• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Everyone knows these are great pistols. What is the functional and accuracy differences beetween say a $500, $1000, and $2000 version of the 1911? I've been told that the Taurus version is great for the money. But it seems like most sold and traded are Springfield or Colt. Which do you guys prefer over the other. I'm interested in one for target/home defense.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    this is a wide open subject, I've owned 1911's for 30 yrs

here's my take,
    Taurus best 1911 low end for someone not wanting to change anything (aftermarket parts don't fit)

Kimber for 1k a nice 1911,

I haven't seen a 1911 that I'd pay over 1k for that wasn't built into a custom gun

you need to decide what it's for

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    For a nice functional 1911 at a reasonable price point, it is hard to beat a Rock Island. There are many more expensive and tricked out 1911's out there and my personal preference is Kimber so your choice is really more about how much you want to spend.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have seen several Taurus 1911 that their owner said to were great guns, evidently they would run great except on our range where they jammed all the time...must be a weird gravity well. Other than building one yourself i would say the STI are one of the best bang for bucks 1911s available today. For under $700 the Sparten is a great deal...

STI International - The STI

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I have owned Kimbers, Colts,Springfield and STI. For the money you can't beat a STI and I still own 2 Springers and a C&S with the STI.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I picked up a cheap .45 as my first. It isn't anything special, Sistema M1927. I wasn't looking for a .45 for competition so for the price, I don't really think it could be beat. I would like to get a NICE .45 at some point but that will be awhile before I do.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I have owned Springfields, Colts, Para-Ordnance, Les Baers, and a Ballester-Molina. I have never owned a Kimber (don't like the firing pin safety). For a basic gun with what you described, I would say Springfield Loaded. I looked at the RIA and the Citadels, also looked at STI's. Didn't care for any of them. For a basic working gun, (fixed sights, reliable, able to customize) one of the new 1991 Government Models from Colt would work fine.

Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Evansville, the Shallow South
    For what you want, I'd take a hard look at the new Springfield Range Officer. It's about the only thing in that price range that has adjustable sights. Springfield also has a sterling reputation for customer service. For a little less, you can get an STI Spartan. The frame, slide, & barrel are all Armscor (same as RIA), but they're fitted by the experts at STI. Having handled both, I'd recommend the Springfield. Fit & finish is a little better. They're both good choices, though.

1911_Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Plainfield
    for the price and great reliability RIA is a great place to start. over the years(until i turned 18) i saw 1911s come in and out of my family. my dad has owned more than i can count on my hands and feet. he has two right now a Charles daily and a Springfield ultra compact. when he goes to the range he calls and asks if he can take my RIA. granted his 2 are better but there has never been a problem out of my RIA. my best best friend is about to go and purchase his first 1911 here in a couple weeks and he is getting an RIA. i would say for home defence and the weekend target shooter. go with the RIA. its a great price and the make different ones with different items such as sights ect. the gun is only as god as the person behind it.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    3000 rounds of 200 LSWC handloads through my Taurus 1911. Only problem was the plunger tube started to work loose. I restaked the plunger tube with a tool from Brownells. I have cheap $5 magazines I purchased in bulk from DPMS and the gun functions fine with them, no jams, no misfeeds. Oddly, I own 4 Chip McCormick 8 rnd. magazines that will not feed any HP factory loads in this gun. Other than this, the gun is 100% reliable with all ammo. I would purchase another Taurus 1911.

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Chevys and Fords. Normally, when you ask a question like this, the answer you get is the gun that the guy currently owns. There are a number of good 1911's in the 500-1000 range, and there is also a lot of junk. I'd be very wary of buying used, unless you're pretty familiar with 1911's, or you totally trust the guy you're buying from. I've seen to many "experts" and basement gunsmiths totally ruin a good gun. I've seen frames cut too short for the grip safety (cosmetic), and feed ramps "polished" too deep (reliability). Custom "action jobs or trigger jobs" are usually a safety concern. You're on the right track by doing your research.

reeseg45

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    sig p220 all the way no fumbling around with safety levers just point shoot and listen to them gurgle

Top Bottom