• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElkhartGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Eklhart
    What do I have to do to get rid of a gun? I have a Kel-Tec 9mm that has so many bad parts and a missing firing pin that i just want to trash it, but know thats a bad idea. How do I dispose of it and how do I go about telling law enforcement I dont own it anymore? Suggestions appreciated.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Don't know about disposal, but why does law enforcement have to know? It's none of their business as Indiana does not have gun registration.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Send it to me, I'll make all the necessary contacts, as well as repairs needed. Rest assured, it will have a good home and you will feel better in the morning. Oh, does it take Glock mags? Or, if it's not a Sub, I'll thermite it in place.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It just occurred to me that broken parts may be covered under Kel-Tec's warranty. It might be worth sending it for repair and then selling it.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    It just occurred to me that broken parts may be covered under Kel-Tec's warranty. It might be worth sending it for repair and then selling it.

Yup, Lifetime warranty and they're pretty good from what i hear. Def worth it IMO.

What model is it?

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I'll give you $25 for it.
    I can always fix it or send it to KelTec for repairs.
    How far are you from Indy?

ElkhartGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Eklhart
    its a kel tec p11 9mm. i bought it used some time ago so the warranty did not come with it. it was a good gun but not what i wanted. i lost the firing pin to it some time ago while transporting it all disassembled. i thought the police knew i had it from when the gun store called it in and gave them the serial numbers to it that it would be under my name, thats why i wanted to know of how to dispose of it properly.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    There is NO firearm registration in Indiana.

If you send the gun back to Kel-tec, they will either fix it for free or repair it at a nominal cost.

If you dan't want to keep it or mess with getting it fixed, give/sell it to someone who will.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    The phone call at the gun store was just to make sure you could buy a gun, in this case a handgun. Beyond that, they couldn't care less about any more specifics than "handgun".

I would be surprised if kel-tec wouldn't fix the whole thing. Then you could sell it for a couple hundered, or at cost to a friendly ingo member.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Or, you could give it to a friendly and helpful person. Perhaps an INGO moderator who first answered your question. :D

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Your broken kel-tec is blood in this shark pool! Oh, and I would be interested in buying it too...

Just let us know where you live and someone will be happy to take it off your hands and leave you with cash.

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    go to ups and send the gun to kel-tec they will fix it or send a new one with same serial#
    life time warranty for the gun
    i had 2 used guns that i sent back
    there customer service is A+
    you can find more info here KTOG.org

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Other way around. You can not ship handguns via USPS unless you're a dealer. You CAN ship hand guns via Fedex or UPS. They both require Next Day Air, although I read that UPS will now let you ship Second Day.

ElkhartGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Eklhart
    thanks for all the great info. i dont know what im going to do with it now. i really dont like the idea of only having 1 gun when i can have 2. (my keltec and my ruger)

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    you cant ship anything gun related via The UPS Store, "not even a pistol grip" according the the manager. You have to take it to one of their big hubs. I tried to ship an upper today and they sent me away. Went to the USPS and they didn't even question me.

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Since you're in Elkhart you can go right to the UPS hub at Hively and 17th street, I believe it is one block north of Nappanee Street.Just have it packaged first.You can also ship it thru Fedex which is next to the airport in South Bend.If it were me I'd have it fixed.If you just want to get rid of it, I live on the northside off of Bristol St. (LOL).Like I said I'd have it fixed.HTH

Top Bottom