• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I would Like to try building a plain jane 1911 for as cheap as possible. i found some other forums people talked about buying everything for less than $300 bucks. Where can I find that stuff? I've only ever shot 1 taurus 1911 and I kinda liked it, but not enough to spend 500 or more on one. I'd rather try building one then I might like it more. I'm going to the 1500 would that be a good place?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Unless you are buying the cheapest possible components at dealer prices I don't see how they can come close to $300 for everything. Just a few minutes browsing in Brownells will show you that. And unless you have a good bit of 'smithing skill putting together a 1911 from parts is not the simple job building an AR is. Unlike an AR almost every part of the 1911 will have to be hand fit unless you want to end up with a sloppy loose gun that rattles when you shake it.

I think you would be far better off buying a used 1911 even if you do have to spend $500 and use it to learn the platform.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I don't think you'll be able to build one for that unless someone gives you parts. The cheapest place I know of to buy parts is at Sarco, though I've never purchased there because I've no idea of the quality of the parts.

Gun Parts, Kits & Accessories, Gun Stocks & Barrels, Military Gun: SARCO, Inc.

They sell entire Rock Island 1911s starting at $350, but you'd have to factor in shipping and transfer, so you'd be better off IMO going to a local shop and buying one there.

It's your money and time, but if it were mine, I'd buy a complete gun for the extra $100 or so (assuming you could even part one together for $300, which you can't).

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    ok good to know, sarco was where I was hearing about people getting the parts someone said they built one for 265 bucks but that was back in 2008

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i built this for a little over 400 buc's with all used parts....

2vt7gph.jpg

Top Bottom