• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Hi guys i just recently trade out for my first 1911. The guy gave me a couple of mags with it witch were probly the oldest ones he had. Anyway the problem is somtimes when im on the last one or two rounds in the mag the slide locks back like the gun is empty and the round is sitting half way out of the magazine. What i think is happening is the mag spring is just worn out and when one round gets pushed into the chamber it pulls the next one out of the mag a little bit then the gun thinks its empty because that round isnt all the way back. The gun isnt jamed when this happens all you have to do is release the slide and it chambers the round.
    Any imput on this would be greatly appreciated thanks.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Chances are, replacing the spring (or better yet, just buying some decent mags) will not make that problem reoccur.

Which 1911 did you get?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    does it sound like its for sure a problem with the mag and not the gun?

Most of the time, to troubleshoot a problem...look at the ammo as suspicious first, and then the mags. If it's not either one...THEN look at the gun. But it seems like this is a "known problem", so ...spring for a new mag. ;)

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I would say get some good mags but if it hasn't been done in a while you might want to get a new recoil spring also

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    You indicated that you were given several mags. Is it one mag in particular or all of them? Are they all the same manufacturer? It could be they are all junk mags. It could also be that the follower may be out-of-spec or had some Bubba-gunsmithing done to it and is bent so much that it pushes up on the slide lock even with a round still in the mag.

Like anything, start with the least expensive possibility first. Try giving it a good detail stripped cleaning. Check the forums and youtube if you don't know how to detail strip it. It can be a challenge the first few times. You should know how to do this anyway and every so often, strip and clean it.

Try changing ammo. Especially if they are reloads or the ammo you are using is of questionable quality.

Try borrowing a functional mag(s) from someone else with a 1911. If you don't know anyone with a 1911, buy a decent replacement mag.

The mag release might be worn out. Take it out and see if it look beat up or worn out. It may need replacing.

If none of this t works, it might be time to take it to a smith.

The only good 1911 Smithy I know if is Verne Trester but I am not sure if he is still doing gunsmith work. I think he is (semi) retired and lives in Richmond now.

Good luck.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Thanks for calling it a slide-stop and not a slide-release!!!!

Nope, I meant mag release. I am thinking that since this is what locks the mag into place, it could be worn out or damaged/modified and cause the mag to be misplaced and engage the slide-stop. Albeit, not likely.

You bring up a good point though, it could be that the slide-stop is worn out or damaged/modified too.

Both are cheap, easy replacements that can be done by most anyone familiar with the 1911.

Did you mean "slide stop"?

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    whats causing the slide to lock before the last round is fired is that the last round is getting draged halfway out of the mag when the round before it is chambered. then with that round sitting too far forward in the mag the gun thinks its empty so i think its has to be a week mag spring or the top of the mag just isnt tight enough anymore.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    whats causing the slide to lock before the last round is fired is that the last round is getting draged halfway out of the mag when the round before it is chambered. then with that round sitting too far forward in the mag the gun thinks its empty so i think its has to be a week mag spring or the top of the mag just isnt tight enough anymore.

Is the little spring in the plunger tube free, and is the end of the plunger still shaped correctly? Is the detent on the slide stop deformed or worm (rounded edge)?

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Harokyle,

I THINK you are on the right track with the magazine feed lips being out of spec. An "inspec" mag sould be about .375" inside to inside on the lips, Hilton Yam at 10-8 suggests that once they get to about .390 or are no longer parallel things start to no workie.

Step one I would try some new "quality" mags (think Wilson, Tripp, McCormick). If that fixes it good to go.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Just a thought, since this was obviously a used pistol with God knows how many rounds thru it.... if this is strictly a recreational piece, by all means go right ahead and play with magazines. If you are going to bet your butt on it, replace EVERY spring in the pistol (Wolff springs are great) and Wilson 47D magazines are the gold standard. Then I would still fire 300- 500 rounds of what ever you think you will use routinely. Would you take off to California in a car with no maintainence in the last 100,000 miles and four bald tires???

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Take down and clean thoroughly.
    THOROUGHLY inspect for any burrs or nicks. Lube properly
    Then run your present mags and ammo.
    If still malfunctioning I'd try different mags.
    NEXT: Ball ammo preferably as some guns don't like hollow points/defense loads.
    DO ONE CHANGE AT A TIME SO YOU'LL KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS/is
    Since you don't know the round count it's very possible it needs freshened up with new springs.
    What brand? Full size, compact, ultra compact???

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom