• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Looking to buy something for the wife to carry.:rockwoot:She's not comfortable with an autoloader and she seems to like the simplictiy of a revolver. I'm leaning towards a S&W 642 stainless ( or Aluminum?) .38 airweight with the hammer shroud. If the gun is to heavy, she won't carry it and I have a world of faith in the .38 Glazer Safety Slugs.

I would appreciate any imput about this particular gun.

Thanks,
    Steve

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Has she ever actually shot one? I know my small mother thought about carrying one until she tried the trigger and couldn't muster the strength to pull it (pre-arthritis).

Just a consideration, as you really can't go wrong with a S&W revolver.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I just happened to be in the same boat a few months ago. I have a S&W 442 and when the wife shot it (once) she handed it back and said she was "done with that one!"

She wound up picking out an older Ruger Speed Six because the extra weight was to her liking when shooting.

I would see if she could try one out before buying to be sure she would like it. I, to be honest, find shooting the +P ammo hurts after 6 or 7 rounds myself.

Either way, those 642's are very nice! Maybe you should buy it anyway "just in case she would like it"!

Cam

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Light weight revolvers are really not the best handguns for inexperienced shooters. The recoil can be a bit "surprising" to say the least.

The heft of a Ruger SP101 will make the recoil of a .38spl round a but more manageable and can handle .357 magnum loads.

The mistake most folks make when helping a female choose a handgun, is that they think that "small" guns will be easier for them to shoot, nothing could be further from the truth.

That being said, I am quite found of my matte black 442.
    SW442_001.jpg

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I got kind of beat up on another post when I suggested that, in my experience, new female shooters were somewhat intimidated by semi autos.

My wife absolutely loves her Model 19 snubby stoked with +p 158 38 sp. She also likes her model 36 with the same load because she can see the hammer and it makes sense to her. She proudly proclaims to her friends that her "go to" gun is her 357 magnum Model 19.

I don't worry about the details, her confidence in the handgun and her ability to make hits are all that matters.

In my experience, make your suggestions for your wife with the heavier versions of whatever pistol. It must NEVER hurt for her to practice with it.

My wife and daughter do not like my SP101, go figure. Put different guns in their hands. They will tell you what they like...

FWIW, I have totally changed my mind about Glaser safety slugs over the years. I think the heaviest bullet for the caliber is the best. JMO

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My daily carry gun is a 642. It is made with an aluminum frame and stainless steel barrel and cylinder. It is a nice light gun, but for me, not too light for sustained shooting sessions with defense loads. I am an accomplished double-action shooter, having spent many tens of thousands of rounds over the years pulling a double action trigger, so the double action only trigger pull of the 642 suits me.

I bought a 642 for my daughter when she graduated from college. She, like a lot of folks, doesn't shoot very much. She is a relatively accomplished handgun marksman considering the little that she shoots. She is not very good at double-action shooting, since she hasn't put in much effort at gaining that skill. She is not that fond of her 642 for this reason, and for the fact that the recoil from this light gun bothers her. Now, if she put in more trigger time with this gun with .38 SPL light wadcutter loads, and fired a few defense loads once in a while, I think she would come to like this little gun, like I do.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    My daily carry gun is 642. I like mine a lot and carry it in several ways. It ususally rides in my front jeans pocket, though in the winter it goes in the outside pocket of my Carhartt. When I ride it can also go on my ankle or in my vest pocket. I never notice it in any of these places. A solid, well made, reliable gun. It does bite when shot, but its the sorta gun that you dont shoot much except when you REALLY have to, and it dont seem as bad then.

I recently bought a Taurus 85 from a fellow forum member and I LOVE it. Being that it is all steel it weighs a bit more, but it is MUCH easier to shoot than my 642. If the lady in question is going to carry it in her purse, or a pocket of a heavy jacket, or in the console of the car, or any other place where one isnt bearing the full weight of the gun on her person all day, I would definetly pick an 85. Even when stoked with premium defense asskickers it aint that bad.

I would keep in mind also that this is a belly gun. If you are concerned with how she will shoot it, try having her do a Bill Drill into an IPSC target at 5 yards. This should give you some fairly realistic information.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    There are several nice things about the 642. The top feature is the weight. At only 15 oz(unloaded) you can put it just about anywhere.

The second nice thing about the 642 is the fact that there is no external hammer. if it is in a jacket pocket, she could walk with hand on gun with nobody the wiser. If she had to she could fire all 5 shots through the coat and not worry about a hammer or slide catching on the coat.

