• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I just seen on a TV show a guy shooting his Glock underwater, 3 shots without a jam.
    I know Glocks can shoot underwater, I have seen some tests on TV and videos online but I never seen several shots in a row.It was always one single shot.
    I can imagine that after the first shot the spent cassing could stay stuck in the chamber, because of the water not letting it fall like in the air, and make the gun jam.

So is it just TV magic or is it plausible?

I dont know if any one you actually tried by yourself.
    I would love to try but I dont know any range that would let you shoot your gun inside a big water tank.

It doesn't have to be a Glock btw, if you tried with another brand feel free to let us know. :D

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I have heard a few people who work on Glocks say you can do it. I was told that you need to change the spring cups to maritime cups. They will allow the Glock to fire more than once, rather than hydrolock.

You can search Youtube to see Glocks and all other sorts of guns shooting underwater.

Hope this was helpful.

trpsteelnuts

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I would'nt try it. The firing pin spring has what are called spring cups that hold the spring on the firing pin. There is a special marine version of these cups to allow them to shoot wet, but are not standard for Glock pistols, it is a special order so I would'nt try it.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I don't know about the spring issue, but the empty case should not be an issue since the extractor would remove the case from the chamber and the ejector would still bump the case out of the ejection port.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would'nt try it. The firing pin spring has what are called spring cups that hold the spring on the firing pin. There is a special marine version of these cups to allow them to shoot wet, but are not standard for Glock pistols, it is a special order so I would'nt try it.

But once you have those on you can still shoot in the air right? :D

I mean it just gives you more options without giving anything back?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    From that video it looks like you can shoot multiple times underwater with a factory Glock (without marine mods), it just not 100%, it may or may not work.
    The main downside of shooting underwater, besides not knowing if you will have more than one shot with your standard gun, is that the bullet lose its energy very fast.
    I would only be effective in a self defense situation if you can shoot your target at point blank.
    Also I would think that a hollow point bullet would slow down even faster than a FMJ underwater because of the shape of the nose.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville

wow a 9mm FMJ only goes 2 feet underwater? I guess it is a combination of the bullet never getting up to speed since the barrel is semi obstructed as well as the additional resistance by the water once in flight.

I would think bullets fired from out of the water into the water would travel further than that since they can get up to their full speed before they hit the water ***note*** I do not recommend trying this as bullets can ricochet VERY unpredictably off of water.

If the above isn't true hollywood has some explaining to do because all the movies have bullets whizzing by the good guys head once he jumps in the water :D

Sounds like if you want some underwater firepower you'd have to go for a .357 revolver. Although the internals would probably rust all to hell unless you took it apart much more than I am comfortable with.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So to bring this concept into a real-life scenario, if I was fighting Aquaman, I'd have to use a FMJ round to penetrate well, and I can't stick my hand inside him and hope to get off more than a few rounds? (purple assumed)

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I would think bullets fired from out of the water into the water would travel further than that since they can get up to their full speed before they hit the water ***note*** I do not recommend trying this as bullets can ricochet VERY unpredictably off of water.

Mythbusters tried that a few years ago. Their result was the bigger the bullet the worse it was. A 50cal round disintegrated when it hit the water.

The problem is hitting water at that speed is like hitting cement.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    I would think the purpose is not to shoot underwater, but if the gun was to be submerged in any way the spring cups would allow you to pull out of the water and then fire as needed. I think a good example of this would be special ops or any one that works in a marine environment, just my opinion. Would also be good for all those "boating accidents" everyone seems to be getting into when they lose all their guns. A terrible shame.

Top Bottom