• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wander357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2008
    Columbus,In
    Going to buy a pair of Xd-9 around profit sharing time at the big C. It's going to be the 9 my reasons are my own and this post is not about caliber(not looking to go anywhere near there) just barrel length....um...i'm looking for opinions not nescesarily recomendations from people who carry an XD daily,prefferably those who carry IWB, little nit picks about the 5" like does it get in the way while driving or the extra inch make the draw that much slower than the 4" or if the 4" lacking that extra inch and weight is a little uncontrollable or inaccurate compared to the 5"....real life stuff like that from those who carry and love their xd's

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    In a double stack gun, the 4" barrel of my Glock 23 is plenty long enough. I know I wouldn't want to carry a double stack with that long of a barrel. If you are inaccurate with a 4", you will be with a 5" too. I would be very surprised if the 4" would be uncontrollable in any way, especially in 9mm.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    If I were to buy another XD it would be the M when it comes out in .45ACP. I'm saving up for it now.
    Right now I have the XD40 in 3 and 4 inch. I don't carry the 4" IWB, the 5" would, IMO, be way too long to carry IWB. If that's how you plan to carry, I'd recommend the 3".
    I'm not a very large person, though, so I think a big guy could carry a 4 or 5 inch more easily than I can. I carry in the 4-5 o'clock position.
    Both the 3" and 4" are easy and very comfortable to shoot, even in .40S&W. (not trying to convince you, just my observation). I compared my 3" 40 with my brother's 3" 9mm and found them to be virtually identical to shoot, even though some say the 40 recoil is "snappy" (whatever that means). I have not shot a 5". Both are very accurate for CCW/self defense ranges (I consider 7-15 yds for self and home defense).
    I have not heard of anybody except CSAWS in the post #2 above say that any XD was picky about ammo. I have fired everything from WWB, CCI Blazer, dirty bulk reloads from Dick's sporting goods (I won't buy them again, but just because they are so dirty), Winchester SXZ (BassPro special), Speer lawman, Ranger-T, and Hydrashocks, FMJ, cast lead, and hollowpoint, 135-180gr with no problems whatsoever. I have carried the 3" almost daily for 4 years (some days I carry another gun) and have owned and occasionally carried the 4" since I bought it early in 2008.
    XDtalk.com has some good people/XD Xperts. Look out for that CCE1302 though.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am holding my 4" XD9 as I type this.

Good pistol, better than the 5" version for IWB carry. For drawing and shooting and hitting, no difference between the two. JMO

Wander357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2008
    Columbus,In
    Thanks for the feedback! Im suprised not more people have the 5"er,i hear of those nutty(no offence) 1911 guys packing their Government models under a t shirt without a problem.tho i kinda figured hardcore ccw people would think the 5" model would be a bit much. i looked at the XDm's and i just dont like the look of them...i kinda dig the whole"1911 in the future" look of the regular xd's...well the 5 inchers do anyway...the 4s kinda like a snubby looking sig/glock love child, to me but i can live with that if the 5 incher turns out to be just way too big...i asked about the controll issue because i hear modern polymer guns are like feathers compared to the old rusty p85 im carrying now...i think its a 4" ish barrel or so and doesnt get in the way IWB.

ProudAmerican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I never tried the 5" but I carry the 4" (.45) IWB with no real issue (although I have to make sure it is in the correct position or it gets in the way). I am 6'2, 260 lbs so figure from there.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I carry 1911s, both 4" and 5" and the barrel length for carrying is less of a problem then hand grip size and length since that is what will print the most. Also the lighter the pistol the better.

The XD(m) 19+1 is 32oz, the Bersa 9 High Capacity is 17+1 at 28oz and less expensive (I picked up a new one at the 1500 for $309); although, after reading about the XDM, I might have to get one.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I carry 1911s, both 4" and 5" and the barrel length for carrying is less of a problem then hand grip size and length since that is what will print the most. Also the lighter the pistol the better.

The XD(m) 19+1 is 32oz, the Bersa 9 High Capacity is 17+1 at 28oz and less expensive (I picked up a new one at the 1500 for $309); although, after reading about the XDM, I might have to get one.

Grip length is why I carry my XD45C (4" Barrel) with the 10 round mags instead of the 13. Besides not printing, it fits my hand better.
    I'm 5'8" and 185lbs and I carry IWB and the gun conceals nicely with a loose T-shirt.
    I plan to get a XDM when it comes out in 45C.

Wander357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2008
    Columbus,In
    I had the XD 45 5", shot very well. I had no problems carrying it, but I also carry both of my full size 1911's.

when you say both do you mean at the same time?if so whats your body type and how do you dress to hide them,and what holsters and carry position do you use? im 6'1" and 175lbs and usualy wear a button down and some jeans, that hides my single p85 easily. several people i work with carry two guns but they use one in the shoulder or hip and one on the ankle so that one is obviously a snubby. i like the twin full size gun idea ala Caster Troy...and im thinking if you are anywhere near my build and can carry twin 1911s i can make a pair of the 5" xds work work.

Top Bottom