• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I'm considering one of these for concealed carry. Does anyone have any opinions on them? Seams to be a quality firearm and small enough to carry comfortably. Thanks for any input.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have one that I use as a backup for inside home defense. It is a nice pistol in the Beretta tradition, but it is one you have to hold and make sure it fits your hand. They do have a large grip, and the double action trigger pull is about a mile long.

My 9000S (9mm) double action trigger pull is so long that when I take it out after not practicing with it for a long time, I have to remember how to hold it. If I hold it as I do any other of my pistols, the long D/A trigger pull winds up being impossible. There was one time that I took it out, and squeezed the trigger to what felt like was all the way back. The 9000 didn't fire until I pulled it back further than what felt normal. I reset the hammer, and tried a second round in D/A and this time slid my had slightly around so that I was just bearly able to pull the trigger. This time it worked.

That is the only issue I have had. It has fired 100% of the time when I hold it right, and it is not me causing the issue. It is great in single action. It is very accurate, with fairly low felt recoil.

If it fits you, it is a great pistol. Unfortunately because of the way it fits, there are many people who hate it just because it doesn't fit their hand, and to be something you count on, you need to make sure it does.

Oh, just added, it can be carried cocked and locked so that it is ready to fire in single action as soon as you release the safety.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Thanks for the reply. I currently have a DAO pistol with a long trigger pull and I don't like it. I don't mind the DA/SA as much but I do need to get my hands on one to see how it feels.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I had a Beretta 9000 for all of about 3 weeks, decided it was not for me and took a bath on it and bought a Taurus PT-940, granted it's a bigger frame, but it fit my hand way better than the 9000 did.

Since Beretta introduced the 9000 over 11 years ago, there have been several better sized firearms introduced that I feel are better for concealed carry, including my choice of the Taurus 709.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I used to have a 9000s in .40

Quality is top notch in my opinion, I never had any problems with mine. I didn't feel like it was quite small enough for easy concealment. It's slightly larger than a G27, but not by alot. With a quality holster, it probably wouldn't have been an issue.

I sold mine and am still on the lookout for a replacement for it. The Beretta is a fine pistol, but for easier concealment, i'd go with something like KahrCW series, or Taurus 709....

RealTree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    So would the 9000s be too big of a grip for a small framed woman? I was thinking about buying one of these as well for my wife, but she rarely likes how the glock fits.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Well I currently have a Taurus PT145 for a carry gun. It's compact for a .45 but I like Beretta guns and thought the 9000 would be a little smaller and cheaper to shoot by the way (9mm).

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    So would the 9000s be too big of a grip for a small framed woman? I was thinking about buying one of these as well for my wife, but she rarely likes how the glock fits.

Unless she has long fingers I think it might be a little to big for her grip, I don't have the biggest hands, but not small either and I thought the grip was a little meaty for me with the short grip height combination thrown in.
    Heck even with the pinkie extension I felt it was to short of a grip. But it did shoot good.

Best thing is to get her out to the Indy 1500 in 2 weeks and have her hold onto everything you can find.

My wife and ComputerGeeks wife really like the Taurus 709, I'm still trying to convince my wife to get her license (and take a NRA basic pistol class), CompuerGeeks wife on the other hand got rid of her S&W stubby and now carries the Taurus 709.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I still have a 9000 in .40.

As previously stated, the grip is large, and the slide is pretty fat... But mechanically the gun is excellent - well built and highly reliable. I picked mine up used for $300, and as far as I am concerned, I stole it.

I only have the one mag though :(

( If any of you are willing to part with some of your mags for a reasonable price, I may take them off your hands ;) )

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I just sold my 9000s two days ago. I only had it for a couple of weeks. It felt great in the store. I lost a bit of money but I was happy to move on. Wasn't the comfortable shooter I was expecting. It also is very difficult to work the slide since the exposed barrel is so long. It was a quality gun but just not for me.

growl18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    The slide pull would be difficult for your wife since the slide is not deep on the frame. Very tuff to get a good grip on IMO.

Bigjon07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Personally I find the 9000s 40 to be very comfortable in my hands. For the price, quaility and reliability you can't beat it! Its a unique hand gun that is not for every one, but I have not found one I fancy more!

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I wanted one of these for years and came close to ordering one when I couldnt ever find one to hold, I finally waited on it and was able to get one in my hands. I could tell right off that the gun was not for me

Top Bottom