The 642 does kick...a lot, especially with +p rounds. If she is willing to shoot it at the range, encourage it, if nothing else get some light reloads. In a defense situation, I hardly doubt recoil will matter, maybe for a followup shot but not for it "hurting"

even if she is not willing to shoot it much at the range. A gun in hand that she has never shot is better than her not carrying when being attacked. Just my :twocents:

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I have the 642's darker brother (442), and I find it to be an ideal carry piece. The only issue I had with the gun was the sticky grips that it came with (UM boot grips). I put on a set of Hideout Grips, and now it is as perfect a snub as I would ever want. I found recoil to not be an issue, but I am also used to a SS Taurus snub in .357 Mag. You could make a much worse choice than the 6/442. You may want to rethink the Glasers though.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The mistake most folks make when helping a female choose a handgun, is that they think that "small" guns will be easier for them to shoot, nothing could be further from the truth.

+1

I hear all too often from inexperienced people that they don't want a big gun because they are too powerful. They equate physical size to power and recoil. I have to explain to them that it is actually the opposite. All things the same, the smaller gun will recoil more.

That being said, the 642/442 isn't exactly a pleasure to shoot, but it isn't horrible if they ammo selection is right. It is a damn nice little gun though.

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    My wife carrys a 642s+w and I think it is a great gun for a woman. The trigger was a little stiff when first purchased and my gunsmith added a new trigger spring kit and polished the works and lightened up the trigger nicely. With a little practice, I think your wife could be very comfortable firing a 642. I would say that the sights being very low profile take some getting used to.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    My wife carrys a 642s+w and I think it is a great gun for a woman. The trigger was a little stiff when first purchased and my gunsmith added a new trigger spring kit and polished the works and lightened up the trigger nicely. With a little practice, I think your wife could be very comfortable firing a 642. I would say that the sights being very low profile take some getting used to.

I absolutely love my 442. My wife would beg to differ with you however, on the notion that it's a great gun for a woman. But that is her opinion, others may vary.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't mind shooting my 642 with standard WWB target loads...

But with some Federal 125gr +p rounds in it, it rides the line between uncomfortable and almost brutal. I have big hands and can't hang my pinky on the grip for extra control, though.

If you want to get a revolver for her, as mentioned, look into the Ruger SP101, perhaps even in the new .327 Magnum loading.

(can't wait until S&W comes out with a J-frame in that cartridge!!!!!!)

-J-

34oSc

I'd start her off on a 2" S&W 22 (does mod 34 sound right?) or a Colt 22 Diamondback. I'd get her shooting with alot of confidence before moving her up in calibers. There are alot of old .32 snubbies out there that get overlooked too.
    Just my 2 cents.

huawilso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    New Castle, In
    Smith's 642/442

Both of these are great guns I have owned both models and currently have the 442 I just sold a 642. The only concern of mine would be the recoil. They are not fun to shoot, but they would get the job done if needed for personal protectiion. You might consider the new Ruger LCP it is a nice piece. :ar15:

Last edited:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Recoil is something to consider, however, I highly doubt that when she NEEDS it, she will ever remember the recoil. If you lady is a bit dainty (mine is) remind her that occasional she will have to use her muscles when shooting. Remind her that she controls the gun, not the other way around. When involved in a real shooting your body dumps a whole pharmacy of drugs into your body. You could try having her down a tall glass of Jack Daniels, give her 3 epinepherine injections, smack her on the ass and then have her try to shoot it. That may be close to a real life shooting!

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Recoil is something to consider, however, I highly doubt that when she NEEDS it, she will ever remember the recoil. If you lady is a bit dainty (mine is) remind her that occasional she will have to use her muscles when shooting. Remind her that she controls the gun, not the other way around. When involved in a real shooting your body dumps a whole pharmacy of drugs into your body. You could try having her down a tall glass of Jack Daniels, give her 3 epinepherine injections, smack her on the ass and then have her try to shoot it. That may be close to a real life shooting!

I lol'd. :):

I agree, in the heat of the moment, recoil is the last thing you will notice.

That being said, we all agree that "she" will need to at least fire the gun a few times just to learn how to manipulate the gun. The last thing you should do is get her a gun that scares the hell out of her when she shoots it.

To add, Mike the last two sentences of your post still have me laughing.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Craig, totally agree. If nothing else it can be a mental thing. She might not be comfortable carrying something that she knows she doesnt like to shoot. However, what we are comfortable with, or can become comfortable with has a lot to do with the mindset we have before we ever touch it the first time. She is the only one that can determine how OK she is gonna be with it.

Top Bottom