• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    In the last episode of The Office, Dwight accidentally discharges his Beaumont-Adams revolver. When his boss chastises him, she says, "Beaumont-Adams is a girl's gun." Not being a connoisseur of antique firearms, I looked it up, and the Beaumont-Adams was a service revolver of the British military in the 19th century that saw action in war. So why would Jo call it a girl's gun?

I guess if we're hurting for new posts, here's another topic for debate: should Dwight K. Schrute open carry or concealed carry? What about Mose? Is it a good idea to carry a banana in your holster in case you get hungry later?

bingley

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    I know nothing about Beaumont-Adams but that episode was hilarious. I think for Dwight to stay in character he has to open carry. After all, he is a volunteer Sheriff... or something like that. He should also have one of those concealed carry badges.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I thought Dwight mentioned that Jo collected those and maybe that is why she considered it a 'girl's gun'; Jo seems like the type of character that would consider shooting anything less than 3" magnum shells out of a 12 gauge as a waste of a good shotgun so maybe that is also what she was implying that it wasn't enough gun for her. Great character and great episode. Join The Fist!

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette
    I thought Dwight mentioned that Jo collected those and maybe that is why she considered it a 'girl's gun'; Jo seems like the type of character that would consider shooting anything less than 3" magnum shells out of a 12 gauge as a waste of a good shotgun so maybe that is also what she was implying that it wasn't enough gun for her. Great character and great episode. Join The Fist!

He did mention earlier in the episode that she collected them. Operation Overthrow huah. :rockwoot:

Blind Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    In a van, down by the river
    Raquel_Welch_GunL1.jpg

I believe Raquel carried an Adams in Hannie Caulder.

Girls gun??? I'll take two!

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Probably has something to do with the comparative wimpiness of the typical Brit military revolver rounds. Even after the change to Cordite from BP, these weren't exactly powerhouses. Typically, the standard ballistics were a 250-265 gr. bullet at 600-700 f/s. I've fired a couple of boxes of Fiocchi .455 Webley ammo from a Mk.VI Webley and believe me, it isn't at all impressive at either end.

IIRC, the Beaumont-Adams design was originally a .44 to .54 Cal. C&B. Later on (ca.1872) some began to be converted to use the new BP metallic cartridges, first the .450 Boxer and a bit later the standard .455 Brit service cartridge. While a few of the last production Deane, Adams & Deane revolvers were specifically made and proofed for use with the then-new 'nitro/cordite' rounds, from what I understand these are quite rare and valuable collector's items.

I would guess that a true Beaumont-Adams model conversion bearing genuine Brit "Nitro" proof marks (and thus "safe" to fire with modern standard-pressure .455 smokeless loads) in good firing condition would likely fetch at least the price of a nice used auto if it went to auction.

Those writers must be mixing some strange and exotic substances with their lattes and Red Bull.

Top Bottom