• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i was told at a gun store recently that a small short barrel handgun is actually more accurate. Though they did clarify and say that that is the case when the gun is clamped down and not shot by a human. He said this was because a long barrel will flex more. Is this really true? orm was he just blowing smoke. I always thought longer meant more accurate

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    ablsolute Theory VS. Actual Real world, its a theoretical discussion. The answer is yes under an absolute set of parameters. But such a small number of possible scenerios where that would be true I wouldn't put too much store in it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My gut instinct is, no.

Rifles, even shooting handgun rounds (think of carbines), are more accurate than any handgun.

I doubt the harmonics between a 3" and a 4" barrel are enough to see any difference. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I doubt the harmonics between a 3" and a 4" barrel are enough to see any difference. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

Yes, definitely wouldn't have enough of an impact to affect the flexing of said barrel. Now, if it was a 3" VS a 6+" barrel, I'd say the reverberation alone could come into play.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    SPLITTINGHARES.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    From what I understand, a large factor in accuracy when a human is firing a handgun is the sights...

A longer pistol can lead to more accurate sighting, and would generally be easier to control while pulling the trigger.

I am far from an expert marksman though... I am sure others with more knowledge can chime in...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yes, definitely wouldn't have enough of an impact to affect the flexing of said barrel. Now, if it was a 3" VS a 6+" barrel, I'd say the reverberation alone could come into play.
    Why do "hunting" pistols have longer barrels? Just for the sight radius? Even the ones that use scopes?

If shorter barrels were more accurate, then pistol hunters would put scopes on their sub-compacts. Right?

:dunno:

Not being argumentative! Just boggles my mind.... (doesn't take much).

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    for hunting and long range the longer the barrel (to a point) the more powder that burns so that you get increased Velocity

Thats why no scopes on sub compacts.

Its a pretty mute point because powder, and caliber would have an effect. were assuming that the barrel has the minimum length that it takes to get the bullet spinning, and that you picked a powder that burns before the bullet leaving the barrel, As to my first post every little thing has to be right, and as long as accuracy was measured at a close enough range that the bullet didn't pass through the sound barrier.

Powder burning outside the barrel and the bullet transition through the sound barrier would kill the short barrel theory.

Years and Years ago one of the gun magazines did a test in which they cut a barrel down 1 inch at a time and did testing. If I remember right there was a little bit of improvement to a point then it went the other way but the conclusion of the article was it was a silly thing to do for accuracy.

But to the point some benchrest barrel are somewhat short but some of that is they burn up the throat of a barrel and cut it and rechamber it so they can get more time out of a barrel.

Basically you were told a tiny truth with plenty of "IF's" around it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    It will lead to greater accuracy due to it's longer sight radius. I don't know what the size has to do with the trigger though...:dunno:

How it was explained to me, it has to do with the ability to control trigger release error, due to the longer sight radius.

It sounds good, but since the handguns that I have shot side by side have had more factors to consider than just barrel length :dunno:

At any rate, my biggest factor seems to be myself, so...

Oh how I wish I had this type of skill:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tied-t1fFsk&feature=related

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    A shorter barrel with the same profile will be stiffer then a longer one. In theory that should give it more intrinsic accuracy. A longer barrel will increase the sight radius and add more weight making it potentially more stable to hold and allow more precise sight alignment, potentially giving it more practical accuracy. Either way most firearms are more accurate then their owners.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    If said gun is held and fired by the human hand, the longer barrell [sight radius] will typically win. If said gun is held by a mechanical, stationary rest, accuracy should be pretty close whatever the barrell length.

[I'm talking about using the exact caliber, same ammo, same frame handgun, everything the same except for barrell length.] I'm also talking about typical handgun distances of 25 yards or less. This is my :twocents:.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Why do "hunting" pistols have longer barrels? Just for the sight radius? Even the ones that use scopes?

If shorter barrels were more accurate, then pistol hunters would put scopes on their sub-compacts. Right?

:dunno:

Not being argumentative! Just boggles my mind.... (doesn't take much).

Weight, sight radius, easier ability to add scope, and not too mention IMHO more accurate (due to barrel length). The said bullet has a greater amount to pick-up speed, and twist whilst being fired from a longer barrel. I'm not expert, just my wanna-be knowledge having self ;)

EDIT: Not too mention, most SUB's aren't available in large calibers. Not saying there aren't any, but none are really practical for hunting...think about it. A scope on a Glock 36, trying to hunt? A Judge with a scope, out hunting? I don't know about all that...

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    9mm out of my Keltec2000 is pretty Damn accurate!!! accuracy boils down to sight picture and trigger control.

jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    Okay everyone......put your hacksaws back in the tool box and don't start cutting your barrels off until this one gets some solid conformation. Maybe the longer barrelled pistols just need stiffiners welded to em:laugh:

Top Bottom