• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zekedageek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Bloomington
    I noticed some of the primers on spent brass looking odd, then noticed the bolt face on my Beretta 92fs (Italian) has got a grove around the firing pin that appears to let the primers blow slightly, shooting the same bullets in other guns without this grove the primers are nice and flat. I've heard others have had this problem and have had to tig-weld the breech face and re-drill the pin hole, or buy a new slide. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions or any idea where I can get the work done down around Bloomington?

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

Thanks!!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You might try giving Beretta a call. Although they are not famous for answering their phones in a timely manner, they might be able to work out something to get you fixed. That is obviously not correct and they should be made aware of it.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I noticed this same issue on a buddy's Taurus (Berreta knock-off).

So is this a real issue? What problems could this cause?

Thanks

Mark

zekedageek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Bloomington
    Phoned Beretta, they transferred me to Midwest Gunworks in Missouri, the closest authorized service center. The gentleman an Midwest Gunworks said it's definitely something to be concerned about and that I should send it in for an assessment. I'd hate to go through the trouble to ship it, hoping I can find somebody close by.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Ammo in photo is Federal, wally-world specials... Problem appears to be ammo independent though...

Seems like there is some Fiocchi mixed in, but specifically the primer color is wrong for the Fiocchi and the Federal.

Me thinks you have reloaded ammo that is a bit warm and causing the primer to flow up like that.

Get some ammo, preferably NOT from a gunshow touting it as WWB or Federal, and shoot it, photo the results. The marks on the slide breachface appear relatively normal, just dirty and likely from the crap ammo.

I don't think there is anything wrong. What appears wrong is the ammo...

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    The firing pin hole in the breechface of your 92fs is much larger than the one in my 92fs. Mine is just large enough for the firing pin.
    It doesn't surprise me that the primers are flowing into that area as there is not enough material supporting them. Whether or not it is an issue, I suppose would depend on the primer failing in that area and allowing gas back onto the breechface and/or into the firing pin hole.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    The firing pin hole in the breechface of your 92fs is much larger than the one in my 92fs. Mine is just large enough for the firing pin.
    It doesn't surprise me that the primers are flowing into that area as there is not enough material supporting them. Whether or not it is an issue, I suppose would depend on the primer failing in that area and allowing gas back onto the breechface and/or into the firing pin hole.

+1

Based simply on the photographic evidence, I would say your problem is independent of the ammunition. There appears to be a manufacturing defect or something done post-factory to the firing hole. It almost looks like someone tried to countersink the hole. I think it is too concentric to be degradation from firing. I'm not an expert so ....

Get to a gunsmith for an opinion or send the slide back to Beretta.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Doesn't look much different than my 92-F and I have never seen primers look like that. Mine does have a small chamfer around the diameter of the hole. Also, it apprears, same as yours, to be a larger diameter than the firing pin, but we are looking at the end of the pin, not where it will be larger.

I agree with the other poster that pointed out the ammo obviously isn't what it was thought to be. I would buy a box of known ammo and see if it does the same thing. If it does the same thing then, I then would talk to Beretta.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Seems like there is some Fiocchi mixed in, but specifically the primer color is wrong for the Fiocchi and the Federal.

Me thinks you have reloaded ammo that is a bit warm and causing the primer to flow up like that.

Get some ammo, preferably NOT from a gunshow touting it as WWB or Federal, and shoot it, photo the results. The marks on the slide breachface appear relatively normal, just dirty and likely from the crap ammo.

I don't think there is anything wrong. What appears wrong is the ammo...

Yeah, there isn't even any Federal brass in that pic, just Fiocchi and Winchester. Like Disposable said, Federal Champion (Walmart stuff) has silver primers in their cases.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just noticed that the Winchester marked cases are +P which Beretta says is not a good idea in their pistols. The owners manual recommends against using +P rounds. Don't thing that should damage the area around the firing pin but would figure it hurting the recoil spring and the locking block.

Top Bottom