• ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Diamondback DB9

I know there was a previous review of this new-ish pocket pistol in 9mm by Que, but I thought I'd give my perspective as well. I took the DB9 out to the range twice over the labor day weekend. I've put just over 200 rounds through it now with the help of some folks at the pistol range as everyone seems anxious and excited to give it a try.

DB9incase.jpg

I bought the DB9 to replace my Ruger LCP for a conceal carry weapon. This is not really a range toy so I just wanted to get some rounds through it to cycle it in, get to know the ins and outs of the pistol, and to become more proficient with it. To me it is not really more or less enjoyable to shoot than the LCP, but overall I would say it is very snappy. A few of the other guys who tried it out said they couldn't wait to get through the mag of 6 and that it felt more like 12 or 18, but I don't see that much difference in my hand discomfort with either the LCP or DB9. I did buy a Hogue grip for mine made for the pocket pistols on the market and it fits and looks great in my opinion. I haven't shot it since adding the grip however. Here's with the Hogue Grip installed:

DB9withHogueGrip.jpg

The first day out I shot through 2 boxes of Federal 9mm target ammo.

DB9FederalFMJ.jpg

It shot the 100 rounds with 5 jams. One of the jams was the most severe in that an unfired round was jammed in the barrel and I had to use my knife to pull it out. Wasn't too hard to do but the biggest criticism I have is that there is no way to lock the slide back on the pistol. It takes some getting used to to clear a jam such as the one I mentioned. The other 4 jams resulted in an improper feed and can be seen here. Merely pulling back the slide helped to refeed the bullet in these cases.

DB9jam.jpg

Although at first I blamed the gun for not being broken in, I believe now I was limp-wristing the shots. I have never had that problem, even with my G27, but I was able to correct the problem on the second day at the range when putting another 50 rounds of the Federal ammo downrange by changing my grip. A gentleman that was at the range helped me diagnose and fix the issue. I didn't catch his name so sorry for that. I will say that of the other 4 people who shot a mag through the DB9 over the 2 days, it had zero jams for them.

On the first day, I also shot a box of Winchester JHP 9mm ammo through the DB9 as well. It didn't have any problems running the hollow point. I also shot about 12 rounds of Hornaday Critical Defense through it as well with no jams.

DB9WinchesterJHP.jpg

The sights on the DB9 are much better than any of the pocket 380 that I have owned or looked at. There may be some others with adjustable and replaceable night sights but certainly not all. Diamondback did a good job with the sights in my opinion.

I wasn't a crack shot with it yet, but I could at least hit the paper from 8 yards on the pistol range.

DB9Target2.jpg

and

DB9Target1.jpg

Overall I am very pleased with the quality and performance of the DB9. I agree with other reviews that I have read in that the slim fit of the DB9 makes it most uncomfortable to shoot, but that is the main selling point for me in the comfort of the conceal carry ability of the pistol. There also aren't many aftermarket products for them yet, so the availability of magazines and holsters is still limited. And last, the lettering on the slide itself is not really as deep as I think it should be, so the lettering isn't as defined as what I'd like to see or what you'd see on other firearms.

I find that it is just as easily carried and concealed as the LCP with the DB9 overall slide being only 1/2 inch longer and it being actually a bit thinner.

I'll try to give a further update after I've carried it for a while and shot it more with a continued variety of ammo.

Thanks,

S4F

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I too shot my new to me DB9 over the weekend and would agree with just about everything you said. I had one FTE early out of 150 rounds. It is a beasty to shoot and my hand felt sore immediately after shooting. I plan to add a gripall also which should increase control a bit.

I bought mine to ankle carry at work so the marginal size difference (smaller) was important to me.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Nice review! I have noticed many of these popping up in the classifieds though, is it a bear to shoot? Just wondering because I have been thinking about getting a smaller pistol to hide and this one has had a lot of exposure lately.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Nice review! I have noticed many of these popping up in the classifieds though, is it a bear to shoot? Just wondering because I have been thinking about getting a smaller pistol to hide and this one has had a lot of exposure lately.

Due to its small size, 12 oz weight and 0.78" wide grip, the felt recoil is above average. Per online stats, it is 0.12" narrower than the Kahr CM-9 and 1.3 oz lighter. Doesn't sound like much but it apparently makes a difference.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN

I don't think that it is that bad. It certainly is manageable. It's not that you can't hold onto it, it just is thin and snaps back into your hand. To me, it is no less comfortable than the LCP. Other folks who have shot mine said it was too much for them however to shoot enjoyably. I think it is a great conceal carry. I plan to shoot it often and frequently enough to become more comfortable and proficient and carry the heck out of it.

Jolfe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Muncie
    Thank you for a great review. I'm in the market for a pocket 9mm and this is one the guns I'm considering, together with the CM9 and the Sig P290 (not quite out there yet). I think the LC9 is too big.

Top Bottom