• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Ok so when I saw the Solo come out my eyes glazed over and I could hear myself saying....muuust have thaaaat :@ya:

So, not having the funds to buy and still lusting over it I saw that Midwest Gund and Range Elkhart, IN had one for rent. 10 bucks for the rental and about 15 for the ammo (115 gr ball) I was set up. As we all know it's a small gun. It's supposed to be. That magazine holds 6 and I have to say I wasn't sure I loaded it right. It seems to seat the last round in a funny position. I tried to push it to the rear of the mag fully and that round didn't want to feed correctly. So I guess the suggestion is don't force it.

A word about my experience so you can judge my thoughts on it accordingly. I don't have a lot of experience with a lot of different handguns. My main experience is on a HK USPc .40 with the LEM trigger. My other gun is a P22 that has DA/SA. Both guns have a trigger that "stacks" (meaning increases pressure as you pull) before let off. The Solo DOES NOT STACK. The first trigger pull it went off in total surprise. It is striker fired so you won't see any hammer moving back as you pull. So I had a few mental adjustments to make as I worked with the Solo.

Once I understood how the trigger was going to feel I got better with it. I had my target at 7.5 yards. Aiming dead on hold (front dot covers where you want to hit) my rounds were striking high and right by a couple inches. So if I had to do over I would probably try to shoot it with a 6 o'clock hold.

I thought the gun functioned just fine even though I was not using the Kimber recommendation of 124-147 gr hollow points. I would have to work on my grip with this gun as a few times I fired the last round and the slide did not lock back no doubt due to my holding pressure on the slide release. That was with a two hand grip. When firing single handed my thumb tended to be more forward and did not interfere with the slide lock. I actually prefered shooting it single handed. Somehow I felt like I had a better grip on it than using two hands. Also I did not use the sights while doing single hand shooting. I did 3 round bursts and hit right where I wanted to. It's accurate alright.

I did not find the Solo hard to handle or shoot accurately. I think it did great. But the problem I do have with it and I'm sure practice and proper technique would improve is the magazine release! Man I could not get a feel for how much pressure to get that thing to release. It always felt like something was interfering with it. I have to say I only tried releasing it with my right thumb (right hand grip) and not the ambi-mag release. I am very much in love with the paddle mag release of the HK USP and Walther P22. I use my middle finger and don't break grip much to release the mag. Just seems more natural for me. Right now if I bought it I wouldn't even bother carrying a spare mag as I'd never get it reloaded in a fight.

As far as I see it the Solo is a "get off me" gun. It's meant for quick deployment from good concealment. BAM BAM BAM! Scan. Run. And I had hoped to be able to pocket carry it but I do not wear jeans large enough to do that. My cargo pants would be fine with its angled pocket opening. I could have a pocket holster and the Solo just fine with those types of pants. My idea is to have a Solo also for when I dress a little nicer and my slacks don't allow for my USPc in my Supertuck.

Well there it is. Take it for what it's worth. Add to it if you think I've missed the point of the gun.

+1 :yesway: Kimber for making me lust over their new creation.
    +1 :yesway: Midwest Gun And Range for having one I could rent and try out.
    +1 :yesway: You for reading this far. :ingo:

Last edited:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Gotta bump up this thread.

Has anyone else had a chance to shoot one of these?

I've heard them compared to Kahrs. People have said that they are a lot like a Kahr only better. I LOVE my Kahr and am contemplating picking one of these up...

Muntz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Interesting read. I have several Kimbers and this one has got a lot of hype. I have a Colt Pocketlight and I love the trigger. Purchased a Sig P38 because the Colt keeps going up in value and I thought I should store it away. I was dissapointed in the Sig but have some custom grips on order to see if that helps. The Colt has somewhat thicker grips. Let's see if that works. The Pocketlight sets the bar prety high for a .380 carry gun but the prices are getting hard to justify.h

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I would just like to be able to find one. I have looked EVERYWHERE in Indiana since they came out and yet to be lucky enough to find one. It would be interesting to her from some more users as I am hearing a lot of mixed reports from people I know that have shot them.

Top Bottom