• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    I know there are many factors that go into the decision making process of purchasing a firearm. I am new to the whole thing but have been thinking about this for several months.

I am a big guy, 6'3 235lbs with some decent size mitts, so I could probably handle a larger handgun with no problem. My main purpose for the gun is home protection and having fun shooting at a range.

Eventually I would like to carry one concealed but I would like some additional training before I make that step.

I have a friend at work who knows a helluva lot about guns and hunting and we have talked at length about the different guns he owns. He showed me his .38 special that he keeps in his pick-up and let me hold it.

He told me his favorite gun by far is his 1911 for a mulititude of reasons. He said that I would probably like it as well. We at one time were going to get together to shoot but our schedules got split up.

I've been doing some research on the 1911 and it seems to be a popular gun. What are your opinions on this gun? :popcorn:

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    it doesnt matter what other people think.

if it looks good to you, feels comfortable in your hands, and shoots the way you like to then its a good gun irregardless of caliber. the caliber of the gun is also personal preference. what works for some doesnt work for others. its all personal preference. hold every gun you can get your hands on before making your decision. my instructor had my wife hitting paper with her eyes closed within about 15 minutes at a range of 20 yds because the pistol comfortable. in her hands and when she shot my glock her shooting was completely different because it wasnt as comfortable for her.

Last edited:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I would encourage you to try as many as you can before you actually purchase one. Some ranges will have pistols that you can rent to get a feel for how different ones operate, recoil, move, etc.

Marc is right when he says it doesn't matter what other people think. For example, a lot of people say women should start with a revolver, but personally I haven't found one yet that I enjoy shooting. It's semi-autos for me. And as far as that goes, Glocks are the best semi-autos around, right? I can't stand shooting them, even though everyone I know has a G19. I'm a SIG girl. Although that may be pure stubbornness on my part. :p

Depending on where you are, you might get a forum member or six to meet you at a range and let you try theirs out. I would read up (like you have been), pick a couple styles/models you want to try out, and then see if anyone has those and would be willing to let you put a few rounds through them to get a feel for them. :)

Happy shooting! :D

Last edited:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If you are in the NWI we could meet up and you could try anything that I have. Sig's, glocks, 1911, and a walther. PM me if you are intrested.

The most important thing is shooting many different guns to get a "feel" for them. Good luck!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Thanks Marc, I guess my question was geared more towards general reliability and reputation of the gun and also which manufactures are good and who to avoid.
    Everyone has their own opinion, and generally no one can agree on which style from what manufacturer. I am a 1911 fanatic from way back, but I now carry a Glock 19 daily. I and many others feel that the 19 is the "thinking man's pistol". It is large enough to be considered a "fighting" firearm, small enough to be readily and comfortably concealed, it is ultra reliable, and it holds plenty of ammunition. Glocks are easy for novice shooters to shoot accurately, they are monkey simple, and they work. Go to a few shops, finger everything, see what you like, do some research, and make an informed decision. Buy your peice, and get training!:twocents:

Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    If you are in the NWI we could meet up and you could try anything that I have. Sig's, glocks, 1911, and a walther. PM me if you are intrested.

The most important thing is shooting many different guns to get a "feel" for them. Good luck!

Hey thanks for the offer, but I'm in the Indianapolis area.

To anyone in the Indy area I'm available basically all day Sunday so PM me if you feel like teaching a new guy how to shoot! :ar15:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    those that give you the advice to find one that feels comfortable in your hand are giving good data. if you are going to have one, might i suggest a medium framed, 4in bbl .357magnum. very versatile. you can shoot light loads for practice and loads suitable for harvesting medium game like deer. of suitable size for someone your size to conceal but big enough that it is easy to shoot. no springs under tension when it is loaded. shorter learning curve to the manual of arms, open the cylinder, fill the holes with ammo, close it and you are ready to go. no extra controls, point and shoot. revolvers of reasonable quality are generally accurate. i could go on.
    don't get me wrong, i like 1911's. arguably the most ergonomic, easy to shoot well handgun made. BUT, not really a beginner's pistol. get what you think you want and seek quality training.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm a 1911 guy, but agree with the others, try different guns and see what you like. Different guns work differently, have different feel, balance and recoil characteristics. For me the 1911 is the right gun, maybe not for someone else. Some people don't like the light triggers or the manual safety on the 1911. Me I can't get used to the mush that passes for a trigger on a Glock or the long heavy pull and mystery break of a traditional double action only, worse yet are the double action/single action guns that change from first shot to second shot.

