• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PeterJLH09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Greenwood, IN
    I sincerely hope I'm not crossing the line of friendly discussion to heated debate, but I've had a question nagging at my mind for some time now, and I have to ask. I know there are pros and cons to both, but in experience, which provides a better all around back up weapon: a semi-auto, or a revolver? :draw::ar15:

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Personal preference. Whichever YOU would feel more comfortable with.

Good advise. Also, depends on the mission. Your reference to a back up gun would indicate that you are carrying a main weapon. In this case the back up gun would serve in a case where you were disarmed or some other catastrophic event happened where the main gun was no longer an option. At this point, fighting for you life, trying to be too cute could be disastrous. Immediate access, speed, and accuracy are paramount. Whether it be pocket carry, ankle holster, or some other form of back up, I'd recommend something that doesn't take unnecessary motor skills, reducing the sequence to draw, point, and fire your weapon of sufficient caliber to stop the fight. Just my .02 cents, I'm sure you'll get a zillion recommendations on the best gun. Like most of us, you'll figure it out by trial and error.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I carry a S&W 642 Airweight 38spl in a Galco Ankle Glove holster. Very fast draw from ankle while in my car, don't have seat belt, etc in the way.

The same caliber statements makes sense too, however I carry a 45acp. Thought about a small auto instead of my S&W, but change=doom...right? ;)

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If it makes sense chose a smaller version of the primary weapon.

This, especially for those with a Glock for a primary (or other semi auto where the smaller models can accommodate the mag from the larger primary, carry the compact or subcompact of the same caliber, and be able to share mags, etc.

If it's possible for a revolver I would do the same with models of gun that can share speed loaders, etc.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I actually prefer small j frame backups. Easier to maintain control in a FUT (F*ucked up tangle) and will not jam like an auto would. Now if they consistently would make one in 9mm.......

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    When my primary was a Glock 21, I carried the Glock 30 as my back-up. Same caliber and the bug could take the primary's mags.

Since, I have switched to a 1911. I personally just don't trust the officer's size 1911's. Now I carry a Ruger LCR.

I personally will go with a semi-auto if I can match mags or at least calibers. But, do not trust the really compact semi-autos.

It's all about personal preference and what you feel comfortable shooting / betting your life on.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I like carrying the same model as the primary and the back up. I do not subscribe to small guns. If my hands don't fit on the grip of the gun I don't own it.

Not a fan of carrying revolvers. This is the 21st century for one, and the limited capcity is not very good. To me only an optimist thinks a shootng situation can be successfully solved with five rounds and a purse gun.

Speed loaders are an oxymoron.

These are just my thoughts and not necessarily meant to hurt anyones's feelings.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    There's a strong case to be made for a DAO revolver in a compatible caliber as a backup to your primary self-defense pistol.

On the other hand, you could have compatible magazines if you decided to go with two Glocks, or something along those lines.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Most "backup" carry guns are carried concealed, even if your primary gun is carried open (i.e. LEO). In the rare cases where both guns are carried open, then I assume an identical copy of your primary carry gun would work fine. Once one assumes the "backup" guns is carried concealed, then a major factor (like any carry gun), is being able to carry it. Depending on your carry location(s), dress and what you are doing, first you have to pick a firearm than fits and you can carry, that in turn does what every you need it to do (i.e. excluding at lease the 25 ACP and 22LR Mini Rev here ;-).

I have found for pocket carry in dress slacks not much larger than a 380 ACP semi auto fits (Dockers or other casual clothing leave additional options). Excluding dress slacks pocket carry (Colt Pony 380 is the largest that fits for me), I tend to prefer an alloy hammer-less S&W J frame myself.

An angle holster tends to be hard to draw from in many positions and takes a little getting use to. Lastly since this is "backup" firearm, have to assume a strong side IWB holster is not an option, that space being used by the primary carry.

Regards
    John

Last edited:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I am still looking for a J frame size revolver in 40 that takes moon clips.
    Taurus was supposed to have one out about two years ago and I am still waiting .
    Due to my work situation pocket carry is my only option some days so my BUG becomes my only carry option. I have been looking at a S@W 610 night gaurd this would at least solve my caliber issues and the moon clips should speed the reloads.
    I agree that speedloaders aren't much use and it makes sense to carry a smaller version of your primary.For these reasons I have been looking into the new XDm compact.
    I will probably always own at least one small revolver . I just like them

Top Bottom