• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Truckerman79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    McCordsville, IN
    I have a few questions for you .357 owners out there. First if you CC, what barrell length do you prefer? I have held one with a 4 inch barrell and it seems a little bulky if you were to CC. What advantage does a longer barrell provide? Do you prefer a blued or stainless steel finish?

I guess those are my only questions for now. Thanks in advance!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Depends on how you're going to be carrying, IMO.. For my dollar, there's only two kinds of revolver CCW - OWB and "other", like in a pocket or bellyband or smartcarry or etc..

If you're OWB, you're going to have a jacket or sweatshirt or something covering, so no biggie there - a longer barrel isn't a big deal. If it's in your pocket, then a snubnose is best.

I shot a snubnose airweight with .38 in it, and it was enough to let me know that I'm not going to shoot one all day long for practice. The nice part about revolvers is a low rate of failure, so I can go out, shoot 12 rounds, and "know" that everything is good..

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I have a S&W 66-5 that I ues as a winter carry. It's stainless and 2 1/2 brl. As a ccw it's perfect and I like the way stainless cleans up.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    I carry a .357 mag. Ruger SP101 as a back up. This is a five-shot revolver with a 2.25" barrel. I do not carry in on my belt. I own both a 4" and and a 6" Ruger GP100. Both are 6 shot .357 mag. revolver. If I were to carry one as my primary sidearm, I would choose the 4" version. I think that with a proper IWB holster, there would be no problem carrying this revolver on my belt.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    For carry on a belt, 4". For carry in a pocket, 2"-ish. 6" is only for outdoor open carry (like in the woods), hunting, or target shooting IMO.

Overall I prefer the balance of a 4" revolver to that of a 6" even for target shooting.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    For carry on a belt, 4". For carry in a pocket, 2"-ish. 6" is only for outdoor open carry (like in the woods), hunting, or target shooting IMO.

Overall I prefer the balance of a 4" revolver to that of a 6" even for target shooting.

+1, my Smith 66 is carried frequently nowadays. The 4" barrel does give great balance, better than the 6". 6" barrels I generally consider for hunting and target work. Shorter than 3" is great for carry but velocity loss seems greater per inch lost shorter than 4".

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I carried a stub nosed for years

I have a few questions for you .357 owners out there. First if you CC, what barrell length do you prefer? I have held one with a 4 inch barrell and it seems a little bulky if you were to CC. What advantage does a longer barrell provide? Do you prefer a blued or stainless steel finish? I guess those are my only questions for now. Thanks in advance!

Until this past year I carried a Rossi model 877 in SS with a two inch barrel in a OWB leather holster. I own three .357's and have always liked this one the best. Never failed to shoot when I pulled the trigger which prevented me from switching to an auto. I would think for PP you do not need a long barrel as if, God forbid you ever have to use it to protect yourself you will probably be shooting within fifteen feet or less, not fifty.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    For what it's worth, my father-in-law just purchased a Stainless S&W 686 357 Mag 4" and I cannot imagine CC'ing it. I currently CC a 5" Taurus 1911 but the S&W weighs more and has more bulk to it...

As stated above, there's no way you could carry this IWB, in fact I can't imagine carring in a belly band or anything else, just OWB if at all.

Just my :twocents:

PS.. It is a sweet 357 though... :rockwoot:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    What advantage does a longer barrell provide?

Always a trade-off with a handgun........

longer barrel = more weight in front, thus less perceived recoil
    theoretically a bit more accurate due to longer sight radius
    a bit harder to conceal

That's why shopping around is so important........ ;)

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Always a trade-off with a handgun........

longer barrel = more weight in front, thus less perceived recoil
    theoretically a bit more accurate due to longer sight radius
    a bit harder to conceal

That's why shopping around is so important........ ;)

Also slightly more powerful.

But yes, carry guns are always a trade off. A 2" j frame in the pocket beats a hand cannon left at home.

imprimis5

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    Plainfield, IN
    All this being said, I find that my Taurus 65 isn't hard to conceal. It's a six-shot .357 magnum with a 4" barrel, and I can carry it IWB just fine. Sure, it feels a little bulky, but I kind of like that nice solid feeling. At least I know it's there.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I have carried both my S&W 66 2 3/4" barrael and my Ruger SP 101 concealed at various times. I have to say that while the 66 has a much smoother trigger pull, the SP 101 carrys a bit easier. I also like the "no front sights" feature on it as well. Nothing to get hung up if I have to draw it in a hurry. So far as 5 shots versus 6, well, if I need more than 2 ( I always shoot doubles ), than I am in deep doo doo anyway. Once I got used to the weight, I can carry IWB all day and not be uncomfortable. BTW, glad to see another wheelgun fan out there. I am a big fan of the .357caliber.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    So far as 5 shots versus 6, well, if I need more than 2 ( I always shoot doubles ), than I am in deep doo doo anyway.

If you have to fire even one, you are already in deep doo doo.

That being said, carry what you are comfortable with. Also speed strips are small and easy to carry for a reload for a revolver no matter how much the cylinder holds.

esigler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Rio Rancho, NM
    GP100

I carry a GP100 4" on my belt with black leather Gould holster, a double black leather Gould speedloader case with two HSK 586 speeds filled with 125 grains. Back up is my 357 SP101!

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Ruger SP101 in 2&3/4 barrell. 135grain golden sabers. I have some old Black Talons from the early 90s for backup!

Top Bottom