• Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Taurus PT 24/7 PRO DS
    1204824854_ZmkX8-M.jpg

For its price point, this is an exceptional handgun. Design, firepower, ergonomics, conceal-ability, are among a few aspects where this gun excels. It rivals the more expensive handguns, and comes close to being a deal too good to be true.

Purchasing:
    I’ve been to a few gun shops here in Indianapolis, retail, the 9mm, .40 cal SW, and the .45 cal ACP are going for about $420-$500. On cheaperthandirt.com, I was able to obtain it for $290 with shipping, plus a $35 FFL fee. The gun came in about a week to my FFL.

The Contents:
    The handgun came in a plastic case, engraved with the Taurus insignia. It also brought two magazines, two tools, and a 9mm bore brush for cleaning. The system has a lock on the right side of the gun, which when being stored for a long time, can be locked, thus preventing the firing pin from being engaged.

The gun itself was coated in some milky gun packing grease. It’s very thick, and I don’t recommend shooting out of the box without a proper cleaning.

The Good
    Firepower:
    1204824888_ZxWyB-S.jpg

Boasting a magazine that holds 17 rounds, and one in the head, the total capacity for this weapon stands at a staggering 18 rounds. The magazines are crafty very well, and can take some strength to fully load. I recommend a speed loader; it can be had for about $12.

Cocking force:
    When I first cocked this weapon, I thought I broke it. The force needed to ready the firing pin is incredibly light. You don’t even need to cock the slide completely back. You can half cock it and it’ll be ready. It’s also very easy to front cock the slide, giving you the advantage to ready the weapon with quickness and ease.

Accuracy:
    1204824921_r6PdW-S.jpg

If anything is the defining trait of this piece, accuracy would be at the forefront hands down. This is a freakishly accurate handgun. It comes outfitted with a fixed 3 dot system (not the straight 8 sights as advertised), and a double action/single action trigger. This trigger does take some getting used to. The trigger pull can be pretty long compared to other firearms I’ve handled. Once you’ve obtained mastery of this trigger system, your round will hit the sight picture EVERY TIME. Double tapping is also extremely easy once you learned how far you must return the trigger, in order to be able to fire the firing pin again. The distance is about 20% of the initial trigger pull.

Handling:
    1204844153_R959o-M.jpg

The weight and balance is exceptional. The firearm feels like it belongs in your hand. The ribber grip conforms to different shooters, making this gun feel custom to whoever picks it up. This handgun works well with medium to large hands. Shooters with extremely large hands, or small hands, might find this firearm uncomfortable.
    The firearm weighs only 29 ounces unloaded, with a total length of around 7 inches. The barrel is 4 inches long with 1:16” twists from 6 groves. The body is constructed from high impact polymer, and the slide is made from steel. I’ve seen versions of this handgun with a titanium slide. All in all, the weapon feels natural in your hand, and is a joy to fire.

Field Stripping:
    1204824740_5rwza-M.jpg

The PT 24/7 is an easy gun to take down. On the left side of the firearm, the lever closest to the barrel will remove the slide. Once the slide is removed, you can take apart the spring as well as the action. Cleaning is quick and easy and it’s recommended to clean the firearm after 200 rounds. I personally clean it and oil, as needed, after every shooting.

Conceal-ability:
    1204843996_gZhzv-S.jpg

1204844649_xfGex-S.jpg

It’s no compact, there are compact versions of this handgun, but for a full frame handgun, it’s easily concealable. I purchased a shoulder holster and it’s a synch for everyday carry. I’ve tried the hip holster and it’s uncomfortable. The gun is also works well in the front of the pants and at the back of the pants.

Reliability:
    1204825162_zHmtu-M.jpg

I have put 300+ rounds of the cheap Wally world ammo (Winchester 115 grain FMJ) through the gun without a single misfire, or jam. I have read other reviews on the gun and many different rounds have been fired through it with no problems.

Accessories:
    This weapon can be modified to your liking, thanks to the under barrel rail that comes built into the polymer frame. A plethora of attachments can be added to the gun to make it more versatile. If a laser strikes your fancy, it’s a no hassle install. Pistol flashlight, check! You can even attach a blade under it for CQC.

