols. Love them.

The P01 is a decocker variant, it is one of the pistols commonly used by NATO forces around the world. CZ75 pistols, in variations, are used by more police and military units around the world than any other pistol. Glock seems to dominate sales in the USA, but CZ seems to have wider appeal outside of the US.

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I have owned 5 of them and still have 3. I am old school and love Browning Hi Powers. I look at the CZ as the next generation Hi Power. All of mine have been in 9mm. All have been steel framed. For some reason the compacts and semi-compacts are more accurate than the full size ones. At least to me.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    I've owned 6, had to sell 2 (didn't want to). CZ's are probably my favorite guns. The are accurate, reliable, and comfortable. If you are looking into a range/competition gun I would lean towards a CZ 75 SP-01 (or a Shadow if you can afford it :D) they are amazing guns, however, if there is any chance you would carry it I would go for a CZ 85 Combat or a P-01. They are lighter and the P-01 is more concealable, and neither really sacrifice performance. The CZ 85 and P-01 are my summer and rest of the year carry respectively.

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have always liked the CZs and picked up a CZ 97B in .45. I couldn't pass up the price. I wouldn't mind having a 75 though.

Warning, the 97B is BIG and you better have long fingers or big hands to use it comfortably.

DrPrepper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Acton IN
    I like CZs, in fact I have so many of them I need to sell a few off to pay some baby-bills.

Going to sell off a P01 w/ trigger job and 5 mags, bladetech holster etc. and a Kadet 22lr Kit w/ 5 mags later on this week.

CZs, are fantastic, fantastic guns. I have about 800 rounds thru the P01 and not one jam, or problem of any sort.

Could not recommend them more. Fan - tastic gun.

If you are interested in the P01 send me a PM.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    CZ's are excellent firearms. I did own a 75B at one time. Dad bought it for me when I was in the service. I traded it because it was safety only. Which I do not like for a carry weapon. They do make a model with decocker+safety. I can honestly say it's the most accurate 9mm I have fired. It's almost like it aimed itself. So I highly recommend one. If you like the 75, I would also look at the P-01. It's decocker only, but it has a shorter barrel which makes for easier concealment. If that is something you are pondering. They also make a P-06 which is chambered in .40.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have always liked the CZs and picked up a CZ 97B in .45. I couldn't pass up the price. I wouldn't mind having a 75 though.

Warning, the 97B is BIG and you better have long fingers or big hands to use it comfortably.

Also owned a 97B at one time. It's the most accurate .45 I have fired to date. Could not get over it being safety only though. It was a big gun, and my hands are not big, but not small either. I had no problems reaching the trigger. They now make a 97BD, that decocker+safety.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    I have been shooting a CZ 75 for several years:

Cz2.jpg

This is what I think of it:

100_1247.jpg

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    I own a CZ P01, a CZ40B, and a CZ 2075 RAMI .40, with a Springfield P9 on the way (clone).

I love 'em. I want more.

The RAMI is my normal CC piece in the summer, while the CZ40B gets used in the winter. The P01 that I have is a limited edition, so it does it carried and used, just not as much! I generally prefer having the decocker over the manual safety on the CZs. I feel more comfortable using a decocker instead of holding the hammer and pulling the trigger. Largely though, it's a non issue either way. You can generally find better deals on used CZs versus buying new. I don't like the polymer pistols that CZ has. For some reason the factory just can't get them to feel the same as their metal framed brethren, so I don't like them (but you may). If you opt for a metal frame, The P01 is a good choice for carry. Its got an aluminium frame, so it's nice and light. 14 rounds of 9mm, or 10 rounds for the p06 (.40). Also keep in mind that the magazines from the larger pistols will fit the smaller pistols in like caliber as well. So you can do like most others do, and carry a spare magazine from a larger framed CZ. Here is a picture of mine:

picture.php

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    I bought a CZ P-01 last year (ok, technically mine is the European 75B Compact). Great compact pistol. Very accurate. Mine is all factory, so the DA trigger is a little heavy.

Also I still don't have a good IWB holster, so on my small frame, it still seems a touch heavy to carry in my cheap pancake.

I've been giving serious thought to a P-06 (.40) as well.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Wow... Civil discussion about a particular pistol with no threadcrapping or controversy? That says a lot right there. I've got a line on a SP-01 Phantom; might bring it home tomorrow.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Who is "they" and why/where are they not offered?

I can go into most fun shops in Indianapolis and find at least one CZ-75, brand new, for sale?
    A CZ-75?

The "they" is Ceska Zbrojovka, the "where" is anywhere, the "why" is they aren't made anymore. I don't mean a CZ-75B, I mean the original they haven't offered in number years.

800px-1977_CZ-75.png

Last edited:
    Top Bottom