• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melomania

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Howdy all,

I just registered this afternoon, probably one of the younger members (20). I was at the gun show this past weekend shopping around for my first CCW sidearm. I found a vendor (Smith something?) that was selling some new Springfield XD and XDM's. I liked the XD45C but for a few bucks more I get can the XDM40. I know the XD45C is a little easier to conceal but I really like the new design of the XDM. However, I like the higher caliber of the .45 over the .40S&W. I've heard .40 ammunition is more expensive than .45 and visa versa.

The question is, XD45C or XDM40? :dunno:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I like the looks of the new XDm, but being so new it's not really field tested yet. Plus, getting aftermarket parts (magazines, holsters, etc.) might be a challenge. That said, I would still consider picking one up. If I had to choose, though, I'd rather have the 45 in compact than the 40 in full-size, but that's just my preference.

Keep in mind that since you are under 21, you cannot purchase a handgun from a dealer (Federal law). You can purchase legally from a private citizen (in Indiana), however, provided it's not a "straw purchase".

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Unless you are are already familiar with automatics, I'd recommend carrying a snubby .38spl or .44spl until you get acquainted with whichever semi-auto you decide to go with.

IMNSHO, everybody should have a 1911 in .45acp and a .38spl snub in their collection.

Maybe that's just me; I learned off some old folks.

That said, when I was your age (damn I sound old!), I was carrying a Taurus PT92AF, no decocker. That was my daily CCW until 03/08 when I got more interested in the 1911, then got hooked on it.

The Taurus is still laying with my snub and other pistols, waiting to be used.

Josh <><

melomania

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Scooter, I also own a mosin like yourself. I've noticed there are many other mosin owners on here too.

I realize that by law I cannot purchase from a dealer. I'm a few months away from 21 but my father is willing to purchase and have the gun transferred to my name.

My buddy is a real gun nut, he claims to know someone that works for Springfield. I'm going to try to see if he can hook me up with a discounted XDM. If not, I'll be purchasing at the Indy 1500 on Jan 9,10, or 11 of 2009.

Pami, I'm going to look into it. Recently my dad gifted to me a .22 Colt revolver he purchased back in '74. I'm not sure what model it is but it should be worth a good chunk of change...

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    First off, :welcome:. Second, I went with the XD in .40 for my first handgun. I was thinking about the .45 but then it occurred to me, ammo is more expensive, and I like to shoot a lot. With my .40 alone, I spend $100 every other week to shoot. (300 rds. and a range fee) .45 is even more, yet my buddy who owns a 9mm pays about 7 bux less a box than me. Smaller round yes, but serioulsy, it'll stop someone.

Lastly, like Scutter said, accessories may be hard to find/expensive.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Neither .40 SW or .45 ACP is going to be your most economical ammo.

The only main defensive caliber that is really significantly less expensive than the others is 9mm. Even in 9mm, premium defensive ammo will be pricey. What makes the difference is the availability of cheap practice ammo. If you'd like to buy inexpensive practice ammo at Wal-Mart, or buy surplus or bulk online to save $, then 9mm is really your best choice.

I think you should consider 9mm anyway, even forgetting the cost of ammo. For the best accuracy and shootability, I think it is often a good thing to match the power of the cartridge to the size and weight of the gun.

I know the latest trend is to make tiny plastic guns chambered in monster calibers - pretty soon someone is going to start marketing the ".50 BMG Micro-Carry." But those guns are often unpleasant to shoot and difficult to shoot accurately.

Expensive to shoot, unpleasant to shoot, and difficult to shoot - what a great combination for a first carry gun!

Personally, I think 9mm is a perfectly adequate caliber for self defense and in a small, light carry gun, you will probably shoot it better, and enjoy shooting it more, and therefore practice more. You will be a lot better defended with a 9mm you can really shoot masterfully than a .40 or .45 you can't afford to shoot much, or that develops a nasty flinch reflex, or you don't take to the range because it's no fun to shhot.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Go with the XD45C. They shoot great and you will not regret choosing the 45 over the 40. I carry and shoot the XD45C and have never regretted buying mine.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    +1 for Training

I'm a newbie to shooting to and the first thing I did BEFORE I purchased anything was to take the NRA Basic Pistol Course. Covers different pistol types, calibers, etc. and most importantly Safety. You will also get to shoot a variety of guns to see what you prefer and what works for you.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have rarely seen a new shooter do very well starting with a .40. Don't listen to the stories, it isn't some monster round that will vaporize any enemy. It is just a neutered 10mm and just adds a bit more punch than a 9mm at the expense of capacity and, for many shooters, controllability.

Keep in mind that to shoot well, you need to put rounds down range. Lots and lots of rounds. I am a .45 guy, but I try to steer most new shooters towards a 9mm because of its popularity (ammo is everywhere), lower ammo cost (shoot MORE!), and for most people, it is easier to shoot accurately. Plus there are a gazillion good guns chambered in 9mm.

Training is always a must though. You aren't born with the knowledge of shooting and self defense and as usual, hollywood is very, very, VERY, wrong.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You might consider an XD or XDm in 9mm until you feel proficient and just try some .40s and .45s in the meantime. You will likely want to keep the original for practice and or competition even if you change your carry preference at a later date.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Howdy all,

I just registered this afternoon, probably one of the younger members (20). I was at the gun show this past weekend shopping around for my first CCW sidearm. I found a vendor (Smith something?) that was selling some new Springfield XD and XDM's. I liked the XD45C but for a few bucks more I get can the XDM40. I know the XD45C is a little easier to conceal but I really like the new design of the XDM. However, I like the higher caliber of the .45 over the .40S&W. I've heard .40 ammunition is more expensive than .45 and visa versa.

The question is, XD45C or XDM40? :dunno:

:welcome:

im also 20 so you're not alone. if i was you i would go with the xd45c. the xdm is bigger and would be a bit harder to conceal. i've been wanting one for the longest time now.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    20 Years Old here too :D

I would suggest you get your hands on everything you can, see what you like the best. I'd suggest a Glock 19 thought :rockwoot:

Top Bottom