Fatigue:
    I shot 4 magazines in a row with this gun. That’s 69 shots, with no wrist or shoulder pain. Don’t get me wrong, you have to manage the recoil; it does have some kick to it. With a proper technique and a good stance, fatigue will not be an issue. Also, where would you need to shoot 69 shots in a row? (Unless you’re in the NYPD. Lol.) This would be a great production gun to shoot for events such as Friday Night Steel. High capacity, extremely accurate, with minimal fatigue.

The Bad:
    At first picking up the gun and firing, you will automatically notice the excruciatingly long trigger pull. This gun, in my opinion, would have no rival for the price point, if it had a better trigger. The trigger itself is not cheap, but the distance you need to pull it, will lower your time to first fire. The DA mode is a heavy trigger pull, but still manageable.
    Also, the controls are a bit too close together for my taste. You have to stretch your thumb back to disengage the safety, and in a high stress situation it might prove troublesome. Practice in handling the weapon will make disengaging the safety second nature, so when at the range with this firearm, practice disengaging the safety before firing.

Final thoughts:
    This is an exceptional weapon for the price, a great starter gun. Outfit it with some jacketed hollow point rounds, and you’re looking at a formidable personal protection handgun with incredible firepower. It’s sleek and clean design makes it attractive, it’s also a joy to carry and shoot.

Overall, I would rate this gun an 8.5 out of 10 for multipurpose use. Which include, but not limited to; Target practice, competition shooting, personal protection, and a hunting sidearm. If you are considering the purchase of this handgun, get it. You will not regret it.
    1204825337_axTLT-M.jpg

All photos copyright Frank Martinez Photography

Last edited:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I used to have one of these, and it was a very nice handgun. I sold mine, but for two reasons only: Mine was a 9mm, and just decided to consolidate cailbers and standardize on .45 ACP. Secondly, I grew up shooting SA semi-autos, mainly a 1911, and I could just never get used to the length of the trigger pull.

Make sure to keep the firing pin channel clean on it though!

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    I used to have one of these, and it was a very nice handgun. I sold mine, but for two reasons only: Mine was a 9mm, and just decided to consolidate cailbers and standardize on .45 ACP. Secondly, I grew up shooting SA semi-autos, mainly a 1911, and I could just never get used to the length of the trigger pull.

Make sure to keep the firing pin channel clean on it though!

I second that. Some Hopps 9 and a little gun oil on the firing pin mechanism will extend the life of this firearm for you. Learn to work the trigger, and this can be a shooter for you.

Thanks for the kind comments on the review. I put alot of effort in it because I feel these guns (Taurus) are not looked at seriously when people are purchasing guns. Not everyone could afford a Sig P226 tactical to start.

laserbudd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Anderson
    Very good review.

I have never owned a Taurus semi-auto, but do own the Model 85 revolver (circa mid-80's) and really love the craftsmanship and quality of materials.
    OK, back to the review.....you executed a very good review, with excellent photos...kudos to you.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Is this an actual picture of the gun? Because I don't believe those are Straight Eights.

And is that red bar a loaded chamber indicator?

Yes that's an actual picture of the sights. The red bar indicates SA mode and that the pin is cocked. I don't know the name of the sights. I wrote down what was put into the product description. If you know the real name of those sights, please inform me and I'll edit the review. Thanks in advance.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Is this an actual picture of the gun? Because I don't believe those are Straight Eights.

And is that red bar a loaded chamber indicator?

Those aren't straight eights, straight eights have only a 2 dot picture, with one dot in the bottom middle of the rear sight and one on the front sight.
    When you look down the sights the dots are suppose to look like a "8" hence the "straight eight" name.

Also you dont use a 6 o'clock hold with straight eights or you will shoot way low. When shooting straight eights you COVER the bullseye with the dot on the front of the sight. straight eights aren't target sights, they are defense sights.

I'm not sure what the red bar is on that picture but on my gun (pt145) which is pretty much the same as the 24/7pro, the loaded chamber indicator is just to the rear of the ejection port. Its just a small piece of metal that is painted red and sticks about a tad when its ready to rock and roll.

Heinie%20Glock%20SlantPro%20Straight%20Eight%20Night%20Sights.jpg

These are straight eights, or "Heinie sights"

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I don't know the name of the sights. I wrote down what was put into the product description. If you know the real name of those sights, please inform me and I'll edit the review. Thanks in advance.

Now this is strange. You are correct that, according to Taurus' website, they come with the Heinie Straight Eights. However, the picture they show has 3-dots (like yours), and not the "figure 8" configuration that makes up Straight Eights (hence the name).

