• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    No this is not my EDC, but it is the one I carry when I go jogging (dog deterrent).

Beretta 21A (.22LR)...... I am having an issue with the casses sticking in the barrel, and I mean they are JAMMING in there (having to flip the barrel forward and push them out of there. It seems to only do this when Im doing target shooting and taking my time. If I do a mag dump, it runs flawless. I did 5 dumps Saturday and it was fine, but had 3 different jams this time (3-4 the last time I had it out before).

I have checked to see if there is something in the barrel thats catching the casing, etc. and cleaned the holy hell out of it and nothing has helped. Anyone got any ideas??

-MColford

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    What ammo?
    I have one that is rendered totally inoperable by any bulk-pack ammo.
    It doesn't miss a beat with CCI Mini-Mags.
    I couldn't believe these don't have an extractor.
    Just to be sure you should give the chamber an extra cleaning with a tight fitting brush.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    21A's are very finicky about which brand and product no. within a brand name that works in them. A lot of fellas have had good luck with CCI Mini Mags, Remington Golden bullets as a couple of examples. Mine loves the Remington Golden bullets. I would first make sure you have a clean chamber (no bullet lube build up) and then try one if the brands mentioned. You find good advice on Google as well, as that is where I got my ideas on ammo. 21A's require a high velocity round to work properly.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Like said before, the 21A likes high velocity ammo. They also must be really cleaned between use because they don't have an extractor.

Also, do not use any ammo that has a lot of wax on it as that too will gum it up. Hard to believe that the wax affects it, but not so much that it melts, the problem that even when it melts between the empty case and chamber, there is enough resistance to keep the round from blowing out. Found that one by buying cheap PMC thinking it was the same as the center fire stuff, but the rimfire is made in Mexico and has almost more wax on the outside of the round as powder on the inside, instantly gumming up mags and chambers.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    The 21a can be finicky about amo. I shot several mags full of stingers to loosen it up and then it would almost work with anything. It really loved federal Bulk. I wish I would of never got rid of mine. If it comes to a point you want to get rid of it , I have a NAA Mini Master I would Trade ya. Jim

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Im running Federal bulk right now. I will pick up a box of another mentioned to see if thats it. Like said I cleaned the hell out of this thing before taking it out this last time. Just puzzled that I can mag dump and it runs flawlessly, but actually aiming for every shot and it jams.

-MColford

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I see all these posts saying the 21A is finicky about ammo, I have hundreds of rounds through mine it eats anything so long as it is clean. Cheaper dirtier ammo crud's it up quicker but still works fine in mine..

ShootinDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Mine works great with Fed bulk. Iclean it about 250-300 rds. Have heard of people wrapping very fine steel wool around a 22. brush and spinning in the chamber, but never had to try

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Here is your answer..

Same here ...
    you may want to polish the chamber a bit .

Take a semi worn .22 cal. cleaning brush in a low speed cordless drill, put a dab of Flitz or other quality polishing paste, and just "Slick" her out.
    I've had to do that with several others+seems to work well..Bill.

PS: Do not get into the rifling when doing this..

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    My friend has a beretta like this and it runs fun with CCI***avoid winchester and remington....it ran perfectly with the cci ammo though...this will probably fix your issue other wise sell it to me for 50 bucks ;)

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Thanks for the help, and I aint selling it. Was grandma's purse gun forever..... Something we plan to keep in the family. Obviously it has more sentimental value than anything. But its still a firearm, and will be used as such. Shes roll in her grave if we let it sit and collect dust and rust.

-MColford

Top Bottom