• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    So I just bought my brothers... he needs the money, I had the money, and it's a nice little gun...

Anyway... I can't seem to find ANY magazines for it ANYWHERE. The two he has have continuously been loaded for about 8-10 years, and starting to wear out... they just aren't in great shape.

Anyone ever seen them anywhere... I've been looking on google and can't seem to find anything. Gunbroker is a bust too... just a few guns, and a few parts lots.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Try:
    Numerich - Springs if not mags
    Centerfire systems
    Makarov.com Going out of business
    Brownells - Springs if not mags
    AIM
    SOG

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I think I've figured it out... anyone know much about makarovs? When I search for just makarov magazine... I get lots of the 9x18 that look identical. So basically were these made similar to the ak's... where there is just one mag type for the "low cap" and one mag for the "high cap" models? I've already noticed the 9x18 and .380 mags for them are interchangeable, only the barrels are different.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I was @ Bradis today and they have Makarov mags for something like $10 each. Looked like they had maybe a dozen.

Bradis is on Indiana 67 (aka Kentucky Avenue) a couple of miles south of I-465. (Camby/Mooresville)

And be sure to ask for UGLY OLD ICHABOD! (trust me)

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I was @ Bradis today and they have Makarov mags for something like $10 each. Looked like they had maybe a dozen.

Bradis is on Indiana 67 (aka Kentucky Avenue) a couple of miles south of I-465. (Camby/Mooresville)

And be sure to ask for UGLY OLD ICHABOD! (trust me)

Thanks I know where Bradis is, I'll have to run up there Saturday :)

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    No problem, Ryan.

I've had my East German for almost 15 years. Excellent for CC.

Can't help it, I'm a Warsaw Pact freak. :D

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    No problem, Ryan.

I've had my East German for almost 15 years. Excellent for CC.

Can't help it, I'm a Warsaw Pact freak. :D

Yeah his is always on his dash... or worse sitting in his bedroom while he is out and about... his IWB is kinda beat up, but it'll work for now. I wanted something that I could keep on my left side, and was about to go shopping this weekend when he asked tonight if I knew anyone that would buy it for 75-100, so I went straight to my safe and got 100 out and handed it to him. He's only fired the thing once in like 5 years... he fired 2 rounds out of it, I fired another 14 or so out of it but we were at Don's and I had something else I was more interested in putting a few rounds through real fast. I just ordered 300 rounds for it, 2 mags, one of the original leather holsters, and rubber grips (about 160 shipped total... ordered from 2 different places). so $260 for the Mak, 2 used mags, 2 new mags, rubber grips, 359 rounds (25 hornaday I had him buy to use as carry rounds, then 34 rounds rounds left out of the box of wolf), 1 nylon iwb holster, 1 leather holster... not a bad evening :)

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you need some parts (sounds like it was a bit abused) you could get an armorer's kit for it from TDW Sales All the internal springs and parts (even a barrel) to rebuild a Mak for $80. I'd replace the barrel on mine, but I can't find a barrel press and don't have the stones to hammer it out as some have suggested.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Wow, I was just talking with a buddy today about how one would go about replacing a fixed barrel. Seems like it would be a pain in the arse!

Ryan, let me know how you like the rubber grip. I saw one online the other day and for $10 was considering it. Not that I don't like the existing grip, but I'd like to know what someone who uses one thinks of it.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Wow, I was just talking with a buddy today about how one would go about replacing a fixed barrel. Seems like it would be a pain in the arse!

Ryan, let me know how you like the rubber grip. I saw one online the other day and for $10 was considering it. Not that I don't like the existing grip, but I'd like to know what someone who uses one thinks of it.
    Alright I'll try to remember. Cheaper Than Dirt has a few different ones, I just went with one of the cheapest ones that doesn't look ugly, I'll see how I like it.

Also, to the fixed barrel thing... makarov parts | makarov barrel press | grip screws | magazine loader | has a barrel press for $22 "Makes replacing your Makarov barrel a snap."

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN

I like the rubber grip. It came today... only thing I don't like... is you can pull it up off the frame with a fingernail in the front parts, since it only attaches with the screw in the back. That isn't an issue with the rigid plastic, but with the rubber grip it is. It is stiff enough though that it shouldn't be a snag issue or anything when holstering or drawing.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Hey, thanks for sharing that info!

I may hold out a little longer. If I see one, I may grab it, but not motivated enough to order it online.

tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    I have a Bulgie. Great gun for carry, I've often thought about selling my high priced carry gun and just using this.

Mags used to be cheap and plentiful, so did the pistols, so did the ammo. Not so much anymore.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I have a Bulgie. Great gun for carry, I've often thought about selling my high priced carry gun and just using this.

Mags used to be cheap and plentiful, so did the pistols, so did the ammo. Not so much anymore.

Brown Bear makarov is cheaper than anything else besides .22lr.

Well guess not... AMM-398 - Ammo 9x18 Makarov Brown Bear 94 Grain FMJ Steel Case Lead Core 50 Round Box It was 8 something a few days ago... now it's 11.49... which is about what you'd pay for 9x21, 9x23 or .380.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Earlier today I went through a box of Wolf. One per magazine was a FTF.

It's disappointing, but at $10 a box, I'm not going to get too worked up over it. I've got four more boxes, so it will be enough to keep me busy as winter sets in.

Next ammo in line is Sellier & Bellot. Also have some Fiocchi on hand.

Never tried the Brown or Silver Bear, but I've heard it's much like Wolf. You may never have a problem or you may get FTF on 10% of the box.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Earlier today I went through a box of Wolf. One per magazine was a FTF.

It's disappointing, but at $10 a box, I'm not going to get too worked up over it. I've got four more boxes, so it will be enough to keep me busy as winter sets in.

Next ammo in line is Sellier & Bellot. Also have some Fiocchi on hand.

Never tried the Brown or Silver Bear, but I've heard it's much like Wolf. You may never have a problem or you may get FTF on 10% of the box.

I've heard a lot better stuff about it than I have wolf... the fact that it is lacquered though makes me a bit uneasy about it... just more crap to gunk up while shooting.

Top Bottom