From the website:

Heinie Sights
    Features the famous and genuine Richard Heinie "Straight Eight" Sight, using the rapid and accurate dot over the dot system
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Here is what Heinie Straight Eights look like.

s8big2.JPG

When I do a Google image search for "heinie straight eights" they show pictures of the above sight, with a few pictures of 3-dots sights that are again only from the Taurus website.

Your sights look more like Heinie "Slant Pro" sights.

So now I'm :n00b:.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Now this is strange. You are correct that, according to Taurus' website, they come with the Heinie Straight Eights. However, the picture they show has 3-dots (like yours), and not the "figure 8" configuration that makes up Straight Eights (hence the name).

From the website:

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Here is what Heinie Straight Eights look like.

s8big2.JPG

When I do a Google image search for "heinie straight eights" they show pictures of the above sight, with a few pictures of 3-dots sights that are again only from the Taurus website.

So now I'm :n00b:.

You are correct. I just did a search and the sights are FIXED NOVAKS 3 dot system. I'll edit my reveiw right now. Thanks for the heads up.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    Not to toss another wrench in your spokes but I don't think they are Novaks either.

Based on your pictures I'd say Heinie Slant Pros.

Lol. I wish I knew the true name of these sights. They need to get their act together with the product description. I'm going to go out on a limb and take your word for it, because I barely know anything about the names of different sights.

Are shotgun sights considered straight 8 also?

Thanks for the comments about the review. I do have an unfair advantage when it comes to the pictures. :) Frank Martinez's Photos | SmugMug

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    The sight picture for the heinie straight eights is sight picture 3. Although on this picture the rear dots aren't in the right place, that sight picture is the proper way to use them. Many people dont like the straight eights because they "shoot low" but thats not the case, they just aren't lining the sights up correctly.
    sightimages.jpg

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    The sight picture for the heinie straight eights is sight picture 3. Although on this picture the rear dots aren't in the right place, that sight picture is the proper way to use them. Many people dont like the straight eights because they "shoot low" but thats not the case, they just aren't lining the sights up correctly.
    sightimages.jpg

So with the Straight 8 sights, you cover the target and shoot where the dot is? Those are some interesting aiming references.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Well written review. You have given very fair treatment to this often underrated firearm. I've got one in .45 and I love it. It's accurate, reliable, comfortable and easily concealable for a full size pistol. Best of all they look good, not like those polymer and potmetal bricks made by G-lock ;).

Also, great photos - apparently you have chosen the right career.

I have to agree with the others, you don't have straight 8 sights, but that is probably best. The three dot sight wasn't available when I got mine, or I'd have gone with that. The two dot sight takes some getting used to.

Enjoy your Taurus, they're funn to shoot.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    So with the Straight 8 sights, you cover the target and shoot where the dot is? Those are some interesting aiming references.

Yep with straight eights you cover the bullseye with the dot on the front sight. They are defense sights not target sights. However i find my staight eights easy to aquire a target picture quickly and i think its easier to cover the bulleye with the dot, i personally like it better than the traditional hold. It does take some getting used to though.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The difference in your sights vs. what's in the manual:

Probably just a simple model-year difference. Wouldn't surprise me if your pistol isn't a slightly older pistol; before the "change" was made to the straight eight sights.

If your actual owners manual that came with your pistol states something about straight eight sights, I'd call Taurus and inquire. "My manual says I should have them, the Website says that I should have them, but I don't have them."

If they somehow take pity on you and send you a set...you can probably sell 'em. I like the 3-dot set-up the best because it's what I'm most familiar with...

And like others have said, great review. Good pictures, too.

But please, no more "mexican carry" photos! :-)

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    The difference in your sights vs. what's in the manual:

Probably just a simple model-year difference. Wouldn't surprise me if your pistol isn't a slightly older pistol; before the "change" was made to the straight eight sights.

If your actual owners manual that came with your pistol states something about straight eight sights, I'd call Taurus and inquire. "My manual says I should have them, the Website says that I should have them, but I don't have them."

If they somehow take pity on you and send you a set...you can probably sell 'em. I like the 3-dot set-up the best because it's what I'm most familiar with...

And like others have said, great review. Good pictures, too.

But please, no more "mexican carry" photos! :-)

LMFAO, the Mexicans call it hillbilly carry. Hahahahha. There are three sides to a story...

Top Bottom