• barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Kahr CM9 First Impressions / Range Report

Summary:

I recently purchased a Kahr CM9 from Bud's Guns in Lexington, KY for $424 shipped. The transfer was processed through Four Guns in Lafayette, IN for $15. I picked it up Wednesday (06/08) and shot it for the first time on Saturday (06/11) at Applied Ballistics in Lafayette, IN.

The fit and finish of the gun was first rate, with no apparent mold marks on the polymer frame and only a few visible machining marks on the inside of the slide. This may be Kahr's "budget" gun, but it is a fine piece of kit overall. I had long considered getting a Kel-Tec PF9 for pocket carry, however, the CM9 is better made, has a nicer trigger and based on reviews of the Kel-Tec, much better to shoot. More on that below.

Ammo:

200 Reloads, 4.0 gr Bullseye under 125 gr Missouri Bullet LRN.

Pre-Shoot Prep:

Field stripped and lubed with CLP. The gun was dry fired about 150-200 times before I took it to the range.

Accessories:

I ordered one spare 7 round magazine ($33) and a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster ($19) - both from Impact Guns.

Shooting impressions:

To start, the gun has good ergonomics. I can reach the slide release and the mag catch with little effort. The grip angle is good and the surface of the grip is textured enough to allow for a good grip without being too abrasive.

The slide was a bit tight at first, but the dry-firing and the first shooting session smoothed it out a bit and now it is no more difficult to cycle than my G19.

Both in dry firing the gun and actually shooting it, the one thing that stands out the most is the quality of the trigger. The pull is about as long as a Glock, but much smoother and more linear feeling. There is basically no take-up or play and the trigger breaks cleanly and consistently. There is little to no discernible over-travel either. The reset is long but terrific - the guns resets so quickly and so positively that the face of your trigger finger might get sore, though no worse than from loading the magazines. I anticipate this "reset soreness" is something I will get used to and it will eventually go away.

Being a pocket 9 MM, I expected the recoil to be pretty bad. However, I was pleasantly surprised with how manageable it was. Follow-up shots were relatively easy and I could empty a mag in a few seconds with no issues and no significant loss in accuracy. I shot 200 rounds in less than 40 minutes and though I got a bit recoil sensitive towards the end, I did not have any issues with numbness, abrasions from the grip or sore hands.

Reliability:

Kahrs have a reputation for being a bit finicky out of the box and the owner's manual does recommend a 200 round break-in. I was expecting to have at least a few issues and I actually had none. The gun fed, fired and extracted perfectly. The slide locked back on an empty mag every time and the mags would drop free when you pressed the release. I did find that you had to relax your grip a bit or the palm of your shooting hand would prevent the mag release from being depressed fully, but that was a minor issue and likely caused by my larger than average hands.

Accuracy:

For my range session, I fired 150 rounds at 5 yards and 50 rounds at 15 yards. I do not expect to use the gun at 15 yards - with a pocket pistol at 15 yards, evasion is probably the better course. Further, I bought the gun to (eventually) carry while running or riding my bike and could be all out of breath if I ever need to use it. Regardless, if I have to use this gun for self-defense, I expect to use it inside of 20 feet or so.

Anyway, here is my 5 yard target. The gun shoots a bit to the left, though I doubt I will try and fix it. I am looking for combat accuracy and this gun has it in spades.

picture.php

My 15 yard target was not as good. I was getting a bit recoil sensitive and I really did not slow down as much as I should have. 6 rounds off the paper was not good.

picture.php

Note that the black circle in the center of the target is 3 inches in diameter and the target itself is 8.5X11. So at 5 yards, most of my shots were into about 3.5 inches and at 15 yards my assailant is on the ground and hurting.

Post shooting pictures:

The Bullseye powder dirtied it up pretty good, but there was no effect on function. I do not have a good enough camera to take a good bore shot, but there was little to no evidence of leading and quick scrub with CLP and a bore brush took care of that.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Summary:

I am very pleased. The gun is a joy to shoot, has an excellent trigger and is very accurate. The review that GunBlast did on the CM9 argued that since a CM9 and one spare magazine was over $100 cheaper than the PM9 and no less accurate, there is little reason to recommend the PM9 over the CM9. I agree fully. Obviously, you can get night sights on the PM9, but for this gun's intended purpose, I am not convinced night sights are necessary.

The pocket holster works very well and the gun conceals well in jeans or similar pants. Both magazines worked fine and I really did not notice a difference in shootability with the extended mag versus the flush-fit mag.

Overall, a great gun that I am very happy with. I am even considering a getting a bigger Kahr as an EDC and selling my Glock. Glock could definitely learn a thing or two about making a good trigger from Kahr.

Finally, I have had good experiences with all of the vendors mentioned in this post. Particularly Missouri Bullet Company, whose bullets I reload exclusively and heartily recommend.

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Glad to hear that Kahr maintained their quality in a less expensive package!!! I have been carrying the PM9 since it came out, also in a Nemesis holster and can't say enough good about it. Mine has been 100% in over 2000 rounds and the pistol is almost as tight as the day I got it. Exactly as it should be for a constant companion!

Hope you continue to enjoy yours as I do mine.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Excellent report. Thank you for the write-up.

I took my new CM9 out last weekend as well. Exact same experience as you. I ran 60 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr fmj, 18 rounds of Federal HST 124gr., and 18 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P, without a single issue. I love the trigger, accuracy, and manageability as well. I carry mine in a Remora #4 pocket holster.

This was my first Kahr. Probably won't be my last.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Excellent report. Thank you for the write-up.

I took my new CM9 out last weekend as well. Exact same experience as you. I ran 60 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr fmj, 18 rounds of Federal HST 124gr., and 18 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P, without a single issue. I love the trigger, accuracy, and manageability as well. I carry mine in a Remora #4 pocket holster.

This was my first Kahr. Probably won't be my last.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Thanks for the review.

I'd adjust the sights to bring your shots back to the right.
    The farther out you go the farther "left" your shots will impact.
    If you ever have to use it for a target 25 yards out (or more), it looks like you could easily miss.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks for the review.

I'd adjust the sights to bring your shots back to the right.
    The farther out you go the farther "left" your shots will impact.
    If you ever have to use it for a target 25 yards out (or more), it looks like you could easily miss.

I want to shoot it some more first. I tend pull a bit to the left with new guns. If it is still a bit left after 500 rounds, I will probably shoot it from a rest and make adjustments as needed.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    450 Round Update

Update:

Today, the gun had 100 rounds of my 9 MM reloads and 50 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense shot through it.

My friend who shot it had a couple cases where the gun failed to go back into battery, but that was due to limp wristing and not an issue with the gun.

The Hornady rounds functioned flawlessly. The trigger is getting better and I am still 100% pleased with it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom