• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Hey everyone,
    I recently received my LTCH :rockwoot:and am looking for my first handgun. I'm looking for something in 9mm (cost and capacity reason) that will be used in a HD/SD, range-toy, carry role. After much research, waiting for the LTCH is hard, I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the FNP or FNX. I can find the FNP (USG model with manual safety) for around $150 less than the FNX, I'm just curious if the FNX is worth the extra cost.

Also, any other recommendation or advice for this handgun beginner would be much appreciated!

Chewy

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Do you have any experience with shooting a handgun?

IF Yes: I would find a store that offers both, and feel em out and see which you like more.

IF No: I would recommend a class, and a .22 revolver. They are low recoil, and allow you to focus on the physical mechanics such as hold, trigger squeeze, ect, without feeling like its going to blow out of your hand or being afraid of it. I am biased because thats how I learned, and how I have introduced several people.

Just my two cents.
    Gratz on the LTCH!

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    They're both great guns, the FNX is a new version on the FNP. The controls on the newer model are ambi for those you may switch firing hands or be a south paw.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own two FNP's. A matte stainless 9mm that is my daily carry gun. I also have a matte black USG .40. I can say nothing but good things about them. They are light and accurate. I have fired a fellow members FNX 9 and really liked it. It comes down to a few choices.

The FNP comes with two back straps and three magazines. The FNX comes with four back straps and three magazines. The FNX mags hold one more round. Personally I like the smoother texture on the the FNP grip. Compared to the rougher texture on the FNX grip. One advantage that the FNX has is they have ambidextrous controls unlike the FNP (except for the FNP 45). One downside I see to the FNX is this. To remove the back straps you have to depress a small pin. Some people have complained that over time the back straps start to have play in them. The FNP's back straps are held on by a set screw. Another issue that has irised with the FNX's are the magazines. Some have complained having problems seating the mags into the mag well. From what I have read on the forums they are isolated issues.

FN PS90 FN SCAR FN FS2000 FN FiveseveN 5.7x28mm FNP :: FN Forum.NET Might give the forum a look.

Our fellow members Cru and his wife Kimmi both have an FNX 9. They where kind enough to let me fire theirs. I saw no issues with them personally. In conclusion, they are both great pistols. It's just a matter of minor differences between the two models.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have an FNP-9 in Flat Dark Earth that is a VERY nice gun. Great ergonomics. From what I understand, the FNX just brings ambidextrous ability that the FNP doesn't have. It you are right handed, save $150 + and get the FNP. There are awesome deals on the FNP still right now due to the model change-out. I got mine for $400 + Tax. brand new.

Old Reliable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I recently purchased a lightly used fnp-9, and am very pleased with it. I have the version that does not have the safety, just the decock- which is my personal preference. I have been more than pleased with the gun in accuracy, feel, operation, and quality. The only negative I can think of is magazine price and holster availability (they are out there just more limited than many other guns).

I have not had the pleasure of shooting an FNX, yet. That being said, I would have bought one if not for my safety preferences. I don't think there are any major differences between the two, just minor tweaks.

I really think both are strong pistols and you would be happy with either. Let how they feel in your hand make the decision and if you still can't decide save a few bucks with the FNP.

Oh, and advice for a new handgun owner: Keep in mind the 4 rules of firearms safety and obey them! Have fun.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    These guys hit everything right between the two. Different texture on the side, and controls are SLIGHTLY diff. You can carry the FNX "Cocked and Locked" which you can't do with the FNP 9 but to be honest, I don't carry mine that way. I carry it hammer down safety off.

Good guns.

chewylax8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Thanks for all the advice, you guys rock! I really appreciate the reminders about gun safety, which is paramount. I have been around guns my whole life (not that I'm a pro, still have so much to learn) but understand the fundamentals and am comfortable shooting. I'm going to try (hopefully) both of them before making a final decision, but I'm leaning towards the FNP since that extra saving means more ammo to shoot.

Chewy

Top Bottom