• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I just picked up my XDM 40 3.8 Compact. Does anyone know how many rounds are recommended to properly seed everything? I want to make sure it's broken in before carrying. I've heard any thing from 50 to 250 rounds. 200 rounds seems like a lot if there are no problems with the first 100 or so.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Comfort factor.

I normally run through a few boxes 100 - 150 to feel safe that the firearm is functioning properly. I always run a couple boxes of the PD ammo I will use just to make sure it will cycle properly with that ammo. That being said, there is no guarantee that after you fire 2000 flawless rounds that round 2001 will FTF. Gotta find your own comfort factor.

abmears

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Congrats on your new xdm! I ran at least 200 through mine before I was comfortable with it. I wouldn't necessarily stick to any certain number of rounds for break in. Just shoot until you are comfortable with it, and can trust it. I had a few ftf in the first couple boxes. After that it has done well with everything I've fed it.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Thanks!! I was thinking 150. A buddy is excited to shoot it too and said that he will bring 50 to "help" break it in. I will run a minimum of 100. If i have any ftf then I'll put another 100 through. I really like the PDX1s so I'll put 50 or so more through it before I start to carry. This will give me a chance to figure out which backstrap I like better.

Elmoh01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Evansville In.
    WebHobbit and myself ran 250 rounds through his forty. 200 rounds of ball and 50 rounds of the ammo he is going to carry. We had no mishaps.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'll usually run a few rounds of my preferred carry ammo and roughly 150-200 rounds of FMJ ammo before I'll carry a new handgun. From my experience, a gun will give you issues in the first few rounds if there is indeed an issue with the gun or magazine.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have had 2 XD's and 2 XDM's. I never had any issues with any of them so it is hard to tell how long it took to break in :)

sandman76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2010
    i feel comfortable with any xdm. I never even shoot my new 5.25 but i took it out wednesday and shot plates and got second place.

mpluers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    My habit is to run 200 rounds through my pistols. That being said, I just ordered my third XDm (5.25), and I've never had any sort of a hiccup with any of them. I would describe them as Glock-like - they've been dead-reliable.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Yeah I run a couple hundred rounds through mine to make sure it's going to work, but I've never had a gun that I felt that I needed to break in.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    I had a new Rem R-1 1911, Remington rep and stores Gunsmith told me 500 rounds. But I was having serious problem right from the start, could not get 2 consectutive shots off. Who wants to spend $ for 500 rounds with a bad gun? You should know with in 100 rounds if somethings wrong. I put 120 rounds thru the Rem R-1 and never got more than 2 shots off, ended up being a bad trigger. Got my $ back and upgraded to the SA A-1 loaded, put 200 rounds thru it and never had an issue. Great gun & makes me look like a great shooter. In my mind 100 rounds you should know something about the gun. Good luck.

Top Bottom