• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I have been thinking about getting a Smith and Wesson 1911. I can get a great deal on about any new Smith and thought I would give one of their 1911's a try. I call about the 1911 DK model, don't think I want this one just wanted to get a price check. I would be $860 plus $10 more for shipping for the DK model.

Which model would you pick or does anyone currently have a Smith 1911 and can share some info with me.

Thanks

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    DK = Doug Koenig model ... some extra features that he likes on his guns.

The DK versions are well-built guns. I've seen one go from a store display case to an NRA Action Pistol match and do very well (accurate and reliable over 192 rounds). The only thing I don't like about them is the long, flat trigger pad. On the other hand, I replace all of my triggers with short triggers anyway, so it's no big deal.

$860 is a decent deal. In the past (like more than a year ago), I've seen them over $900 in display cases in shops known to to have reasonable prices.

In general, S&W seems to be the only manufacturer who can make a reliable 1911-pattern gun with an external extractor. The Kimber attempt at the same was a dismal failure when considering all of the guns made (I'm sure some people have some very reliable individual specimens).

As to which model . . . depends on what you want!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    DK = Doug Koenig model ... some extra features that he likes on his guns.

The DK versions are well-built guns. I've seen one go from a store display case to an NRA Action Pistol match and do very well (accurate and reliable over 192 rounds). The only thing I don't like about them is the long, flat trigger pad. On the other hand, I replace all of my triggers with short triggers anyway, so it's no big deal.

$860 is a decent deal. In the past (like more than a year ago), I've seen them over $900 in display cases in shops known to to have reasonable prices.

In general, S&W seems to be the only manufacturer who can make a reliable 1911-pattern gun with an external extractor. The Kimber attempt at the same was a dismal failure when considering all of the guns made (I'm sure some people have some very reliable individual specimens).

As to which model . . . depends on what you want!
    Not to contradict, but I can say the same about S&W and their external extractor, not defending Kimber, because outside of my Series I, I have had NO luck with Kimber. My S&W was THE typical 1911, FTF(with certain bullet shapes), FTE(with almost everything), but DAMN good accuracy. I played with it for a few months, but in the end it became a NRM Colt 70. YMMV

duboismd

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    I picked up a NIB S&W 1911PD commander size in trade. After some work by S&W - they were great - all warranty, it is the most reliable and accurate 1911 I have ever had. My experience with S&W is better than I've had with Springfield and Kimber. S&W at this point would be my first choice for a working 1911.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I picked up a NIB S&W 1911PD commander size in trade. After some work by S&W - they were great - all warranty, it is the most reliable and accurate 1911 I have ever had. My experience with S&W is better than I've had with Springfield and Kimber. S&W at this point would be my first choice for a working 1911.
    Not to start a brand war or anything, but, you state that AFTER some warranty work....... In my personal experience, a NIB gun that has to go for warranty work is NOT a working 1911. YMMV, an just my:twocents:

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    Thank you for the first few posts with helpful info. I will order one this week and see how it shakes out next year for single stack.

As far as brand wars, I had to send serveral brands back for warranty work. I own several glocks, but for some reason USPSA won't let me shot them in single stack.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    At risk of heavy disagreement, I think that the 1911s most likely to function 100% without any additional work are the Rock Island Armory and other less expensive guns made in the Philippines. The Taurus PT1911 is also a good bet.

duboismd

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    Good question and point vigilante. I am very picky with my weapons. Sent the NIB Kimber back twice and the Springfield loaded back once too. I do not hesitate to call and talk with customer service of any manufacturer for any issue. I appreciate excellent warranties (i.e lifetime = S&W & Springfield) and I want my money's worth. In my opinion, not enough folks do that...

Top Bottom