• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I just got off the phone with my buddy who purchased a RIA 1911 government size, milspec. The gun shoots 5 or 6 inches high and a couple inches right from the 15 yard line, the group is good, just off by the stated amount.

I know this isn't the shooter as he'll eat the center out of a target with his other RIA government and is a certified instructor/range officer.

He asked my advice, should he get new sights or what? I said, send it back to Armscor and have them make it right. He really wants different sights on it anyway so he doesn't want to send it back, but I think there's something wrong with the foundation of the gun and this isn't a sight issue per se as I don't think the standard front sight could be off enough to account for the 5 or 6 inches high it is shooting.

Am I right or would you think that new sights are the way to go?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think there has to be more to the problem than just the sights. It may be possible to bring POI to POA with different sights but it sounds like something is pretty far off axis. I would send it back.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    With 1911s, the angle of the final barrel lockup determines vertical POA and no two guns are exactly the same. I would file down the rear sight until it shot to POA and then re-blue the filed portions of the site. As for shooting to the right, you can drift the sight to the left with a brass punch.

To determine how much to drift the sight and file from the top, use this formula:
    Sight radius x (distance to move group / range to target in inches) = POI movement.
    A full size 1911 has a radius of 7".

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    With 1911s, the angle of the final barrel lockup determines vertical POA and no two guns are exactly the same. I would file down the rear sight until it shot to POA and then re-blue the filed portions of the site. As for shooting to the right, you can drift the sight to the left with a brass punch.

To determine how much to drift the sight and file from the top, use this formula:
    Sight radius x (distance to move group / range to target in inches) = POI movement.
    A full size 1911 has a radius of 7".

Thanks for the info, but while I know how to adjust the sights for this awful inaccuracy, I think that the internals of the pistol may be mal-aligned and therefore may cause a problem down the road that can't be fixed with any amount of filing or drifting.

Top Bottom