• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just picked this GP-100 up today at Granger Guns. I purchased it from a member of THR and it came all the way from Honolulu, Hawaii. It has a set of Wolff Springs installed which make a huge difference compared to my other GP-100. Now I just have to wait for the weather to break so I can give her a test run.

:rockwoot:

RugerGP100_6web.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    <---will shoot until his hands are to cold to hold a pistol.I have gone at least once a week all this month so far(sunday was a very nice day actually)

:)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The GPs with any springwork done are tremendous fun. I have fired several stock and modified GPs and they are night and day difference. The trigger is MUCH smoother in double action and single action is a breeze. My only complaint is too weak of a mainspring makes the clicks inside the gun hard to feel, so it is hard to "stage" the double action shots. But the lighter pull makes up for it big time in the defensive shooting arena.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    You've got more will power than me if you can get a new gun and not shoot it. I went out this weekend and shot shotgun. It was cold and very windy. I couldn't hit a thing but it was still fun. I just can't turn down a chance to shoot.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    While Ruger revolvers do not conjure the warm and fuzzy feeling of old Smiths, they are solid pieces. As my friend says about Glocks, "when mutant giant rats and cockroaches take over the world, they will be shooting Glocks and AKs at each other."

It is my opinion that Ruger Service Six and GP-100 revolvers will still be around then as well.

*Can you imagine the articles in the Giant Rat gun magazines? "Revolver vs. auto pistol".

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    The GP-100 is a finew gun. Just sold one similar to the one pictured.
    Go to the Ruger Forum. They have a sticky that gives easy directions on how to smooth the trigger. The spring pack helps but yu need to polish out some of the burrs to really make it run.
    These are an excellent revolver. Very strong and dependable. Mine was extremely accurate too. You will enjoy.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I have to agree totally about the Smiths. My no-lock 686-3 6" is my favorite revolver. Accuracy second to none IMO. But I tend to pamper it with more 38 special rounds than anything.

The ruger I feel more comfortable with a larger diet of full house 357's. Although it will see it's share of 38's also.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Yes, the Ruger is a rugged revolver. I screwed up setting my scale while reloading. Loaded 357 cases with 15.0 gr. Blue Dot instead of the intended 10.5 gr. The pressure pushed the primer out of the case where it got jammed in the action. You could read the headstamp on the recoil shield of the GP-100. Cleared the action and reloaded with properly charged ammo and the Ruger jsut kept on ticking. Don't know how a S&W or any other brand would stand up to nearly a 50% overcharge but Bill Ruger saved my ass on that one. I have heard that some ammo manufacturers use Rugers for testing proof loads. Can't verify that but have seen it many times.
    Yes, "straight-shooter" the 686 is a favorate too. Just picked up a 686-3 Performance Center to fill a 20 year void left when I had to sell my first 686. That's why I sold the GP-100 and a couple of others too.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Mmmm... did somebody say GP100? The first firearm I ever purchased and still my favorite full sized .357 magnum.
    gp100s.jpg

Top Bottom