Anyone tried the .22 conversion for Glock?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I have a new Glock 26 9mm. I need lots of practice with it. I've been thinking about getting the Advantage Arms .22 conversion. That way i can shoot a lot more, and spend less. We enjoy plinking with .22s anyway, and only have one in the collection right now. Any thoughts?

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    I've had one in the past and I enjoyed it for a while. While it is nice to be able to practice cheaply with the same gun you carry, most of these conversions are very ammo sensitive and only like to run on hot .22's like CCI mini mags. If you're just looking to do some plinking you may be better off just buying a ruger MK II or III or even a browning buckmark. Both of those guns will run reliably on standard velocity ammo. :twocents:

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I can't say about Advantage Arms kit for the Glock, but I have an AA kit for 1911, it has worked better than expected, even better than AA said it would work. Unlike the striker fired guns which have their main spring inside the slide (striker spring), 1911 kit's performance is related to the main spring's weight. They gave me an 18-lb main spring, saying if I use the original 23-lb main spring, I might get jams. They were right. If I use the 23-pounder, the only thing that works is the Mini Mag. After I installed the 18-lb spring, almost everything work, even the Federal 550 bulk pack from Walmart, which they specifically advised against using, worked just fine. I bought each and every kind of 22 ammo from Wallyworld. The two kinds of Winchester I got from Walmart, the 555 bulk, and Super X, were even weaker than Federal. So for the top one or two rounds in a full mag, when the mag spring is compressed the most, I'd get an empty chamber after firing a round (the slide didn't cycle completely)...

They also advise against using CCI Stinger, too hot. I tried a box, it worked perfectly. I've had it for almost half a year now, so far only Winchester ammo gives me FTF, and only the top few rounds in a fully loaded mag. I can live with that...

Trpanther

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I own both a Glock 23 and Glock 19 I have the advantage arms conversion kit and it works great as long as you use the ammo they recommend I use Remington gold bullet works just fine. Every now and then will get FTE or FTF make sure you keep the conversion kit clean if you get FTE take it off and clean it a little.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I think the challenge is finding a conversion kit that is available. I'm interested in one as well but everywhere I look I see "Out Of Stock". Let me know if you find one. I'll give you first dibs. :)

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I've had one in the past and I enjoyed it for a while. While it is nice to be able to practice cheaply with the same gun you carry, most of these conversions are very ammo sensitive and only like to run on hot .22's like CCI mini mags. If you're just looking to do some plinking you may be better off just buying a ruger MK II or III or even a browning buckmark. Both of those guns will run reliably on standard velocity ammo. :twocents:

We have a Browning Buck Mark for plinking, it is a fun little gun. I was wanting the conversion so i could practice more cheaply with the Glock. I am not hitting well with it, and i want to get better. most of my shots tend to go low, i think when i am squeezing/pulling the trigger, i am letting the gun drop a bit. Hubby has watched me and he says i look like my form is good, not flinching or anything. I am getting better, but a long way from accurate!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I have a ADVANTAGE ARMS 22 LR kit & it shoots just fine, only thing, it cost as much as a 22 LR handgun

Yeah i know- but it might be a really cool, fun and useful 22 handgun! Do you feel like it has helped train you to be more accurate with that gun? being able to shoot my Glock all afternoon sounds like a good thing to me!

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I think the challenge is finding a conversion kit that is available. I'm interested in one as well but everywhere I look I see "Out Of Stock". Let me know if you find one. I'll give you first dibs. :)

This. Some people I know have been on the waiting list for a year now! :eek:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I think i may have found one, i ordered it, and haven't gotten a notice about backorder or anything yet, but i won't hold my breath! I'll let you know if i really do get it.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yeah i know- but it might be a really cool, fun and useful 22 handgun! Do you feel like it has helped train you to be more accurate with that gun? being able to shoot my Glock all afternoon sounds like a good thing to me!

My brother in FL has one for his Glock 19 and I got to shoot it this summer. It performed flawlessly, and shots grouped very well, and yes, it helped me train.

I started centerfire that day and was not shooting very well. Then we switched over to the AA kit, and I was able to focus on trigger, grip, sight picture, with my brother giving me some pointers and put a lot of lead down range.

We switched back to centerfire and I was definitely shooting better, as the mechanics all carried over since the lower was the same, so trigger/grip, etc were exactly the same.

My brother also has a Crimson Trace installed and the AA kit shoots to the same POI for him. (The day I was using it I turned off the Crimson Trace as I wasn't interested in training with a laser as I don't have one on any of my Glocks.)

I will be picking one up myself.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Bumping this old thread... I stopped by PSS tonight and they have some of the AA kits in stock. I put one on layaway for my Glock 27. They had several for 1911s, one for Glock 20/21 and I believe a couple more for some other Glock models. I don't remember exactly all the Glock models they had them for.

They are $284.99 + tax.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

Where are you? We have two Advantage Arms 17/22 conversion kits inbound to the shop next week...

Top Bottom