• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    Picked up a Heritage 22 revolver. Won't fire. Timing seems OK locks up good, just won't fire. Cylinder is a 22 mag. You can look down the barrel through the cylinder and see the firing pin when cocked(yes empty). Any one have any ideas on why this won't fire. Did they make any revolvers that were long rifle only and be set up differently?

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Does trigger work smoothly?

Can you pull the trigger and drop the hammer? If not check to see if the trigger screw is broken. Just had a similar issue on a single action .22.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Does it have the 22 lr cylinder and does it fire them fine?? It would check the transfer bar safety as well. I lets the hammer goes almost all the down but stops just before. Given the gun to many ppl to shoot and they couldnt figure out was going on because it looks like it is making contact. It should be a lil tab you can flip on the left side (pretty sure left but i may be wrong). Hope that is all that is wrong for you!

Last edited:

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    Yes,it has the transfer bar safety. It looks like when the lever is moved, the safety is pulled out of the way. The hammer drops fine and it seems as if it should work.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Firing pin too short?
    Cylinder too far forward?
    Do these have a spring loaded firing pin and could there be problem with the spring that's not letting the firing pin travel far enough?
    Could the firing pin channel have something in it that prevents full pin travel?
    Firing pin broken? (In the frame where you can't see it).

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    Pretty much looked at all that. I just can't see why it's not working. Half to take it to a smith I guess, doesn't look like I will be able to solve it.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you take the cylinder out and dry fire it you see the firing pin protrude, but no strikes on casings...hmmmm. Maybe try the same and put your finger over the firng pin hole, drop the hammer and see if it is actually striking or just momentum pushing it out. It should hit your finger tip with some force. If it strikes hard, then I would say the cylinder is mismatched to the frame, possibly leaving too much of a gap. That or like has been said, whoever had it before dryfired it peening the pin short.

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    I'll check to see if there is any force on the pin, didn't try that. Got it at a gun show, so I can't talk to the guy. Of course he said that it shot fine when I asked him about it and everything seemed good. The firing pin "looks" fine, got to be something though.

Top Bottom