• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Scored myself a pinned & recessed S&W M19-4 Combat Magnum today, I am really looking forward to taking it to the range tomorrow as it's been awhile since I've owned anything chambered in .357 magnum.

Anyway here is the mandatory photo:

IMAG0002.jpg

It has some carry wear & tear on it's finish & small chips/wear on the grips but it doesn't appear to have been fired very much, the rifling, lockup, timing, gap, forcing cone, top-strap, etc is all perfect.

After a thorough cleaning, the action is just as buttery smooth as I could have ever hoped for, very pleased so far, even more pleased considering what I paid for it.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I haven't shot my 19-4 in probably a year! But I take it out of the safe to wipe it down and just to look at more than any other handgun that I have.

357 mags are brutal through it, and I've probably only shot a dozen or so. .38sp are plenty fun though.

Let us know what you think of it, richardr. I have feeling you'll like it.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Well I haven't owned a .357 since the late 80's so I'm looking forward to putting some downrange with it tomorrow, I'll probably start with a couple of cylinders of 158gr magnums just for ****s & giggles & then switch over to .38spl target loads.

I think I also have some 125gr magnums around here somewhere, but they are left over from the last .357 I owned so finding where I put them might be a task in & of itself.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Well I haven't owned a .357 since the late 80's so I'm looking forward to putting some downrange with it tomorrow, I'll probably start with a couple of cylinders of 158gr magnums just for ****s & giggles & then switch over to .38spl target loads.

I think I also have some 125gr magnums around here somewhere, but they are left over from the last .357 I owned so finding where I put them might be a task in & of itself.
    I would start with the 38 SPECIALS first, cause the kick mite make your hands shake & you won't get to shoot to accurate:twocents:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I am not too worried about that Gunman, I've been shooting a very long time & it'd take a handgun actually smacking me in the forehead to rattle me.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Depends what a lot is. The K frame I believe started out life as a 38 frame so from that point of view yes it would be best to limit full house loads. Personally I just sold to a friend a 6" model 19 that had at least 10K 38 special target loads through it with probably at least 1K of full house 357 loads through it. Lock up is tight and it still shoots every bit as good as it did when I got it new. I'd say shoot it till it wears out, then either fix it or replace it. It's a tool, nothing lasts forever.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

don't give it a steady diet of 125's....seen a lot of cracked forcin' cones and nasty flame cut frames from them....they like 158's much better....very nice 19 you have there!!!.....

19-5 nickel on the right....

2vwxu2s.jpg

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Ghitch, very nice pair of smoke cannons ya got there man.

I am thinking about adding a scope to the top of mine, guess it'll depend on how well I can shoot it with the iron sights, but I am starting to get kind of old & my eyesight just isn't what it used to be.

I'll probably give the folks who live around the range another hour or so to sleep in & then I'll head out that way to crank off a few OMFG!'s with it.

Anyway if I do decide to scope it, does anyone have suggestions as to what sort of scope base I should use? it's already drilled & tapped for the adjustable rear sight so if there is a scope base that'll drop in without any additional drilling/tapping I'd prefer to go that route.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    If there is a revolver with prettier lines than a Smith K frame I don't know what it is!! nice, nice, nice, nice...did I mention that's a nice gun?

Top Bottom