As for brands, wow that's a loaded question. I will say that I've carried 3 brands, Para Ordnance, Colt and Detonics. I've owned more than 3 brands, but not all were designed for carry so I won't mention those brands. One very interesting system is the Para Ordnance LDA trigger system on a 1911 gun. I have it on 1 of my carry guns from Para and it really is a nice system, especially for a 1911 carry gun. It is also probably a very good system for a new gun owner as the traditional 1911 trigger may be a bit too touchy for a newbie? Just my opinions, you should develop your own by playing with as many as you can.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i have told this story a couple of times on here but im gonna tell it again

i was pops one day and a guy came out of the range and he was shooting a steyr m1a (the very first pistol i looked at when i was 16) and said that that pistol was junk and it kept jamming. so i slowly turned around and said hold it tighter (the slide on a pistol works off the inertia of the bullet being fired) the reason it was jamming on him was because he was holding it too loose in his hand and he was absorbing alot of the recoil due to a loose grip and the slide couldnt cycle right due to lack of inirtia. and the main reason was because he wasnt comfortable with the pistol. your pistol should work for you not you work for your pistol.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    The advice to hold several guns and find the one that fits you best is not quite right. Particularly for a self-declared newb. The odds of you picking up a gun and having a good firing grip the first time are pretty slim. In order to shoot well, you have to work on the mechanics of shooting.

My point is this: Don't base your decision on the feel of a grip, when you may in fact not be holding the gun in the best manner. It seems like holding it must be natural, but in fact its easy to have a poor grip. A gun that doesnt seem to "fit" at first may be just the ticket once you improve your skill set.

You can easily get 1,000 different opinions on what you should purchase. Don't agonize, just do your homework and then pick one you think is a good choice. You wont pick the perfect gun the first time. Your first purchase wont be your last, and hopefully each successive purchase will be more informed based on the previous one.

Good luck.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Best weapon hu? Best weapon you can get is one that is loaded and ready for you. ;)

Not sure if you have taken any training yet or not. Before I got my first handgun my wife and I took our Basic Handgun Course and in the class we got to shoot a slew of weapons (revolvers, glocks, 1911s, desert eagles, etc..). We not only learned how to use them all but that was how I found out what worked best for me (1911 BTW).

My advise is take the course first which will help you focus into 1 of three types of guns: revolver, 1911 type or the platsic ones (glock, H&K, etc..).
    Once you know which type works best for you then you can focus within the 'family' for what you may like best.

Only recommendation I can really give you is GET THE BASIC in which every type of family of gun you get. Meaning don't get any type of laser, or rail to add a light, or anything else fancy. Your number 2 or later guns can get all the bells.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Others have given some very good advise.
    Just a couple of things to think about, price you what to pay, how much will you carry it, how often will you be shooting it, cleaning it ( how simple to break down and put back together ), what you want it for ( carry gun or more of a night stand gun ).

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Something else to think about. How do you react in high stress situations? If you can keep a clear head, regardless of what is going on, then get whatever you want. If you can't, then don't get a semi-auto as your first gun. Semi-autos have the advantage of larger round capacity and quicker reloads. The disadvantage is that if they ever misfire, jam, or fail to eject, then you are screwed until you fix the problem. Revolvers, on the other hand, are simple - pull the trigger again and you have the hammer falling on a fresh round.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    A handgun that feels right in your hands will lend itself more completely to your being able to grip it properly than if you were to try to apply a "proper" grip to a pistol that does not "feel as right". It's my opinion that one can learn proper grip, but it's extremely tough to teach comfort. ......

kinda like buying shoes..... do you buy 'em and take 'em home, then make your feet fit 'em? :cool:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I tend to think that if you need to ask, you probably should start out with an N frame .357mag S&W revolver, preferably one of the older ones.

Just my take. It's a personal decision.

Josh <><

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    this is reasonable advice, but for it to work for you, i would suggest learning a proper grip. the pistol might "feel" good when you just pick it up, but maybe not so much with a proper grip.

A handgun that feels right in your hands will lend itself more completely to your being able to grip it properly than if you were to try to apply a "proper" grip to a pistol that does not "feel as right". It's my opinion that one can learn proper grip, but it's extremely tough to teach comfort. ......

kinda like buying shoes..... do you buy 'em and take 'em home, then make your feet fit 'em? :cool:

Top Bottom