• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • s&wluvr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    LaPorte/Michigan City area
    In reading through many of these threads I am seeing number of rounds shot. My questions are this these: Are these approximations or do most of you keep an accurate count of number of rounds put through your guns? Is there a particular reason to keep this information, such as having to have the firearm serviced at particular intervals?

I hope that this hasn't been covered in another thread somewhere, but when I did a search, I came up with way too many threads to search.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I keep a reasonable idea. For my match guns I am probably on a less than 10 rounds either way error. The others are more like, I loaded 2000 rounds of 9mm and I have 150 left this year so approximate round count 1850. Plus or minus a box... I'm guessing a lot of people do their round counts similarly. There are also guns that I would struggle to guess.

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    I can only speak for myself,but when I post a round count,it's an approximate number,not an exact one.....and yes,on some firearms,some parts can have an average life expectancy,so the round count kinda helps you be prepared for SOME breakages and/or malfunctions due to parts wear.................at least that's why I do it...just my:twocents:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Round count seems to be a fairly new thing the last few years. Guns are made to shoot a few thousand rounds at least. If the gun is in good shape, locks up good and has no obvious damage, I could care less how many rounds are shot out it. I plan on shooting it not make it a safe queen or try and resale it for near new.

Some of the best shooting guns I have owned have had a good number of shots through them. Well broken in and known to shoot straight.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i have a couple guns i keep a accurate log of rounds fired.

others i just have guesses. if its a fairly new gun it would be possible to make a good guess but most of my guns are guns i shoot alot and i could get a +/- 1000 guess but thats about it

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I keep a log every time I shoot. Rounds fired, FTE, etc. For my .22 rifle it helps me know what cheap ammo to avoid. Never had any problems with my pistols.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You will find a mixture here. Some track and some don't. Really couldn't tell you what percentage of each. I do track rounds. It's good for identifying problematic ammo and to see if modifications made any difference in performance. For my most commonly fired guns, it helps to flag when I might want to replace certain parts like the recoil spring.

DarkEyes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Danville
    The only new gun I have purchased is my Glock 26 Gen4. I have kept the side of the box for every box of ammo I have shot through it... I also mark the number of rounds if its not on it... I do this just for me. I never plan on selling it. I just like to know.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I keep an accurate up to date round count for my guns. 1. if I sell it I can let the buyer know. 2 it helps me keep track of malfunctions, if any.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    For competition match rifles, I keep a log book for each one, keeping track of the loads as well as the round count. For my trap shotgun, I buy primers 5000 at a time and keep a count that way, even if I shoot some of the shells in another shotgun. That is close enough. For pistols I do not even try to keep track. If I find anything worn out, I refit or replace it.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In reading through many of these threads I am seeing number of rounds shot. My questions are this these: Are these approximations or do most of you keep an accurate count of number of rounds put through your guns? Is there a particular reason to keep this information, such as having to have the firearm serviced at particular intervals?

I hope that this hasn't been covered in another thread somewhere, but when I did a search, I came up with way too many threads to search.

When I state a number on my MP.......I am within 50 rounds of it being correct. I know I shot a box of HD ammo just to make sure it wouldn't jam on mine.

Normally I shoot 100 rounds or so each week. Just to try to stay sharp...and sharpen up.

My round count since June is at 2800 now.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Round count

The great majority of my guns I would not bother to keep a round count. However, for eighteen of the 28 years I was with DEA, I carried a personally owned S&W Model 29-2, and consequently had to provide my own ammunition. I loaded 100-150 rounds per month for every one of those 18 years (this does not include thousands of rounds of issue ammo for the issue weapon and AR, and 12 gauge). The bare minimum 18,000 rounds went thru that Model 29-2, and the truth is probably much closer to 24,000.

The point is, when the old girl got a little loose, I sent her back to S&W, but was advised to retire the piece because of the danger of a piece of the barrel shank braking off and flying off at 90 degrees. By that time DOJ policy had changed and big magnums were no longer allowed. Had I not been able to furnish an accurate round count, I might not have received the warning. I keep a log of all handloaded ammunition, what exactly went into it, and which gun it was going to be used in (by serial). If something unusual ever happens, I will be able to reconstruct what happened.

Top Bottom